Sign in with
Your question

Question about lighid cooling components

Last response: in Overclocking
August 2, 2011 9:13:29 PM

What is considered a fast powerful pump in Liters an Hour.

Say 400 or I found a Thermaltake pump that does 500 Liters an Hour. But is that good considering other systems because the pump speed is the most important thing and 500 L/H would be doing 8.3 Liters a minute which sounds alright to me but I don't really know about other system.

Is this crappy compared to serious liquid coolers. I mean do serious liquid coolers use pumps that go like 10,000 Liters an Hour.
a c 330 K Overclocking
August 2, 2011 10:19:31 PM

MCP655 or D5 pushes about 1200 liters per hour, by comparison. MCP35x (based off the Laing DDC 3.x) is about 1050 lph, but with more head pressure...the ability to push a single column of water, straight up. MCP35x is the best watercooling pump you really can find under $150...in that price range and above, you are looking at some Iwaki brand pumps, among some others.
m
l
August 2, 2011 10:24:18 PM

rubix_1011 said:
MCP655 or D5 pushes about 1200 liters per hour, by comparison. MCP35x (based off the Laing DDC 3.x) is about 1050 lph, but with more head pressure...the ability to push a single column of water, straight up. MCP35x is the best watercooling pump you really can find under $150...in that price range and above, you are looking at some Iwaki brand pumps, among some others.

What is your opinion on me using a high powered pond pump that can move 5000 L/H. Runs on 240V instead of the 12V PC pumps.
m
l
Related resources
a b K Overclocking
August 2, 2011 10:52:29 PM

increases in flowrate corresponds to an exponentially decreasing performance increase... For instance between 4000 and 5000L/H you will likely see no performance increase in the 5000L/H when compared to the 4000.

higher powered pumps generally also produce more heat.
m
l
a c 330 K Overclocking
August 2, 2011 11:31:17 PM

You also have to consider that higher volume pumps are meant for applications in which flow restrictions are minimal...and high volume is ultimately wanted.

In a water loop, you want a good balance of flow, but head pressure is more desirable. Consider this; your CPU block is the most restrictive block in your loop unless for some reason you are running a MB block of some sort (RAM/NB/SB/Mosfets, etc). A very high flow pump would likely cause your tubing to blow off your fittings because it cannot push that high of volume of water through restrictive blocks.

There is a very good reason PC watercooling pumps are designed like they are.
m
l
!