Sign in with
Your question

No POST, no beeps. Suggestions?

Last response: in Motherboards
January 7, 2010 3:24:11 AM

Troubleshooting a friend's PC (ECS KA3 MVP mobo/Athlon X2 CPU). Complained of devices failing (integrated ethernet port, SMBus controller, others I don't recall) then a couple days (and a few power cycles) later it wouldn't POST.

I stripped it down to bare bones, installed a known good PSU, and began testing:
CPU, Video and memory. Result: Power on, No POST, No beep.
CPU and memory. Result: Power on, No POST, No beep.
CPU only. Result: Power on, No POST, No beep.
No CPU. Result: Power on, no POST, no beep.

CMOS has been reset. Even tried installing ECS "Top Hat" backup BIOS. Same results.

I even tested the speaker in another PC to make sure it works. It does.

I visually inspected the mobo and didn't see anything grossly wrong with it, but I'm no electronics whiz, so that's as far as I got.

Given that the integrated ethernet and SMBus apparently failed, I'm ready to write it off as a chipset gone bad.

Any other ideas before I pitch this mobo?

More about : post beeps suggestions

January 7, 2010 5:17:07 AM

Check the jumper, sometimes they fall off
m
l
January 7, 2010 5:20:06 AM

bitdman said:
Check the jumper, sometimes they fall off

If you mean the CMOS reset jumper, its fine. If you mean another jumper, which one?
m
l
Related resources
a c 156 V Motherboard
a c 172 à CPUs
January 7, 2010 5:44:00 AM

"I stripped it down to bare bones, installed a known good PSU, and began testing:
CPU, Video and memory. Result: Power on, No POST, No beep."

Good.
"CPU and memory. Result: Power on, No POST, No beep."
Good.
"CPU only. Result: Power on, No POST, No beep."
Good.
"No CPU. Result: Power on, no POST, no beep. "
This is the only thing that was a waste of time. You need a CPU to execute the POST code in the BIOS.

"CPU only. Result: Power on, No POST, No beep."
At this point, with a known good PSU and BIOS speaker (I have seen one fail), your two choices of a bad component are motherboard and CPU. And CPU's seldom fail like that.

I agree. It's time to pitch the motherboard. I'd suggest something better than an ECS motherboard. I happen to prefer Gigabyte motherboards.

All and all, a good job. Let us know what happens.
m
l
January 7, 2010 6:49:15 AM

jsc said:

"No CPU. Result: Power on, no POST, no beep. "
This is the only thing that was a waste of time. You need a CPU to execute the POST code in the BIOS.

A waste of time for someone who had done it before, perhaps. However, I had no frame of reference for a system that wouldn't even beep and I didn't see potential for any harm in it. Also, it took less than a minute to pull off the heatsink/fan and pop out the cpu.
m
l
a c 156 V Motherboard
a c 172 à CPUs
January 7, 2010 1:40:08 PM

Hey, "everyone" knows you need a working CPU to run the POST code. :) 

Honestly, I could have phrased that better. But we get a lot of "Help. My computer won't boot!" And here, we see the well thought out logical plan of someone simply looking for a second opinion.

We were all noobs at one time or another. For some of us, it was far enough back that we sometimes forget.
----------
Building computers since 1977.
Overclocking since 1978 - Z80 (TRS-80) from 1.77 MHz to 2.01 MHz
m
l
January 7, 2010 2:46:55 PM

This might not be your problem, but one time I wasn't getting beeps it turned out that the motherboard was touching the chassis, so it was shorting out. You might want to check that.
m
l
January 8, 2010 1:15:38 AM

smoked15 said:
This might not be your problem, but one time I wasn't getting beeps it turned out that the motherboard was touching the chassis, so it was shorting out. You might want to check that.

I'll have to find sometime when the kitchen table is free to check this out. After that, it's shopping for a new mobo.
m
l
!