Sign in with
Your question

Failed unlocking of phenom II 720... what went wrong?

Last response: in CPUs
October 13, 2009 4:08:16 AM

Gigabyte GA-MA790FXT-UD5P

basically, i tried ACC auto, 4th core not showing up...

tried all cores, still not there...

tried -12 and 12%, won't boot, had to clear CMOS (pain in the ass as you had to take GPU out to take off plastic cap off CMOS)

dang it... might as well buy a real quad... Any potential good future quads on AM3?

main use is for gaming...
a b à CPUs
October 13, 2009 7:58:29 AM

Well, I dunno, maybe the 4th core was switched of for a reason? No guarantees, remember.

There are plenty of AM3 quads available. 945, 955, 965, with the 975 apparently on the way. 3.6GHZ, yummy!

But frankly, for 95% of games the 720 with 3 cores will do just fine.
a b à CPUs
October 13, 2009 8:22:41 AM

Yeah dont buy the 720 and expect to automatically get a quad out of it, its really not guaranteed and many people cant do it. I was able to unlock mine though :D 
Related resources
October 13, 2009 9:08:52 AM

Chronobodi said:

tried -12 and 12%, won't boot, had to clear CMOS (pain in the ass as you had to take GPU out to take off plastic cap off CMOS)

dang it... might as well buy a real quad... Any potential good future quads on AM3?

well I guess that if could not unlock the disabled core, then it is defunct.
a b à CPUs
October 13, 2009 12:10:12 PM

Nothing went wrong. The CPU is functioning precisely as advertised.
October 13, 2009 2:49:16 PM

the 975? when's that coming out? Yes, i know it's not really needed so much for most games, but i'm just wondering... and the specs of that processor?
October 13, 2009 2:51:03 PM

mi1ez said:
Nothing went wrong. The CPU is functioning precisely as advertised.

^^^What he said
a b à CPUs
October 13, 2009 7:49:26 PM

The 975 will be the same as the 965, a waste of money when all you have to do is get a 955 and raise the multiplier.....

October 13, 2009 8:25:25 PM

Chronobodi said:

For Gigabyte did you see an option in the bios called:

"EC Firmware for Advanced Clock Calibration"

It can be set to the following: (Wording as shown in the bios... bad grammar and all.)

Normal = Used AMD normal EC Firmware for Advanced Clock Calibration
Hybrid = Used AMD particular EC Firmware for Advanced Clock Calibration

From what I understand you set it to Hybrid to unlock cores/caches AND ALSO turn on the ACC. (May or may not need ACC. But think of "Hybrid" == "Unlocking mode".)
a b à CPUs
October 13, 2009 9:27:28 PM

OvrClkr said:
The 975 will be the same as the 965, a waste of money when all you have to do is get a 955 and raise the multiplier.....

+1. Besides, the 965 and I'm sure the 975 are/will be 140Watt TDP.
October 13, 2009 9:54:31 PM

keithlm said:

It can be set to the following: (Wording as shown in the bios... bad grammar and all.)

From what I understand you set it to Hybrid to unlock cores/caches AND ALSO turn on the ACC. (May or may not need ACC. But think of "Hybrid" == "Unlocking mode".)

This is what I did for my 720 and it unlocked it. Try and set it to 'hybrid' and 'auto' for ACC.

Course, I bought mine back in March. I read somewhere that the newer 720's don't unlock very well.

I have a GA-MA790GP-UD4H by the way.
October 13, 2009 10:13:05 PM

I unlocked mine over the weekend with a Gigabyte board, just as Dlux said. Hybrid + ACC (either AUTO or ALL CORES, both work), and I just bought my CPU on Oct 2nd from New Egg.
a b à CPUs
October 14, 2009 12:22:44 AM

Yeah I ordered mine on September 29th and I was able to unlock it fine.
October 14, 2009 6:43:28 AM

keithlm said:

mine was one of the first 720s, way back in March... along with the UD5P mobo... and maybe i'll try again, now that you mention this "Hybrid" thing... Or is it a BIOS thing? do i need to flash it to a new BIOS to get that option, is that why?

where do you exactly find the "Hybrid" option? I know Ctrl+F1 gets you ACC, but where the hell is the hybrid?
October 14, 2009 6:46:29 AM

ahhhhh ***... my bios was outdated... i have to get the F3K bios... but frankly, i never flashed any BIOS before... ah crap.
a c 122 à CPUs
October 14, 2009 8:10:48 AM

Chronobodi said:
ahhhhh ***... my bios was outdated... i have to get the F3K bios... but frankly, i never flashed any BIOS before... ah crap.

Its simple. Go to the mobo makers website, find the newest one and download it. Unzip it to a thumb drive, plug it in, load the BIOS and then look for a BIOS update setting.

Most newer mobos come with that option which I love since floppy = crap. But if not, they should have a Windows based flashing tool that you can use at your own risk. I don't trust Windows based flashers. Never know what can go wrong....

Also, remember that even if you get the latest BIOS and flash succesfully don't bank on it being able to unlock. And if it does, its not guranteed stable since you might have gotten one with a actual bad core which you wont want running as it could corrup system files and destroy your OS install.
a b à CPUs
October 14, 2009 9:48:28 AM

Gigabyte has a utility called @bios which makes it possible to update your bios through a program that you can download from their website. Its very easy, i've done it before and has no problems. Either look how to do it in your motherboard manual or look on the gigabyte website.

http://www.gigabyte.us/FileList/NewTech/old_motherboard...
a b à CPUs
October 14, 2009 2:49:34 PM

Yep, same as Asrock, a utility that you download directly from the website and you launch from Windows... very easy =) .... as far as being risky, I have never had a bad flash and hopefully will never have one.... Dual bios is a + also.....

October 20, 2009 10:09:25 PM

alright, cool... i'll try that then
December 16, 2009 5:25:07 PM

another question... when i download the BIOS off gigabyte's website, should it be EXTRACTED to a totally empty USB stick (ie no other crap, clean)

or, can the BIOS recognize the zipped version?

the only thing on the USB stick is the extracted BIOS. OR is it ok to have other crap on it?

i'll be doing this thru Gigabyte's BIOS-based flash, i've heard horror stories of window-based flashing. Better safe than sorry.
December 16, 2009 5:33:12 PM

but even so, triple core is fine, nothing wrong with it. plus it has the 6mb L3 cache to it, which the Athlon series does not.
December 16, 2009 6:05:36 PM

so it's like a 1/4 chance to get a stable core. not a good odd.
And, the newer 720s tends to be worse unlockers compared to the 720s sold in March or April.
At least i got the March ones.
a b à CPUs
December 16, 2009 6:49:18 PM

Chronobodi said:
so it's like a 1/4 chance to get a stable core. not a good odd.
And, the newer 720s tends to be worse unlockers compared to the 720s sold in March or April.
At least i got the March ones.

well AMD getting better a refining the good cores. This just means that if you have a newer cpu, as BDDazza said, you have 25% chance of unlocking a stable core.
a b à CPUs
December 16, 2009 7:58:10 PM

Quote:
I'm not taking a dig at you, I wasnt referring to you specifically, I was talking generally.

Triple core is fine, but so many people on this forum (not you) put all their hopes on unlocking these cores and do not consider the fact that its a 50/50 gamble to unlock the core, and another 50/50 game on whether the unlocked core is stable.

I agree and disagree at the same time oddly enough. There are and will continue to be plenty of people that will buy the x2 or x3 and just assume that they will end up with a quad core by unlocking cores. And to put it quite simply, they are idiots. Or misled by some other idiot.

But there are plenty others and I would still say the majority of people that are attempting to unlock the cores are happy with cpu without any unlocking. Its just a extra bonus if they can get them unlocked and stable. I built a system with a x3 710 for a friend. I am perfectly happy with how it performs and so is he for the price he paid for it. But one of these days I am going to try and unlock the 4th core. I have not done it yet because the board needs a BIOS update and if it does unlock I do not have the time to check it for stabilty. If it doesnt unlock then we could care less. If it does, no big deal either, but its nice to get a performance boost for free.

December 29, 2009 12:59:02 AM

using bios f3b in Gigabyte MA790FXT-UD5P and setting ACC to auto an disable cool&quiet and voila
http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1421718
you have duel hardware bios on that board if 1 becomes corrurt the 2nd bios will reflash the first to working order good for virus protection
USE QFLASH ITS BUILT INTO THE BIOS NO MORE FLOPPY'S PUT THE F3B BIOS FILES ON USB MEMORY STICK HERS THE DIRECTIONS IF YOUR NOT FAMILAR SIMPLE THOU REALLY
http://www.gigabyte.us/FileList/NewTech/old_motherboard...
MIGHT WANT TO INCREASE THE CPU VOLTAGE 1/2 OR 3/4 VOLT WON'T HARM ANYTHING
THERS AN OPTION TO BACKUP YOUR ORIGINAL BIOS TO USB I ALWAYS DO DOSN'T HURT
December 29, 2009 3:35:08 AM

unlocked my 720 be using F7 bios... running good on stock volt and speed as of now... it can boot into windows, and it passed a 30 minute Prime 95 blend test...

well, it was simply a newer bios that made this unlock successful.

i simply cannot let prime95 run for 12 hours... it's too hot for me...
December 29, 2009 3:48:02 AM

oh, can i oc it to 3.2? it should be able to do so on stock voltage?
!