Annoying Add New Hardware window each startup for printer

matoon_09

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2011
Hello,
I have Windows XP. Each time I turn on the 'puter, I have to cancel the window FOUR TIMES that says it's found a new printer, and I should install printer software, etc. How do I get rid of these windows without eliminating the New Hardware Wizard?

Have you tried actually letting it install what it thinks needs installed? It may stop nagging you if you let it complete. Afterwards, go into the device manager and see what it added. if it something you don't think you need, right-click on it and disable it. Don't delete it otherwsie windows will just start nagging you again.

matoon_09

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2011

Thanks, good advice! I had tried several times letting it install, using the CD software that came with the printer, but to no avail. But your advice regarding the Device Manager (1. Control Panel 2. System 3. System Properties 4. Device Manager 5. Imaging Devices 6. select the device and finally, disable) Now a window comes up only once to X out of, instead of four separate ones. Big improvement, I appreciate the help.