Sign in with
Your question

GA-MA785GM-US2H & OCZ Fatal1ty

Last response: in Motherboards
January 6, 2010 7:22:53 PM

Gigabyte GA-MA785GM-US2H mainboard:

I just finished assembling my system with this board and installed 4GB (2x2GB) of OCZ Fatal1ty DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) modules. The board only recognizes them as DDR2 800.

The OCZ timing settings of 6-7-7-20 don't seem to be available in BIOS.

Are their solutions for this combination, or do I have to go with another model of RAM.

In the end I want to install 8GB.
a c 177 V Motherboard
January 6, 2010 9:06:05 PM

Page 42 of your manual:
m
l
a b V Motherboard
January 7, 2010 8:09:29 AM

Yup, manually set the RAM Speed, Timings and Voltage in the BIOS.
The above screen shot from Your Manual shows where you will set the Timings.
You only need to worry about the first four settings on that screen.
Look in Your Manual to see where the RAM Speed and Voltage settings are.
Manually set these as OCZ recommends and you are all set.
m
l
Related resources
a b V Motherboard
January 7, 2010 11:47:09 AM

That was true before November 2007.
Since then however, JEDEC Standardized DDR2-1066.
All the DDR2 1066 currently being sold is native 1066Mhz RAM.
m
l
a c 177 V Motherboard
January 7, 2010 4:10:08 PM

Quote:
All the DDR2 1066 currently being sold is native 1066Mhz RAM

I have yet to see or hear of one piece of 'native' 1066; you will notice that, nowhere in 208 is there a 'native' SPD layout - and if there were, no one could use them anyway, as all the chipsets are 'native' 800, the BIOS assumes the first three columns are 800, and can only (if at all...) do 1066 with the aid of XMP/EPP...
m
l
a b V Motherboard
January 8, 2010 7:53:30 AM

So I guess all These DDR2 1066 1.8v CL7 Kits are not JEDEC standard 1066 parts?
And Micron did not Announce that it is will produce native DDR2 1066 Chips (all the way back in May 2007)?
And Micron is not currently producing JEDEC Standard 1.8v DDR2 1066 Chips (More Here)?
And the Phenom, Phenom II and Athlon II do not officially support DDR2 1066 (remembering that the AMD memory controller is onboard the CPU, not in the chipset)?

Just because Intel did not officially adopt the DDR2 1066 Standard does not mean that it does not exist and that parts are not being made that adhere to it.
m
l
a c 177 V Motherboard
January 8, 2010 3:02:01 PM

'JEDEC-spec' and 'native' are two different terms, and I think this boils down to what you are wiling to accept as the definition of 'native'; just because some marketing yutz (who doesn't know an electron from a small pea) calls something native doesn't just 'make it so'... And the computer press, which seems to exist to cheerlead their paying advertiser's products, picks this stuff up and runs with it...

nVidia called ESA (enthusiast systems architecture) an open standard solution to getting your hardware monitoring coordinated; sounded great, but my definition of 'open standard' includes "the SDK is here guys - run with it", NOT 'NDA-only, runs only on nVidia platforms...' And the computer channel are not the only people providing their own definitions; the other day I picked up a Hot Rod, as they reviewed the (Littelfuse') ISIS wiring system, calling it a 'programmable multiplexer' to simplify and enhance your car wiring tasks - which I have more than a passing interest in, as am in the planning phases of my second kit car. The only problem is - it's neither a 'multiplexer' (and I know more than a smattering about actual muliplexing - did a lot of it back in the eighties, when I/O was dear, and diodes were cheap...), nor 'programmable'. It is a set of mocrocontrollers based on a serial communications stack (CANbus), and though it apparently has a neat feature set, the user cannot access it - must be programmed 'by the factory'. I told them they've shot themselves in the foot, and that I'm better off with a few CAN-capable dev boards from TERN (who've been around approximately forever!), as I have absolutely no trust that the originators are: A, going to be capable of programming to my specification; B, affordable within reason; and, C, going to still be in business two years down the road, when I decide I want PWM 'ramping' added to my interior light...

Shakespeare said "a rose by any other name", and it's true, BUT, calling it a daylilly introduces all manner of confusion. Words have meanings, for a reason - they're our mind's 'map to the world'... Since the takeover of the 'politically correct', redefinition has become a plague, and they have a whole lixicon that requires a 'rosetta stone' to translate: "euphemism - the art of never saying what you mean, and establishing 'plausible deniability' for everything you do say..." Recently, we were treated to the spectacle of, on national TV, George Stephanopoulos, dictionary in hand, explaining to the president of the united states the definition of 'tax' - as well as the fact that your refusal to call it a tax, when it exactly fits the definition of a tax, does not magically make it 'not a tax'... There has even come to be a term and job-description for these 'serial re-definers' - "spin doctors!" Orwell warned us!

So, back to the matter at hand - if you accept the definition of 'native' to include, simply, actually manufactured to be 1066, and not simply 'binned' (although 208 does define the 'binning'), it's 'native'; if you expect native to mean 4.20.13 compliant with a primary SPD (per 21-c sub j) that will actually allow it's 'unattended' useage, well - no... Unless your MOBO supports EPP/XMP, and does it correctly, you'll be setting it up 'by hand'...
m
l
January 18, 2010 3:13:25 PM

bilbat said:
Page 42 of your manual:
http://img704.imageshack.us/img704/3158/143z.jpg

For all that replied thanks. As stated, the manual settings are there. However, The OCZ settings for TRCD & TRP are "7" and the TRAS "20" all are out of the boards available ranges of 3-6 for CAS, TRCD & TRP, and 5-18 for TRAS.
m
l
!