A few things about my 880gm-e41

anhero

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2011
I was OCing and it seems my 12v cpu connector shorted out on the motherboard. This is the second time it happened, but I was wondering a few things. Did I overvolt it and cause the short? The msi guy seems to believe my psu was at fault, but it has no issue on other pcs. The last voltage I used was 1.507 on a Phenom II x4 925 and it was clocked at 3.5ghz. I feel that I probably pushed my voltage too high in hopes to get a stable clock. Is that a more legit way cause the issue? I also know my 12v rail was also showing 11.880v in the bios, but I have never seen it while not OC'd and of course now the mobo is dead. The psu is a Coolermaster extreme 600w. I can RMA it no issue, but I'm looking to buy a different brand now, and probably sell that board to a friend. I'm aiming towards gigabyte/asus, but I wont have a budget till I get payed tonight.

To summarize:
Did I short it out or is it my psu?
Is the bios 100% correct on the 12v rail or is it possible its running perfectly fine? I do not have a multimeter or money to get one right this minute.

Sorry if I broke some rule, first post.

Pilk

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2010
LOL. Welcome to Toms Anhero. =)

The voltage rating through the bios is alright you wont always get a concurrent voltage anywhere really. Unfortunately this is not my strong point and the overlockers will need to assist here. As for the board personally i would lean towards Gigabyte a lot more robust product i find. Also has the Physical ATX connection blown or did you assume is there physical damage done to the port?

anhero

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2011
Eh this is so very old. Thanks for the welcome though. I currently sit on a 890FXA-GD70 and its pretty nice. I found out all my stability issues were because the current cpu market does not support higher than 1333mhz and anything else is an OC? Even if its stock. The more you know I guess.

As for that board, something between the ATX connector and everything else shorted out. Not sure why.

anhero

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2011
Sorry to disappoint but thats an MSI model motherboard. It was given to me for free by MSI as an upgrade and I must say its a lot better.