Question about lighid cooling components

squareenixx

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2011
What is considered a fast powerful pump in Liters an Hour.

Say 400 or I found a Thermaltake pump that does 500 Liters an Hour. But is that good considering other systems because the pump speed is the most important thing and 500 L/H would be doing 8.3 Liters a minute which sounds alright to me but I don't really know about other system.

Is this crappy compared to serious liquid coolers. I mean do serious liquid coolers use pumps that go like 10,000 Liters an Hour.

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
MCP655 or D5 pushes about 1200 liters per hour, by comparison. MCP35x (based off the Laing DDC 3.x) is about 1050 lph, but with more head pressure...the ability to push a single column of water, straight up. MCP35x is the best watercooling pump you really can find under $150...in that price range and above, you are looking at some Iwaki brand pumps, among some others.

squareenixx

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2011

What is your opinion on me using a high powered pond pump that can move 5000 L/H. Runs on 240V instead of the 12V PC pumps.

orangejuice789

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2011
increases in flowrate corresponds to an exponentially decreasing performance increase... For instance between 4000 and 5000L/H you will likely see no performance increase in the 5000L/H when compared to the 4000.

higher powered pumps generally also produce more heat.

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
You also have to consider that higher volume pumps are meant for applications in which flow restrictions are minimal...and high volume is ultimately wanted.

In a water loop, you want a good balance of flow, but head pressure is more desirable. Consider this; your CPU block is the most restrictive block in your loop unless for some reason you are running a MB block of some sort (RAM/NB/SB/Mosfets, etc). A very high flow pump would likely cause your tubing to blow off your fittings because it cannot push that high of volume of water through restrictive blocks.

There is a very good reason PC watercooling pumps are designed like they are.