Please explain why this doesn't work

squareenixx

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2011
I have asked this before but everyone said it doesn't work.

Basically I want to integrate a freezer into my liquid cooling system by either cooling the radiators or even putting the reservoir inside the freezer.

Now I have seen companies actually use fridge compressors in their cooling systems like this one.
http://gizmodo.com/5053065/thermaltakes-xpressar-pc-case-uses-actual-fridge-compressor-for-cooling

Also I don't get it because my cpu uses 125 watts at peak and the freezer I found uses 300 watts I though this would be a good cooling solution but I seem to be the only one on here that thinks so.

Also I don't get why phase cooling systems exist if this method doesn't work.

squareenixx

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2011

Let me guess you guys are having a laugh. Clearly they use the exact same old technology in phase coolers.

Clearly they literally use fridge compressors in cooling.

There are many threads on the net with people doing this and getting sub zero temps.

Let me guess liquid nitrogen doesn't cool very well either.????

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
You have said several times you are talking only placing portions of a loop inside a freezer. No.

You can use a fridge, freezer or AC compressor to do phase cooling...but this ISN'T what you initially described. It works very well, depending on how you want to do it.

You really need to calm down and clearly state the EXACT plan you are suggesting. You've stated 2-3 different scenarios using a fridge/freezer, but very different setups...which would result in very different outcomes.

squareenixx

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2011

A fridge or freezer is a phase cooler. I like to use state of matter instead of phase but thats all its doing.

Anyway here is my final plan although I think you are going to say its impossible.

1. Pull the inside back off freezer
2. Place sheet aluminum across the cold freezer coils
3. Now place denser aluminum at water block sites (6 water blocks)
4. Place water blocks onto the denser aluminim
5. Place reservoir in freezer as well (mod the reservoir to have copper or aluminum sides) Place against cold back sheet.

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
I'm telling you, you'll need to do this differently to accomplish what you think you are wanting.

BTW... reservoir isn't the most effective place for liquid heat dispersion to occur as they almost always are made of plastic, acetyl or acrylic. You need something designed as a heat exchanger to make any benefit of removing heat in watts.

Start here:

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?80-Vapor-Phase-Change-Cooling

and

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?155-Chilled-Liquid-Cooling

also:

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?104454-Phase-Change-Building-Guide

and:

http://www.overclock.net/phase-change/

This is likely what you are trying to accomplish. If so, please document and log your progress...we could use this here at Tom's.

squareenixx

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2011

You see plain water cooling is basically air cooling but with better heat transferral.

It relies on ambient and where I live in summer it gets 45 C some days so relying on ambient is pointless.

Also I said to mod the reservoir with aluminum or even better use a complete aluminum bottle as the reservoir.

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
You see plain water cooling is basically air cooling but with better heat transferral

When it comes down to it, everything is actually air cooling. The heat produced to run the compressor to ambient is dependent upon the ability to disperse heat off the coils (hot side) to keep the rest of the cold coils...cold. It simply is a matter of how many steps removed the air cooling is with whatever technology lies on top of it.

Where are you from where you see 45C ambient? If that is the case, is it dry or humid? If it's humid...it will compound your interest to insulate components very, very well using phase.

If you are going to run straight phase, why would you be running a water loop anyway? Are you meaning running a water chiller? This would be very similar, but you'd cool the water in the loop using the phase compressor and then build yourself a 'normal' water loop.

Either way, you have a decent amount of work ahead of you and a lot of reading on how to do it. Once you decide which route you are going, then you can start.

So which is it: Direct phase or water chiller?

squareenixx

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2011

All that stuff is super risky.

Also without the coils and going directly to the water block is even more risky when it comes to condensation.

Also explain how do these guys systems work since they have a compressor but no condenser. Shouldn't they be stuck with hot liquid gas.

squareenixx

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2011

Not direct phase because its too risky I would like to use phase to cool the liquid in the liquid cooling system. That way if the phase cooler ever stops while I am away at least my pc still has the liquid cooler going. Because the AMD cpu's don't have the cut off temperature limit thing the Intel CPU's have.

Also about me saying water cooling is basically air cooling. The point I was making is that you can't get below ambient because it doesn't cool at all it just transfers so the ambient temperature is its cooling supply.

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
You can get below ambient with watercooling by using an evaporative tower...or bong cooler. It isn't substantial, but it's possible...and a big pain since it requires an open water loop to be successful.

So what you are wanting to do is a water chiller. I actually have seen some in use before...they work pretty well. Like I mentioned before...regardless of which you choose, you are going to have some work on your hands.

squareenixx

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2011

Yes basically I want to use the phase system to cool the liquid cooling system that is in my pc.

What would work better.

1. Place the evaporator coils in liquid and submerge the liquid cooling radiators in that same liquid.

or

2. Remove the evaporator coils and replace them with a small evaporator block that is attached to a water block in the liquid cooling system.

Ok First off you will find out a fridge/freezer compresser is meant to cool down a fridge once then maintain. If you Try to use one to cool 125 watts (200 watts if overclocked) constantly you will burn out your compressor in a matter of weeks to months. Also if you go sub ambiant which I assume is the idea you better cover that board so condinsation doesnt kill you quick...

Thently

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
I think your #1 is the better option. If you were to run #2, you always run the risk of that loop to fail or otherwise cause an issue with leaking depending on how you have this configured and how you have it running. I think if you are going the route of #2, you are better off running a direct phase change block cooler...the water chiller would give you that 'level of security' you seem to want...if the compressor fails, you still have the water loop as a cooler. Otherwise, if you went with a loop based on #2, you run into some concerns, in my mind.