DirectTV Tivo to separate DVR

Last response: in Home Theatre
Share
March 12, 2005 10:41:37 AM

I am planning to buy and setup a DVR to replace my VHS video recorder.

1. When recording from DirectTV Tivo to a DVD on a separate DVR, will the
end quality on the DVD be that of the DirectTV TIVO recording, or the
quality of a VHS tape?

2. There are 2 DVD recording formats available. Which is the better one to
use so that the DVD is the most compatible with replay on other DVD players?

Thank you.

--

Jeff Stevens
Email address deliberately false to avoid spam

"Jeff" <jeff@falsepart.com> wrote in message
>I am planning to buy and setup a DVR to replace my VHS video recorder.
>
> 1. When recording from DirectTV Tivo to a DVD on a separate DVR, will the
> end quality on the DVD be that of the DirectTV TIVO recording, or the
> quality of a VHS tape?
>
> 2. There are 2 DVD recording formats available. Which is the better one
> to use so that the DVD is the most compatible with replay on other DVD
> players?
>
> Thank you.
>
> --

I guess the first one, no maybe it's the second one?

Luck;
Ken
Anonymous
March 12, 2005 1:59:12 PM

I'm not sure if you are referring to DVD types, i.e., DVD+R and DVD-R,
or DVD recording speeds.
If the first there is no difference in the quality between the two
types, I have both (two different machines).
Speed will be the deciding factor in quality. Most stand-alone DVD
recorders allow several speed settings. My Pioneer has SP, EP, etc,
and you can also go in and set custom speed for a given recording,
e.g., 145 minutes.
Also note that most stand-alone machines record in VR mode which are
next to impossible to copy with a PC based DVD drive, many can be
changed to record in "video" mode which can be copied easily (but this
will prevent use of "chase"mode).

On Sat, 12 Mar 2005 07:41:37 -0500, "Jeff" <jeff@falsepart.com> wrote:

>I am planning to buy and setup a DVR to replace my VHS video recorder.
>
>1. When recording from DirectTV Tivo to a DVD on a separate DVR, will the
>end quality on the DVD be that of the DirectTV TIVO recording, or the
>quality of a VHS tape?
>
>2. There are 2 DVD recording formats available. Which is the better one to
>use so that the DVD is the most compatible with replay on other DVD players?
>
>Thank you.
March 12, 2005 8:45:07 PM

> 1. When recording from DirectTV Tivo to a DVD on a separate DVR, will the
> end quality on the DVD be that of the DirectTV TIVO recording, or the
> quality of a VHS tape?

It'll be video quality, not direct digital quality. The only way to get
direct digital quality is to hack new software onto the DirecTivo and pull
it over to a PC for burning to DVD (search for 'tytools' to learn more).
March 13, 2005 10:32:17 AM

Thank you all.

--

"wkearney99" <wkearney99@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:o J6dnU5k450j7K7fRVn-2Q@speakeasy.net...
>> 1. When recording from DirectTV Tivo to a DVD on a separate DVR, will the
>> end quality on the DVD be that of the DirectTV TIVO recording, or the
>> quality of a VHS tape?
>
> It'll be video quality, not direct digital quality. The only way to get
> direct digital quality is to hack new software onto the DirecTivo and pull
> it over to a PC for burning to DVD (search for 'tytools' to learn more).

Anonymous
March 14, 2005 3:15:37 AM

In article <%BBYd.52389$NC6.641@newsread1.mlpsca01.us.to.verio.net>,
"Jeff" <jeff@falsepart.com> wrote:

> I am planning to buy and setup a DVR to replace my VHS video recorder.
>
> 1. When recording from DirectTV Tivo to a DVD on a separate DVR, will the
> end quality on the DVD be that of the DirectTV TIVO recording, or the
> quality of a VHS tape?

Closer to a VHS since its an analog output.

To get good recordings one modifies the TiVo for Digital Extraction

http://www.weethet.nl/english/tivo_dtv2_hacksleeper.php...

> 2. There are 2 DVD recording formats available. Which is the better one to
> use so that the DVD is the most compatible with replay on other DVD players?
>
> Thank you.
>
> --
>
> Jeff Stevens
> Email address deliberately
March 14, 2005 10:09:41 AM

Thank you. That is what I needed to know.

Appreciate it.

--

Jack Zwick wrote:
> In article <%BBYd.52389$NC6.641@newsread1.mlpsca01.us.to.verio.net>,
> "Jeff" <jeff@falsepart.com> wrote:
>
>> I am planning to buy and setup a DVR to replace my VHS video
>> recorder.
>>
>> 1. When recording from DirectTV Tivo to a DVD on a separate DVR,
>> will the end quality on the DVD be that of the DirectTV TIVO
>> recording, or the quality of a VHS tape?
>

> Closer to a VHS since its an analog output.
>
> To get good recordings one modifies the TiVo for Digital Extraction
>
> http://www.weethet.nl/english/tivo_dtv2_hacksleeper.php...
>

>> 2. There are 2 DVD recording formats available. Which is the better
>> one to use so that the DVD is the most compatible with replay on
>> other DVD players?
>>
>> Thank you.
>>
>> --
>>
>> Jeff Stevens
>> Email address deliberately
Anonymous
March 14, 2005 5:36:06 PM

In article <CbfZd.52969$NC6.27694@newsread1.mlpsca01.us.to.verio.net>,
"Jeff" <jeff@falsepart.com> wrote:

> Thank you. That is what I needed to know.
>
> Appreciate it.
>
> --
>
> Jeff Stevens
> Email address deliberately false to avoid spam
> jeff@stevens.com
>

> Jack Zwick wrote:
> > In article <%BBYd.52389$NC6.641@newsread1.mlpsca01.us.to.verio.net>,
> > "Jeff" <jeff@falsepart.com> wrote:
> >
> >> I am planning to buy and setup a DVR to replace my VHS video
> >> recorder.
> >>
> >> 1. When recording from DirectTV Tivo to a DVD on a separate DVR,
> >> will the end quality on the DVD be that of the DirectTV TIVO
> >> recording, or the quality of a VHS tape?
> >

> > Closer to a VHS since its an analog output.
> >
> > To get good recordings one modifies the TiVo for Digital Extraction
> >
> > http://www.weethet.nl/english/tivo_dtv2_hacksleeper.php...
> >

> >> 2. There are 2 DVD recording formats available. Which is the better
> >> one to use so that the DVD is the most compatible with replay on
> >> other DVD players?
> >>
> >> Thank you.
> >>
> >> --
> >>
> >> Jeff Stevens
> >> Email address deliberately

If you're going to burn DVDs on a PC, I highly recommend the Plextor.
Their new 16x unit has 8 Meg of cache, and will burn many brands of 8x
DVDs at 16x.

A 5 year old DVD player will likely not be able to play DVD+R discs,
and even 2 year old models have grief with some DVD-+RW discs.
Anonymous
March 14, 2005 5:36:07 PM

> A 5 year old DVD player will likely not be able to play DVD+R discs,
> and even 2 year old models have grief with some DVD-+RW discs.

Also note that many older (+2 yr) laptop DVD drives often have trouble with
DVD+R and +RW media.
March 14, 2005 10:04:38 PM

Thank you all again.

--