I7 build a few questions

siner55

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2009
Hey all, long time reader, first time poster...

Iv'e done a few builds back in the day, was just hoping to get some comments and feedback on a newer rig since iv'e been out of the loop for so long :)

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: (1-2 Weeks)

BUDGET RANGE: (US $2000-2500)

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: (Gaming,Illustration)

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: (keyboard, mouse, speakers,)

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: (ive only ever ordered from newegg)

PARTS PREFERENCES: by brand or type (intel, nvidia)

OVERCLOCKING: a little, Havent really done much OC'ing before but am eager to mess around

SLI OR CROSSFIRE: Yes SLI

MONITOR RESOLUTION: (1680x1050, 1920x1080,)

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: (none really, just looking for comments, conflicts-(known space issues, two components not liking each other etc.))

Case:
COOLER MASTER HAF 932

MoBo:
ASUS P6T Deluxe V2

CPU:
Intel Core i7 920 Nehalem 2.66GHz

CPU Cooler:
COOLER MASTER V8

Memory:
Corsair Dominator 6GB (3 x 2GB)

PSU:
Enermax Revolutions 850w

GPU:
EVGA GeForce GTX 275 1792MB x2

Storage:
Western Digital Caviar Black 500GB -one for the OS
Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB -two in Raid0 for everything else

Display:
I already have a LG W2252TQ-TF Black 22" that i will use as a secondary

I was thinking of LG W2453V-PF Black 24" as a new primary display.

--that's about it i guess, thanks for the replies!

siner55

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2009
Thanks for the quick replies :) I will for sure take ya'lls advice about the Corsair PSU, thats gonna save me some money for sure.

-one quick question tho, Ive heard alot of horror stories about the Asus MoBo being delivered DOA as well as a host of other probs, although it seems that no brand of x58 is without some similar probs if all the comments on newegg are any indication.

Ive always liked ASUS, should i bite the bullet and go with what ive chosen ore is there a more reliable option? (EVGA, GIGABYTE, etc.) ....also ive read that on some x58 boards its hard to fit twin gtx cards without blocking the sata/ide ports, is this something i should consider when looking at MB's?

Any motherboard series has duds. The P6T is pretty popular. It's just a chance you'll have to take...there's no way to guarantee you get a good board.

The IDE/SATA header placement isn't something I'd worry about on the P6T - most of them are 90 degree connectors, meaning they're on their side, and can't be blocked by a card above them.