USB Drive assignment

July 13, 2004 9:00:20 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

HI NG

Does anyone know why windows XP assign already used drives letters to my USB
storage Devices?

When I attach a new device it default maps itself to next drive after
Physical and CD-Rom devices. In my case F:\. The problem is that I use this
letter as a network resource.

I don't know if it means anything, but I map this network drive by running a
local VB-Script with a policy.

The only solution/workaround I have found is to reassign a new letter to the
USB device trough Disk Manager. This solutions is however not acceptable
course I have 20 similar workstations and I have other things to do then
reassigning drive letters for users.

Does anyone know how to change default assignment, restrict range or in any
other way solve my problem.

THX

Jesper

More about : usb drive assignment

Anonymous
July 13, 2004 9:00:21 PM

Keep it connected to the SAME USB port. And no crossposting PLEASE!
http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
--
Cari
www.coribright.com

"JesperLed" <jesperled@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> HI NG
>
> Does anyone know why windows XP assign already used drives letters to my
> USB
> storage Devices?

> When I attach a new device it default maps itself to next drive after
> Physical and CD-Rom devices. In my case F:\. The problem is that I use
> this
> letter as a network resource.
>
> I don't know if it means anything, but I map this network drive by running
> local VB-Script with a policy.
>
> The only solution/workaround I have found is to reassign a new letter to
> the
> USB device trough Disk Manager. This solutions is however not acceptable
> course I have 20 similar workstations and I have other things to do then
> reassigning drive letters for users.
>

> Does anyone know how to change default assignment, restrict range or in
> any
> other way solve my problem.

> Jesper
July 14, 2004 3:06:37 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Hi
I get the same thing too - I suspect its because physical drives always
follow on in letter - by default. I think the only way may be to assign your
network drives lower down in the alphabet - to take account of any drives which
may be attached, from time-to-time. My network drives always 're-appear' after I
remove the USB card reader... so its not all that irksome -unless of course you
want to copy files from the USB drive to the network drive on the same letter..

:-(
Related resources
July 14, 2004 9:42:30 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Accessories
1) Computer Management
2) Disk Management
3) Right Click on Device(s) select Properties and assign Drive letter(s)
"JesperLed" <jesperled@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> HI NG
>

> Does anyone know why windows XP assign already used drives letters to my
USB
> storage Devices?
>

> When I attach a new device it default maps itself to next drive after
> Physical and CD-Rom devices. In my case F:\. The problem is that I use
this
> letter as a network resource.
>

> I don't know if it means anything, but I map this network drive by running
> local VB-Script with a policy.
>

> The only solution/workaround I have found is to reassign a new letter to
the
> USB device trough Disk Manager. This solutions is however not acceptable
> course I have 20 similar workstations and I have other things to do then
> reassigning drive letters for users.
>

> Does anyone know how to change default assignment, restrict range or in
any
> other way solve my problem.
>

> THX
>
> Jesper

---
July 15, 2004 4:15:20 PM

There is about 200 people using the machines and all have different usb
devices (Key's, HD etc) so there is no same device connected more then a day
at the time. So I can't use this workaround

THX

news:o PBqyVQaEHA.712@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...

!