What do you think of this cooling method

squareenixx

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2011
Well I am thinking of over clocking my Phenom 965. At default its at 3.4 ghz and I have got it to 4ghz on air cooling but it makes little difference so I want around 5ghz.

Now would this work well and would it be sufficient to reach this. I am getting a liquid cooling system and the smallest bar fridge I can find that operates with gas coils just like your large fridge or freezer. I don't want them crappy TEC portable fridges.

What I am going to do is mouth the liquid cooler on just like normal but instead of using the crappy fan they give you to cool the radiator I am going to mount the radiator directly to the cold inner coils in the bar fridge which should be on the inside and behind some plastic.

So what are your opinions on this.

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
What I am going to do is mouth the liquid cooler on just like normal but instead of using the crappy fan they give you to cool the radiator I am going to mount the radiator directly to the cold inner coils in the bar fridge which should be on the inside and behind some plastic.

Not sure I follow which watercooling system you are referring to with 'the crappy fan'. Are you going to use the coils/compressor to run as a cooling system for the water, or are you simply going to use the coils to run the water through in order to cool vs. using a radiator?

squareenixx

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2011

Well as you know liquid cooling systems have fans attached to the radiators to cool them.

What I am going to do is take the fan off the radiator and place the radiator in the ice box inside a bar fridge. I might also leave the fan on if it helps cool the radiator with the sub zero air.

squareenixx

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2011
I thought of the best cooling method.

Get a mini freezer and take the back plastic panel off.

Now buy at least 6 radiators and attach them all to the cold coils.

Make sure the mini freezer is at least at -20 degrees Celsius.

Now OC like crazy.

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
No this won't work well, I've already explained in your other reply why you can't use a normal fridge/freezer for this.

Almost all radiators need fans...otherwise, how are you going to effectively move air over them? Even if you had access to a commercial deep freeze, you'd get BETTER temps WITH FANS. A passive rad will always be less effective than an active rad given the same ambient temps.

squareenixx

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2011

So let me get this straight if I have multiple waterblocks attached to freezing freezer coils and my liquid running though the waterblocks it has no effect.

If I put radiators coils taken out of their enclosure in a ice box it won't cool them at all.

Also not all radiators need fans, A better method is submerging coils in freezing liquid that circulates but I am guessing you going to tell me thats useless also.

So if none of this stuff works then what does.

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
So let me get this straight if I have multiple waterblocks attached to freezing freezer coils and my liquid running though the waterblocks it has no effect.

How are the freezing freezer coils going to be cooled? You are leaving out a substantial piece of your proposed configuration. Are you meaning leave the fridge/freezer as-is and attaching a heat exchanger/radiator directly to them or what...? I'm not completely following this statement.

If I put radiators coils taken out of their enclosure in a ice box it won't cool them at all.
By ice-box, you mean freezer? And no...a modern PC watercooling loop is going to be dumping several hundred watts of heat out. A household freezer or refrigerator is not capable of continually cooling that much heat wattage over a consistent period.

lso not all radiators need fans, A better method is submerging coils in freezing liquid that circulates but I am guessing you going to tell me thats useless also.
Yes, this is the EXACT same reason why watercooling performs much better than air cooling...the same principles in heat transfer apply. Water is capable of absorbing and moving far more heat watts than air. What you are saying here is called a 'slush-box'; essentially a watercooling heat exchanger/radiator from a closed loop placed inside something, like a cooler full of ice water.

Get away from using a fridge or a freezer unless you are actually going to be using the compressor to super-cool the actual water/coolant for the loop. This can be done, but it requires a completely different setup than what you are mentioning.