Problem:

Rolfo

Distinguished
May 21, 2011
Problem:
Resolution resets after start up on Windows XP
Detail:
During start up the computer correctly comes up with screen resolution: 1024*768 but just prior to completion the screen goes blank and than comes up with screen resolution 800*600.
After correcting this screen resolution on the display function back to 1024*768 and saving it, the computer stays on this screen resolution.
However, after turning the computer off and then starting it again, the screen resolution problem comes back.
Computer Detail:
Dell Inspirion Desktop 8400 running Windows XP. All the latest patches recommended by Windows are installed.

Go to the dell website and find the "Dell download manager" install that...
restart the computer, go to the Dell website and download the latest video drivers for your model number.
When you install drivers or software, turn the antivirus / firewall off first. after installing, restart the computer and turn the security back on.

Rolfo

Distinguished
May 21, 2011

I followed your advise and updated my video card drivers but this did not solve the problem.
In looking for help on the Internet I received this from "Logmeinrescue"

This issue has occurred due to malicious software or components, which enters your computer while you are browsing on the Internet, transferring data from one computer to another or installing new software. While checking on the system settings, I found lot of polymorphic infections an system registry in your computer which should be fixed immediately in order to protect the computer from further damage.[

They then tried "unsuccessfully" to sell me a mainternance contract to protect my computer agains "polymorhic" infections.

I am still looking for a "real" solution to this problem but neither AMD not Microsoft Experts have come up with some "real" help. They mostly pointed the finger towards each other as the source of the problem.