Win8 Install Question (multiple drives)

kenfmn

Honorable
Dec 27, 2012
Hello -- Quick question on win8 that I can't seem to get a clear answer on.
I'm in the process of upgrading my system and adding a SSD for my OS Boot. Currently I'm running Win7 on my old drive, which will be converted to my storage drive after i get the SSD. Am I able to do a clean install of windows8 on the SSD if I format the discs and start from scratch? Or is there another installation method I should be using to accomplish this?

Thanks in advance!

Solution
Unplug all other disk and install win8. Make sure the ssd is your first boot device an reconnect all other disk now. Win8 will boot from the ssd and you will see all other disk, move the data around, format them or do whatever you want.
Unplug all other disk and install win8. Make sure the ssd is your first boot device an reconnect all other disk now. Win8 will boot from the ssd and you will see all other disk, move the data around, format them or do whatever you want.

Solution

+1. This is the best method to ensure that Windows 8 installs on the disk you want, and doesn't do something stupid like put the recovery environment partition on another disk (I have seen this before and it's caused me a few headaches).