Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Wifi to an island

Last response: in Wireless Networking
January 18, 2010 5:50:04 PM

I'm not sure there's a solution to my problem. I go to an island in the summers and I'm looking to hook up my computer. I have a friend on the mainland who has wifi and is willing to give me a password in exchange for fish.

Now all I need is to figure out how to reach his network at half a mile away. It might be slightly less than that, say as close as .25 and at most .5 miles.

I see routers being discussed, I wouldn't need a router, but it'd be a bonus to have that be a method of range extension. Right now it's just my laptop, but having the ability to hook up a 2nd comp wouldn't be a bad thing.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

More about : wifi island

Best solution

February 1, 2010 3:28:14 PM

You'll need Line of sight between the two points. Then external high gain antennas on both ends. One your friend's end you will need to hook the high gain antenna to a router. On your end hook the high gain antenna to a bridge. It'll work ... how well I'm not sure. Currently we are connected via wireless to a neighbor 700 feet away with a high gain antenna on our end only. Going four times that you'll need an antenna on both ends.
May 7, 2011 2:29:10 PM

Best answer selected by greg woulf.
m
l
!