Amd mobile k8 not running at full speed in win 7

I have a toshiba laptop with an amd turion x2 64 supposed to run at 1.8 ghz but only running at 800 mhz. i checked all power setting updated bios and looked at all settings there . I assume it is a driver issue for the PowerNow function of the chip but i cant find no fix for this and its really annoying that it has this problem cause i thought it was the new windows causeing the prob but vista had the same issue with this proccessor and thats the OS that came with this laptop. I had tried xp 64 in this and there was no problems with clock speeds but i couldnt find any drivers for this laptop for xp so im back to Win 7 which runs real sluggish considering it running at less then half speed.

G

Unfortunately I have the same problem with an AMD Turion TL-50 (2*1,6GHz).
In Vista I can trick that somehow to work on full speed, I remember. Uninstalled the driver and used the windows-built in. But in Win7 I have no idea.

SpidersWeb

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2009
It drops the speed to save power and reduce heat when you're not using it.
If you ask your computer to do something (e.g. a game, load ms word, run prime95) the frequency will instantly jump to 1.8Ghz.

Please use a program like CPU-Z to read this information and do not rely on the Windows system information screen.

Szasz, I'd recommend you undo that, it's a waste of power and CPU lifespan, with no positives.

From tomshardware review:
The processors all support AMD’s power saving technology PowerNow!, which must be enabled in the system BIOS. With Windows versions before Vista, you may also have to install AMD’s processor driver to enable PowerNow!. The feature automatically reduces the voltage from 1.1 V to 0.8 V, and it adjusts the clock speed to a low 800 MHz to minimize power consumption in idle mode. PowerNow! works very much like Cool’n’Quiet on the desktop; AMD simply decided to introduce a different product name.