Painting Inside New case ** what should I use?**

snow cakes

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2009
I just got my new case in the mail for my new build. I want to paint the inside Matte Black. I want to know what I should use, and if it should be heat-resistant. I want a spray paint not a brush paint.

Thanks,
-cakes

siner55

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2009
I too would like to know some suggestions...i am planning on building a new rig soon and after trying to decide between the Silverstone Raven, (which has an all black interior) and the CM HAF 932, I settled on the HAF. I would like to paint the inside as well. Ive heard that its okay as long as you mask the grounding connections...but i am still unsure.

edit: check this out-
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261677-28-cooler-master-questions

IH8U

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2007
Yes, mask off the grounds. Also cover the motherboard standoff holes before painting (can use screws for this), remove the PCI slot covers as well (these can be painted seperate). Lay the case flat, and start painting, I suggest 3 or more coats (to make sure it's even). Don't forget to wet sand (reduces bubbles, and makes sure the paint is even).

shabaa

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
As someone who has tackled this job several times I have found an epoxy based spray paint has the best adhesion. In theory you are supposed to prep the surface to be painted by sanding but the epoxy spray paint has superior adhesion and you can get away without sanding. You also need to make sure that the surfaces are clean and free of dirt, dust and grease. I use alcohol to wipe the surfaces down with before painting and wait until it dries before you spray the paint. You do have to make sure that the mounting (grounding) holes are blocked off from the paint. I just used some extra screws screwed down securely. Any areas that “lock” together upon assembly may chip (like the side cover’s locking tabs) but this is un-avoidable unless you modify these locking tabs. You also need to make sure that you give the paint plenty of time to dry and do not be in a hurry. Just give it a few days to dry so that the paint is totally dry. Good luck!

snow cakes

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2009
thanks alot, I'm not good with paints at all, so when you say epoxy based paint, thats the only thing i need then? (an apoxy based black paint) and throw on 3 or 4 coats correct?

snow cakes

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2009

Ay sinner, I just got the HAF, its a really well built case you'll see for yourself when you get it. Painting the inside is only going to be hard because of the 5.25" drive base are hardware-free so there are moving parts connected to the steel-colored drive bays. I'm not trying to remove those, so i might just have to tape them off nicely. Idk, let me know what your going to do maybe we can help each other out.

thx