Sign in with
Your question

Computer Problem

Last response: in Components
October 13, 2009 6:54:39 PM

i have a gateway gm5066e and everything is on checked the power switch still works and the LED on the Motherboard still on Green and the Power Supply is good cause i plug it up to another computer? so what could be the problem try jump starting it doesnt work or just didnt do it right?

More about : computer problem

October 13, 2009 7:25:21 PM

RAM? Check if CPU is adjust correctly. HDD....Try one by one, first the RAM.
Related resources
October 13, 2009 8:14:19 PM

What exactly is your problem? What are the specific symptons?
PLease provide a link to your Gateway system. Have you made any alterations? Is this the first time you plugged it in? If not - how was it working before and what if anything did you do before the problem started?
October 14, 2009 7:01:25 PM

rockyjohn said:
What exactly is your problem? What are the specific symptons?
PLease provide a link to your Gateway system. Have you made any alterations? Is this the first time you plugged it in? If not - how was it working before and what if anything did you do before the problem started?

its a gateway gm5066e? and the problem is that everything is plug in but it wont start thats it? power still got the switch is goood
October 14, 2009 7:02:50 PM

saint19 said:
RAM? Check if CPU is adjust correctly. HDD....Try one by one, first the RAM.

cnat be the rams cause i took it out put one by one and CPU is correctly and HDD i try it and without it i tired everything is it my mobo? but it seem find cause the LED light is on
October 14, 2009 11:48:17 PM

Let me ask again in a different way -
How long have you had the PC?
Has it ever worked?
If not, did you contact gateway and what did they say?
If so, did you make any modifications? Was if working great until it stopped?
What are the exact symptons? You try to turn it on and nothing happens except the power light is on? Is there a HD light? Is it on? Do you hear fans or other sounds?

It is really hard to ask the right questions when you provide so little information and don't answer the preliminary questions.

You can't provide a link to the system so everyone does not have to look it up themselves or do that for you?
October 15, 2009 3:20:15 AM

okay first of all i had the computer for at least a year and it always been working and i try to contract them but they went out of bussiness so its kinda pointless and i made it into a 4gb my specs is Gateway GM5066e with 2.8ghz D 4gb rams 256mb video card Geforce 6800gt PCI E and everyhting else is stock first of all i was trying to make my video card into 512mb which was my evga 8800gt PCI E i unplug the wires and plug up the PCI power cord then try to turn it on. and it doesnt turn on the mobo has power and the switch is still good. so i switch everything back but hasnt work. im lost and confused on it.
October 15, 2009 3:20:58 AM

rockyjohn said:
Let me ask again in a different way -
How long have you had the PC?
Has it ever worked?
If not, did you contact gateway and what did they say?
If so, did you make any modifications? Was if working great until it stopped?
What are the exact symptons? You try to turn it on and nothing happens except the power light is on? Is there a HD light? Is it on? Do you hear fans or other sounds?

It is really hard to ask the right questions when you provide so little information and don't answer the preliminary questions.

You can't provide a link to the system so everyone does not have to look it up themselves or do that for you?

okay first of all i had the computer for at least a year and it always been working and i try to contract them but they went out of bussiness so its kinda pointless and i made it into a 4gb my specs is Gateway GM5066e with 2.8ghz D 4gb rams 256mb video card Geforce 6800gt PCI E and everyhting else is stock first of all i was trying to make my video card into 512mb which was my evga 8800gt PCI E i unplug the wires and plug up the PCI power cord then try to turn it on. and it doesnt turn on the mobo has power and the switch is still good. so i switch everything back but hasnt work. im lost and confused on it.
October 15, 2009 4:26:32 AM

First - you say Gateway went out of business? Their website is still there at gateway.com - still working fine. Here's the latest press releases, the last dated October 7, 2009. You really need to be a little more resourceful.

http://www.gateway.com/about/news_info/press_release.ph...

And I searched on you system and quickly found this specification list.

http://support.gateway.com/s/PC/R/1008881/1008881sp2.sh...

Which tells me your system has a 300w power supply.

I found various places where the power requirement for that cards was listed at 300 to 350w. So it is likely maxing out your system. Your power supply loses its peak power as it ages and you eventually might have (or now do?) problems.

The minimum system requirement for the 8800GT is 400w. So it most likely will not work with your system.

Are you saying you reinstalled the 6800 GT and it does not work now? Did you roll back to the old drivers? Did you reattach the power cable to the video card?
October 15, 2009 9:42:25 PM

dude you been alot of help but yeah thats all my spec and about the 8800gt i took it out and okay i understand why and my old video card 6800gt was reinstall and it doesnt work now and i cant roll back to the old driver if i cant turn on my computer and there no powercable for the video card.
October 15, 2009 10:32:37 PM

OK - The good news is that you should be able to reboot assuming nothing was damaged while changing out the cards. Windows should still be able to boot with the old graphics cards - just like with a new system using generic drivers - and tell you that new hardware was identified and as you to load drivers.

You said the 6800GT was stock - do you still have the CD with the drivers for it (should have come with the system)?

Now I need specific details to try to help you. There are a lot of questions here - so the easiest way to answer each one specifically is: 1. Click on the replay to button. 2. Answer each question right after the question in the quote section - don't worry about how it will look. 3. To make it easy to see where you replies start - just click on one of the smiley faces before typing the reply to each question.

So you are saying the 6800GT never had any power cables connected to it. It was just installed in the PCIe slot with the monitor connected to it on the outside?
What is the make and model of the 6800GT?

When you installed the 8800GT did you first uninstall the video driver before installing the new card? And then it would not boot at all so you never installed a new driver with it?

You then uninstalled the 8800GT, put the 6800 Gt Back in the slot, connected the monitor and PC power cable, and it would not start?

Please confirm that you made no other changes to the system related to this changeover - or let me know what they were.

When the try to restart the computer, exactly what happens?
Do any lights come on? What lights? You should have some in front and some PCs have diagnostic lights in back.
Do you here any beeps?
Do you hear any noise like hard drive noise?
Do the fans come one - the case fans or power supply fans?
Do you see anything at all on the screen or is it just black?

Please check your system manual to see if it has any diagnostic lights on the mobo. If you don't have the manual, you might be able to view or downoad it from Gateway - assuming you have other access to the internet. If not, let me know and I will try to look it up.
October 16, 2009 12:01:58 AM

rockyjohn said:
OK - The good news is that you should be able to reboot assuming nothing was damaged while changing out the cards. Windows should still be able to boot with the old graphics cards - just like with a new system using generic drivers - and tell you that new hardware was identified and as you to load drivers.

You said the 6800GT was stock - do you still have the CD with the drivers for it (should have come with the system)?i have no disk to it :( 

Now I need specific details to try to help you. There are a lot of questions here - so the easiest way to answer each one specifically is: 1. Click on the replay to button. 2. Answer each question right after the question in the quote section - don't worry about how it will look. 3. To make it easy to see where you replies start - just click on one of the smiley faces before typing the reply to each question.

So you are saying the 6800GT never had any power cables connected to it. It was just installed in the PCIe slot with the monitor connected to it on the outside?
What is the make and model of the 6800GT?yes it doesnt have any power cabal to it and its just the 6 series thats all it say on the video card :( 

When you installed the 8800GT did you first uninstall the video driver before installing the new card? And then it would not boot at all so you never installed a new driver with it?i never got to install 8800gt cause when i try to plug it up. i try to turn it on and it doesnt work. so its not the driver its just that i cant turn it on. :( 

You then uninstalled the 8800GT, put the 6800 Gt Back in the slot, connected the monitor and PC power cable, and it would not start?i never install the 8800gt but the 6800gt is back in the slot with the monitor connected to it with the Power cable.and not the video that doesnt start its the whole computer. :( 

Please confirm that you made no other changes to the system related to this changeover - or let me know what they were.

When the try to restart the computer, exactly what happens?doesnt turn on :( 
Do any lights come on? What lights? You should have some in front and some PCs have diagnostic lights in back.i see the mobo light on with green but doesnt start up:( 
Do you here any beeps?no beeps:( 
Do you hear any noise like hard drive noise?nope :( 
Do the fans come one - the case fans or power supply fans?nope it doesnt turn on period if it turns on i could fix it. never was good with wires but im so positive i wire it right:( 
Do you see anything at all on the screen or is it just black?its just black even tho it doesnt turn on:( 

Please check your system manual to see if it has any diagnostic lights on the mobo. If you don't have the manual, you might be able to view or downoad it from Gateway - assuming you have other access to the internet. If not, let me know and I will try to look it up.

yeah i readed and check the manual before i post this forum u been alot of help man and i try doing what u told me today but it still doesnt work sadly
October 16, 2009 4:07:53 AM

Very strange that you get some power to the mobo but it does nothing but turn the one light on. All I can suggest is checking a lot of things. Probably most you have already checked - but maybe something got missed.

By the way - it would be more helpful if you put the smiley face before your response instad of after to make it easy to see where your response begins.

When you say mobo light - do you mean the a power light on the front of the case or some light actually on the mobo?

Did you try reseating the video card?
Did you recheck all connections on mobo and all components - both those going to the mobo and to the PSU?
Did you move the PC around much while working on it?
Any chance you bumped the heat sink/fan assembly sitting on top of the CPU and even dislodged it a tiny bit?
Does power supply have a selector for 110v and 220v and is 110v selected?
Is there an on/off switch on the back of the case and is it all the way on?
Other than a mouse or keyboard, are there any USB devices connected? If so disconnect them.
Could there be anything shorting out the mobo? A screw or loose piece of wire that dropped in behind it or is now resting on it?

Have you tried starting it without any graphics card in the system? Some mobos will automatically select between onboard video and a card. If this makes no difference go ahead and put card back in.

Carefully open the case with the power connected and try to start it to see if you can observe anything on the mobo - a light or maybe a quiet CPU fan working.

How much memory does the system have? How many sticks? The specs say 512MB is stock - this is the minimum you should have so don't mess with this if it is all you have. But if you have more and it is in more than one stick, then maybe removing some memory may help IF the system has more than the 512MB that is the stock memory. try taking out all memory but one stick to see if that makes any difference at all - check the mobo manual as there may be one slot that needs to be filled if you only have one stick of memory. (By the way - if only 512MB- and we get it working - the first thing you should do to improve performance is add more memory - it is cheap and should have a major impact on performance)

Well I am runnning out of ideas so I hope something here works. It still could be something simple - maybe even just a bad on/off switch - but you might need someone who can trace and measure the power at critical points to isolate the problem.
October 16, 2009 4:36:56 PM

rockyjohn said:
Very strange that you get some power to the mobo but it does nothing but turn the one light on. All I can suggest is checking a lot of things. Probably most you have already checked - but maybe something got missed.

By the way - it would be more helpful if you put the smiley face before your response instad of after to make it easy to see where your response begins.

When you say mobo light - do you mean the a power light on the front of the case or some light actually on the mobo? :)  its on the mobo

Did you try reseating the video card?:)  yes
Did you recheck all connections on mobo and all components - both those going to the mobo and to the PSU?:)  yes
Did you move the PC around much while working on it?:)  yes
Any chance you bumped the heat sink/fan assembly sitting on top of the CPU and even dislodged it a tiny bit?:)  major yes tap it alittle and burn the *** out of me
Does power supply have a selector for 110v and 220v and is 110v selected?:)  yes i tired that
Is there an on/off switch on the back of the case and is it all the way on?:)  no
Other than a mouse or keyboard, are there any USB devices connected? If so disconnect them.:)  yes
Could there be anything shorting out the mobo? A screw or loose piece of wire that dropped in behind it or is now resting on it?:)  i checked and no

Have you tried starting it without any graphics card in the system? Some mobos will automatically select between onboard video and a card. If this makes no difference go ahead and put card back in.:)  yes i tired on mobo before using my PCI E

Carefully open the case with the power connected and try to start it to see if you can observe anything on the mobo - a light or maybe a quiet CPU fan working.:)  none of them

How much memory does the system have? How many sticks? The specs say 512MB is stock - this is the minimum you should have so don't mess with this if it is all you have. But if you have more and it is in more than one stick, then maybe removing some memory may help IF the system has more than the 512MB that is the stock memory. try taking out all memory but one stick to see if that makes any difference at all - check the mobo manual as there may be one slot that needs to be filled if you only have one stick of memory. (By the way - if only 512MB- and we get it working - the first thing you should do to improve performance is add more memory - it is cheap and should have a major impact on performance):)  yes i have 4gb install into it and 4 of them 1gb each and its okay thanks for giving me alot of idies and my cuhzin said its my mobo board a long time ago and i know its my mobo but just wanted to find more answer before believing it but thanks alot getting a new computer today i got another question tho.i have a Dell Dimension E510 when i take out my CPU it works but when the CPU is in the computer it doesnt work well the fan turn on then off and it stay in standby like the light blinks. what could be the problem?

Well I am runnning out of ideas so I hope something here works. It still could be something simple - maybe even just a bad on/off switch - but you might need someone who can trace and measure the power at critical points to isolate the problem.

October 16, 2009 6:41:05 PM

You have 3 computers none of which work? How did that happen?

On the Dell - when you say you take the CPU out and it works, do you mean the whole mobo with the CPU or just trying the CPU in another system?

Please be more specific and describe exactly what does and does not happen when you try the CPU in the system.

You really need to be more specific when you write.
October 17, 2009 3:58:46 AM

rockyjohn said:
You have 3 computers none of which work? How did that happen?

On the Dell - when you say you take the CPU out and it works, do you mean the whole mobo with the CPU or just trying the CPU in another system?

Please be more specific and describe exactly what does and does not happen when you try the CPU in the system.

You really need to be more specific when you write.

okay its not the gateway or the dell 4700 its a dell e510 just got it recently found it and when i take out the cpu out of that system it works but if i put it back in the computer start and the fan spin then turn off and is it idle or stayby mode what could be the problem its not the cpu cause i put it in my dell 4700 and it work perfectly fine
!