Help Please!!!!

I'm going to try and make this short. LOL The other day, I tried to
install some older programs and they
wouldn't work so I threw them away. Well, I thought to myself, why not
install The Sims again. Well, I had
the same error message pop up.
This is what it said:

16 bit Window Subsystem
C:\Windows\System32\AutoExec.NT.
The system file is not suitable for running MS-DOS and
Microsoft windows applications.
Choose 'close' to terminate the application.

Now, I can't figure out what's wrong so I'm thinking those other
programs I threw
away were having the same problem as trying to reinstall The Sims. It's
been about
6 or 7 months since I had The Sims installed on my computer. I have Sims
2 and University.

I have Windows XP with SP2.........wonder if this SP2 is causing the
problem?
Has this happened to anybody else........any help is so much
appreciated.

At my wits end........Betty
5 answers Last reply
More about help please

    You've just lost a file:

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;324767
    --
    Cari (MS-MVP)
    Printing & Imaging

    "Cari" <Newsgroups1@coribright.com> wrote in message
    > You've just lost a file:
    >
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;324767
    > --
    > Cari (MS-MVP)
    > Printing & Imaging

    Thank you so much for the link. That was the problem. I appreciate your
    help.

    Betty

    Betty wrote:

    I've had this too, you may not have done it yourself as some spyware
    progs remove it with spyware. Anyway, here's an answer from elsewhere

    Go to the C:\windows\repair folder copy autoexec.nt to the
    C:\windows\System32 folder that should fix your problem. If not go to
    this link
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;324767 hopes
    this fixes your problem

    I also found this nice little page

    http://www.oldmp.com/forms/download/xpservicepack2.htm

    specifically aimed at sp2 users. I think that one has a download of
    the file if you by chance don't have the windows disc. Once you
    download it keep it handy, you'll probably need it again in the future

    --
    Paul (And I'm, like, "yeah, whatever!")
    Stop and Look

    Thanks Paul, that's what I did, copied it from the repair folder. I
    didn't know spyware could do this.
    Nice to know, I'll be extra careful. I appreciate your help too.

    Betty

    Betty wrote:

    > Thanks Paul, that's what I did, copied it from the repair folder. I
    > didn't know spyware could do this.
    > Nice to know, I'll be extra careful. I appreciate your help too.
    >
    > Betty

    you're most welcome. i don;t think it's the spyware itself which does
    the damage, but the removal of it. Apparently wires get crossed and
    programs assume that this particular file is defunct, so must be a
    fake... or some such convoluted nonsense :O)

    --
    Paul (And I'm, like, "yeah, whatever!")
    Stop and Look
    http://www.geocities.com/dreamst8me/