Sign in with
Your question

HELP BSOD on new system build??

Last response: in Systems
July 13, 2009 5:21:22 PM

I just built a new systems (see specs below) it ran fine for a bit, then I installed the drivers for the video card and got BSOD's after running the catalyst control center. After a few reboots, it was fine (though the resolution was off). I changed the refresh rate to 85 Hz which fixed the resolution. After about 1 hour, I have started to get BSOD's again. the BSOD forces an automatic reboot, and after that reboot, the system is fine for about 5 minutes and then I get the same BSOD...what's going on??? (i'm guessing something with the graphics card?)

Thanks for your help in advance!!!!

SPECs:
cpu: intel e8400
mobo: gigabyte ep45-ud3p
ram: 2x2GB OCZ2P10664
hdd: 2 x 500GB seagate barracuda raid 0
gpu: asus EAH3450
psu ocz modxstream-pro 600w

More about : bsod system build

July 13, 2009 5:22:20 PM

update: I am running windows xp sp2 32-bit
July 13, 2009 6:38:12 PM

If needed, I can send a dmp file...supposedly you can take a look at this and get a clue of what's wrong??

help!
Related resources
July 13, 2009 6:45:55 PM

I think it's kind of obvious your graphics drivers are at fault. Try reinstalling them or using a different version.
July 13, 2009 7:21:19 PM

yeah, i figured it had to be something along those lines.

could it just be an issue with the graphics card heating up? when i run at a lower refresh rate eg 75 hz, i think it runs ok... or at least it hasn't crashed yet...

my fault for getting a shitty graphics card... >.<
July 13, 2009 7:50:39 PM

Changing your refresh rate doesn't really affect the amount of heat your card outputs. It's just a driver issue, from the looks of it. You don't really need over 60 Hz, anyway.
July 13, 2009 9:03:41 PM

ATi drivers are notorious for failing. Are you using the newest available drivers for your card?
July 13, 2009 9:25:31 PM

yeah, i went to the asus website and dl'd the latest drivers. (interestingly, at 85 hz, the computer won't even stay on long enough to install drivers).

At 75 hz, everything is working fine...I guess I don't need to use it at 85 hz...but it just doesn't make any sense to me
July 13, 2009 9:28:54 PM

Remember to uninstall all of the previous ATI drivers before you install the new ones or you are asking for trouble. Use ATI clean tool.
July 13, 2009 9:59:42 PM

If I already installed the new drivers, will the cleaner delete those too? (i will probably try driver sweeper), or can it selectively delete the ones that aren't being used?
July 13, 2009 10:55:39 PM

thencalebthought said:
If I already installed the new drivers, will the cleaner delete those too? (i will probably try driver sweeper), or can it selectively delete the ones that aren't being used?

If it does don't worry about it, just install the new drivers again. You don't want them to both be installed, it is very very bad.

July 13, 2009 11:13:21 PM

Thanks all, I'll let you know if there are any further problems!
!