Sign in with
Your question

Fairly Simple Question About Windows 7 and 2 hard drives

Last response: in Windows 7
December 16, 2009 12:36:52 AM

I currently have a dual boot of Windows Vista Ultimate on one hard drive and Windows 7 RC1 on the other and was planning on

upgrading to Windows 7 ultimate. I have could either upgrade my Vista hard drive which would be easy or I could upgrade the

release candidate Windows 7 which is a fresh install on a new drive. Which should I put Windows 7 on?
a b $ Windows 7
December 16, 2009 1:14:04 AM

Either upgrade Vista (if you are going from 32 bit to 32 bit version or 64 to 64 bit) or do a clean install of Windows 7.
If going from 32 bit to 64 bit a clean install will be required in any case.
Windows 7 RC1 is not a valid upgrade path and not recommended or supported by Microsoft.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
December 16, 2009 6:27:35 AM

Its almost always best to do a clean install.
I know its more of a pain in the ass, but theres allot of free software that can bundle your programs together to make the re-installation easier. Just google them, or perhaps search download.com for them.
m
l
Related resources
December 16, 2009 4:55:20 PM

I cannot stress enough the value of a clean install. Unless you have a specific reason for going the upgrade route, don't.
m
l
December 22, 2009 1:08:54 PM

@gamecrazychris:

Jonmor68 is absolutely correct. If you still need help with Windows 7, feel free to ask us questions on Twitter @MSSpringboard (the official Windows IT Pro feed).

Hope you got your PC to work perfectly!

Alex
Microsoft Windows Client Team
m
l
!