I5-2500k + Gigabyte Z68XP-UD4

Katzie

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2011
Not too sure if I am going about this right but I just built a new build with the following parts;

Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD4
i5-2500k
2x4GB DDR3 Corsair Vengeance RAM
Corsair H70 HSF
P190 Case
EVGA 560 Ti Video Card
Antec 1000W PSU

284083_10150255527958071_500058070_7490447_3100915_n.jpg

I since then took out my X-Fi Fatality card that was in the bottom PCI slot because it wouldn't POST with it.

I had a few hiccups with getting it to POST, via 2 shorts that wouldn't turn it on. I since then fixed them. Now I am having problems with overclocking. I am not sure what I am doing wrong. My last build I overclocked for my first time on my EVGA 680i and e6750 getting it to 3.8GHz before throttling back down to 3.4GHz where it was stable... with no problems. Sandy Bridge is kicking my butt though... I have read many guides and different guides say to turn off different stuff and enable other stuff. I used the guide on Toms and followed that through, matching the different options to my BIOS (using the BIOS, not the one in the OS of course). I can get up to 4.0 before it gives me bluescreens at 1.35v past 4.0. Then, I run Prime95 at 4.0 and its not stable, so I reboot and it starts power cycling. I clear CMOS and just left everything at stock speeds until I find out whats going on with my build heh.

Would my power supply be going bad? I've had it since 2008 but its prolly never been a load over 600w or so since I've used it since I wasn't running SLI.

Also, if you didn't notice, my H70 Radiator is kinda pressing agianst my 8pin power on the board. Its not a lot of pressure but maybe thats why its acting finicky? I don't know where else to put the Rad, since my top fans are 140mm not 120mm :( But the 8pin is connected and not loose.

Any ideas or does anyone have the Z68XP-UD4 and would like to share their BIOS settings? :)

Katzie

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2011
I finally managed to get a stable overclock at 4.5GHz with 1.4v (5.2GHz max to boot and view CPU-Z with 1.5v).

My settings:
Multiplier - 45
BLCK - 1002
VCC - 1.4v
PLL - Level 1
8GB RAM @ 1600 9-9-9-24

All power saving features and turbo disabled.

After around 10-12 hours in Prime95 (max temp was on core #2(third core)67C), completing SuperPi 32m in under 8 minutes, folding on both CPU and GPU since Monday with no problems, running various video card benchs and playing TF2 and HoN for a bit at max settings, and the system being on for 24/7 (I had my previous 680i build on since 2007 24/7 with NO problems, even when overclocked), I go to bed last night and I use a PS/2 keyboard for the BIOS and it sits on the floor, and I don't remember if I hit the sleep or off button on it accidently, and my computer shuts off. I think nothing of it, I just assume I accidently hit the sleep/power button on the keyboard.

So I wake up this morning, turn it on to check my daily deals sites and it power cycles. So I go and reset CMOS via the jumper method, and it POSTs and I go and input my stable overclock settings. It POSTs again, then goes and "resumes" Windows... not sure why its resuming Windows so the Windows splash screen with "resuming Windows" goes away and I get the littling blinking underscore at the top left side of the screen. Usually that means the system hanged (remember old school Win3.1/95/98 troubleshooting? yeah :( ) so I power off, and power on again and try to go into BIOS, but it doesn't POST, instead it starts power cycling again. I rest CMOS again, and it continues to power cycle, no matter if I reset CMOS or not, just the Gigabyte splash screen then it restarts, or it power cycles. I played with the memory for a bit, trying just 1, and then the other, in different slots, no luck. I had to leave for work so thats all I did.

Question is, do you guys have any idea whats going on with my system? Once I figured out the new tech it worked GREAT for a few days... now its doing the stupid power cycling it did when I first built the system.

I am leaning going back to the 680i... people said they had problems with that chipset but its been ROCK SOLID for me since 2007... so maybe I am just used to that... but I am tired of my C2D and DDR2 (encoding) and I am upgrading to a SSD soon.

=\

-Katzie

UPDATE: Got home, played around with the memory, ruled that as a problem out. Ruled shorting out since its out of the case and everything is clean. Ruled out the PSU since it powers up my old system fine (same overclock). Only thing I did not do, which I will do in a sec, is re-seat the CPU. If I do that and it still does not work, I can assume I either have a bad board or bad CPU, with having the bad board is more logical. Correct?

I will use the stock HSF when I re-seat the CPU...

UPDATE 2: Re-seated the cpu and HSF twice, no change in the problem. I even tried to run it without the cooler, did not POST either. I know the board is talking to the CPU since its getting hot to the touch. I think at this point it is either a bad motherboard or bad chip.

dreamwork

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2011
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't 1000W PSU a little overkill for this system? Of course this isn't quite relevant to the problems you're experiencing and I understand after reading that you probably don't want to fork out more cash for another PSU when you've already got one that works (even if you're losing efficiency).

Are you having the same issues without overclocking your CPU? I would attempt to run prime95 now without any CPU overclocking and see if you're still experiencing stability issues.

However, the fact that your system wouldn't post with the X-Fi Fatality card in a PCI slot may be indicative of a motherboard issue rather than a CPU one.

If you look around a little online, you'll see the Board has a few issues, particularly with "Sleep" in S3 mode...... So hopefully your Processor isn't the one that's gone bad, it's the board.
It seems everyone who has them wants to sell them off.
Is this like those Dual BIOS boards or is it just the UD7 B3 that has it? If it is that dual bios one, you could fallback on the earlier bios. If not, you need to Flash it using the Dos method if Gigabyte allows it.

Katzie

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2011
I got the P190 case and it came with the dual Neo-Link PSUs, that died. They shipped me a 1000w replacement. And at the time I bought the case, I also bought 2 8800GTX SLI and overclocked my system with the 680i board. Thats why my PSU is big. I do have a 600W PSU, but I am gonna use that for the old 680i system (only 1 card this time).

I returned both CPU and Mobo and got the same models as new ones. This time they work as expected out of the box. I have not OCed yet, and when I get more free time to properly OC it I will. No problems with anything so far.

I am against Sleep and Hibernation. Its either on 24/7 or its off. I don't like any of that stuff because I find it is buggy for certain drivers/apps.

It is a dual-bios, but this new board is fine so not going to mess with that. Thanks!!