dmetria

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2007
Hello,

I am planning on purchasing some new fans and want to get fan filters for them. I live in an older, very dusty house with 8 cats and a dog. While I want good dust filtering, I also want something that will not restrict air flow too much, because we only use a swamp cooler & regular fan where the computers are and the temperature during the summer is frequently over 100F.

I have two Antec 900 cases.

Case #1 has three stock 120mm fans & one 200mm exhaust fan, and I am planning on adding one fan to the side panel (Yate Loon 120mm High Speed Fan: D12SH-12).

Case #2 has two stock 120mm fans & one 200mm exhaust fan, and I am adding one fan to the side panel, and replacing a broken fan over top of the HD. (Both will be Yate Loon 120mm High Speed Fan: D12SH-12)

Any ideas on what would be the best filters for each fan? I would like to buy ones that will last awhile, and can be cleaned easily.
I know that the exhaust fans don't get filters.

Should I make any of the other fans besides the 200mm ones exhaust fans?

2. Can anyone recommend a cooling option for the space underneath my CD drive? I think the space is about 80mm high x 120mm long, based on the fact that the two fans below this space are 120mm x 120mm.

Thank you!

Solution
fan filters are actually expensive. well, at least in my searches, they are 6-15$ each, i have 5 fans,, not what im looking for.

i used some of those static dusting cloths( swiffer) cover the fans, i just put one screw in, started to pull tight, put in remaining screws. this was extremely effective at keeping dust out, but i feel it restricted flow too much.

funny the above poster mentioned stockings.. i went to walmart, bought some panty house, and used that to cover the fans. when stretched out, its clear, so you can still see into the case, and see the pretty lights.

they are also very cheap, and easy to work with. They also keep the dust out very very well.

Mrthorp

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2011
fan filters are actually expensive. well, at least in my searches, they are 6-15$ each, i have 5 fans,, not what im looking for.

i used some of those static dusting cloths( swiffer) cover the fans, i just put one screw in, started to pull tight, put in remaining screws. this was extremely effective at keeping dust out, but i feel it restricted flow too much.

funny the above poster mentioned stockings.. i went to walmart, bought some panty house, and used that to cover the fans. when stretched out, its clear, so you can still see into the case, and see the pretty lights.

they are also very cheap, and easy to work with. They also keep the dust out very very well.

Solution