Old CTX laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.

Archived from groups: alt.windows98,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

We're trying to bring this old POS back to use at work to do some Excel
functions. Has a Cyrix 266MMX multimeida MB/processor with a USB port that
I could never make work when I used it years ago, support desk even told me
the mb was a POS. Plugged in one of these little keychain USB storage
devices, and it found it! It's looking for a driver for it. Has W98SE with
all the updates, didn't know these little storage devices had a driver. Any
thoughts?
Thanks
Mark

pheasant wrote:
> We're trying to bring this old POS back to use at work to do some
> Excel functions. Has a Cyrix 266MMX multimeida MB/processor with a
> USB port that I could never make work when I used it years ago,
> support desk even told me the mb was a POS. Plugged in one of these
> little keychain USB storage devices, and it found it! It's looking
> for a driver for it. Has W98SE with all the updates, didn't know
> these little storage devices had a driver. Any thoughts?
> Thanks
> Mark

Win98/98SE has very little native USB support and a driver is necessary
for every USB device AFIK. For example, a common CF card reader
installs automatically in WinXP, it required a driver installed in
Win98SE before it would be recognized as a storage device. Sandisk
www.sandisk.com has Win98SE driver for its Cruzer devices. Your vendor
might also have a driver.

Archived from groups: alt.windows98,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

> the mb was a POS. Plugged in one of these little keychain USB storage
> devices, and it found it! It's looking for a driver for it. Has W98SE with
> all the updates, didn't know these little storage devices had a driver. Any

Win98 does not include a generic USB storage class driver. You must
upgrade to Win2000, WinME or XP. WinME would be my suggestion, though
I'm really reluctant to recommend that POS to anyone.

Or you could just try to hunt down the driver disk for your USB
pendisk; it probably came with a 98 driver.

Is this one of 'em light-gray colored jobs with a 12.1" active display with
ejectable floppy & CD ROM and NeoMagic video? A few of 'em were black...

These were sold with Windows 98 first edition OEM way back when - to the
likes of Circuit City and Best Buy, and the USB was a brand new thing back
then. Windows 98 (1st edition) really didn't handle USBs very well (since
the early releases came out at approx the same time that USBs came out),
but 98SE shouldn't have any problems at all.

A clean install of win98se would help solve the usb deal. However, on
this machine, it's video adapter and 56k modem drivers are NOT supported
by win98se - so you need to have those drivers handy before you wipe it
off with a clean install.

Hope it helps.

Charlie

On Mon, 26 Apr 2004 12:23:26 -0400, "bobchang"
<totallyincorrect@yahoo.com> wrote:

>Is this one of 'em light-gray colored jobs with a 12.1" active display with
>ejectable floppy & CD ROM and NeoMagic video? A few of 'em were black...
>
>These were sold with Windows 98 first edition OEM way back when - to the
>likes of Circuit City and Best Buy, and the USB was a brand new thing back
>then. Windows 98 (1st edition) really didn't handle USBs very well (since
>the early releases came out at approx the same time that USBs came out),
>but 98SE shouldn't have any problems at all.
>
>A clean install of win98se would help solve the usb deal. However, on
>this machine, it's video adapter and 56k modem drivers are NOT supported
>by win98se - so you need to have those drivers handy before you wipe it
>off with a clean install.
>
>Hope it helps.

True, Win 98SE does handle USB well, but you still need a driver for
one of those USB memory devices. Win ME did come with the driver, Win
98SE did not.

Charlie Hoffpauir

Your right. I've gone back to the original post and now I have no idea of
what's not working in that CTX :)