Help Please!!!!

Last response: in Video Games
Share
June 13, 2005 4:40:32 PM

I'm going to try and make this short. LOL The other day, I tried to
install some older programs and they
wouldn't work so I threw them away. Well, I thought to myself, why not
install The Sims again. Well, I had
the same error message pop up.
This is what it said:

16 bit Window Subsystem
C:\Windows\System32\AutoExec.NT.
The system file is not suitable for running MS-DOS and
Microsoft windows applications.
Choose 'close' to terminate the application.

Now, I can't figure out what's wrong so I'm thinking those other
programs I threw
away were having the same problem as trying to reinstall The Sims. It's
been about
6 or 7 months since I had The Sims installed on my computer. I have Sims
2 and University.

I have Windows XP with SP2.........wonder if this SP2 is causing the
problem?
Has this happened to anybody else........any help is so much
appreciated.

At my wits end........Betty

More about : question

Anonymous
June 13, 2005 4:40:33 PM

You've just lost a file:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;324767
--
Cari (MS-MVP)
Printing & Imaging

"Betty" <bdj2005@nospamvalor.com> wrote in message
news:D _2dnTSI5-mTWDDfRVn-2Q@valortelecom.com...
> I'm going to try and make this short. LOL The other day, I tried to
> install some older programs and they
> wouldn't work so I threw them away. Well, I thought to myself, why not
> install The Sims again. Well, I had
> the same error message pop up.
> This is what it said:
>
> 16 bit Window Subsystem
> C:\Windows\System32\AutoExec.NT.
> The system file is not suitable for running MS-DOS and
> Microsoft windows applications.
> Choose 'close' to terminate the application.
>
> Now, I can't figure out what's wrong so I'm thinking those other programs
> I threw
> away were having the same problem as trying to reinstall The Sims. It's
> been about
> 6 or 7 months since I had The Sims installed on my computer. I have Sims 2
> and University.
>
> I have Windows XP with SP2.........wonder if this SP2 is causing the
> problem?
> Has this happened to anybody else........any help is so much appreciated.
>
> At my wits end........Betty

June 13, 2005 6:42:40 PM

"Cari" <Newsgroups1@coribright.com> wrote in message
> You've just lost a file:
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;324767
> --
> Cari (MS-MVP)
> Printing & Imaging

Thank you so much for the link. That was the problem. I appreciate your
help.

Betty
June 13, 2005 10:42:44 PM

Betty wrote:

I've had this too, you may not have done it yourself as some spyware
progs remove it with spyware. Anyway, here's an answer from elsewhere

Go to the C:\windows\repair folder copy autoexec.nt to the
C:\windows\System32 folder that should fix your problem. If not go to
this link
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;324767 hopes
this fixes your problem

I also found this nice little page

http://www.oldmp.com/forms/download/xpservicepack2.htm

specifically aimed at sp2 users. I think that one has a download of
the file if you by chance don't have the windows disc. Once you
download it keep it handy, you'll probably need it again in the future

--
Paul (And I'm, like, "yeah, whatever!")
Stop and Look

Thanks Paul, that's what I did, copied it from the repair folder. I
didn't know spyware could do this.
Nice to know, I'll be extra careful. I appreciate your help too.

Betty

"Paul Heslop" <paul.heslop@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
> Betty wrote:
>
> I've had this too, you may not have done it yourself as some spyware
> progs remove it with spyware. Anyway, here's an answer from elsewhere
>
> Go to the C:\windows\repair folder copy autoexec.nt to the
> C:\windows\System32 folder that should fix your problem. If not go to
> this link
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;324767 hopes
> this fixes your problem
>
> I also found this nice little page
>
> http://www.oldmp.com/forms/download/xpservicepack2.htm
>
> specifically aimed at sp2 users. I think that one has a download of
> the file if you by chance don't have the windows disc. Once you
> download it keep it handy, you'll probably need it again in the future
>
> --
> Paul (And I'm, like, "yeah, whatever!")
> Stop and Look
> http://www.geocities.com/dreamst8me/
Anonymous
June 14, 2005 12:18:20 AM

Betty wrote:

> Thanks Paul, that's what I did, copied it from the repair folder. I
> didn't know spyware could do this.
> Nice to know, I'll be extra careful. I appreciate your help too.
>
> Betty

you're most welcome. i don;t think it's the spyware itself which does
the damage, but the removal of it. Apparently wires get crossed and
programs assume that this particular file is defunct, so must be a
fake... or some such convoluted nonsense :o )

--
!