Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Good upgrade for the Athlon X2 6400?

Last response: in CPUs
Share
October 13, 2009 5:03:40 PM

Hey all, just wondering what a good upgrade would be from my Athlon X2 6400 would be. My MB is a Gigabyte GA-MA78G-DS3HP, which supports AM2+ and AM3 processors. I was thinking about upgrading to the quad core Phenom II's, but don't know if that would be a wise upgrade for gaming. My current processor runs good, but is getting old and I know there are better processors out there. I have a good video card and think the processor seems to be what is bogging down my PC a bit(GTX 260). Main reason I ask is most games don't seem to utilize a quad-core right now and may not for another few years yet(by then I will have something new lol). Thanks for any input!

More about : good upgrade athlon 6400

Best solution

a b à CPUs
October 13, 2009 5:41:24 PM

sounds like you want the phenom ii x3 720

cpu support list
http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Support/Motherboard/CPUSuppo...

i would suggest you oc it to 3.2
Share
October 13, 2009 5:42:36 PM

*Edit* posted right when I did :) .

So between the Phenom II 550 and the X3 720, which would be best performance = value for gaming?
m
0
l
Related resources
a c 203 à CPUs
October 13, 2009 6:13:48 PM

magicbush said:
So between the Phenom II 550 and the X3 720, which would be best performance = value for gaming?
I'm not sure you'd get a good value replacing your X2 6400 with either of those.

THG CPU charts shows the X2 6400 matching the Phenom X4 9950 Black in Crysis

When you compare the Phenom X4 9950 to the Phenom II 550 & X3 720 in Far Cry 2 Phenom II 550 is slower than the X4 9950 75fps vs 78fps and x3 720 only slightly faster 82fps vs 78fps.

Sorry for the apple & orange chart but I couldn't find a benchmark with X2 6400, Phenom II 550 & X3 720 all together.

m
0
l
a b à CPUs
October 13, 2009 6:41:36 PM

Since you already have the mobo, I would suggest you get a 720BE......Later on you can OC and get an extra 500/600Mhz if you need.....

m
0
l
a b à CPUs
October 13, 2009 6:54:15 PM

WR2 said:
I'm not sure you'd get a good value replacing your X2 6400 with either of those.

THG CPU charts shows the X2 6400 matching the Phenom X4 9950 Black in Crysis

When you compare the Phenom X4 9950 to the Phenom II 550 & X3 720 in Far Cry 2 Phenom II 550 is slower than the X4 9950 75fps vs 78fps and x3 720 only slightly faster 82fps vs 78fps.

Sorry for the apple & orange chart but I couldn't find a benchmark with X2 6400, Phenom II 550 & X3 720 all together.


I agree; the only worthwhile upgrade (without replacing your whole system) would be to get a quad core, such as the 955. Personally, if your computer's working fine, I would hold on the upgrade until ready to upgrade the whole system.

In case you want the 955
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
m
0
l
October 13, 2009 7:07:49 PM

Thanks for the replies! I don't plan on upgrading my whole system for a few years yet, so was going to just upgrade the CPU and RAM for now. I think am going with the 720 and will OC it a bit to around 3.2ghz or so. Anyone know a good less than $40 aftermarket cooler?
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
October 13, 2009 7:10:36 PM

magicbush said:
Thanks for the replies! I don't plan on upgrading my whole system for a few years yet, so was going to just upgrade the CPU and RAM for now. I think am going with the 720 and will OC it a bit to around 3.2ghz or so. Anyone know a good less than $40 aftermarket cooler?


ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 7 Pro Rev.2 92mm Fluid Dynamic CPU Cooler - Retail
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...


m
0
l
a b à CPUs
October 13, 2009 7:26:09 PM

You could get it up to 3.2 on stock cooling and stock voltages. An aftermarket cooler will get you up to at least 3.5-3.8ghz
m
0
l
October 13, 2009 7:39:38 PM

Alright, maybe I can get it to 3.4 or so then :) . Thanks for the tips everyone!
m
0
l
a c 83 à CPUs
October 13, 2009 8:45:43 PM

magicbush said:
Alright, maybe I can get it to 3.4 or so then :) . Thanks for the tips everyone!


Unless I'm mistaken the 6400 came with the "beefy" stock heat sink that has copper on it. My Phenom II X4 940 was able to hit 3.4Ghz using that cooler while only reaching around 55C under load. I wouldn't worry about purchasing an aftermarket heat sink unless your doing extreme overclocking or feel its needed after you already have your new processor.
m
0
l
!