Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

What is my bottleneck?

Last response: in Systems
Share
July 14, 2009 6:12:14 AM

I'm trying to figure out what's holding my pc back right now

MOBO : GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P

Video Card: Radeon hd 4850 Overclocked

Ram: DDR2 800

Processor : Amd Phenom 2 720 Overclocked to 3.6 ghz

Hard Drives: Various sizes all 10,000 rpm

I'm guessing my bottleneck is the ram? My pc supports up to 1200 ddr2

would upgrading to that make a difference?



(The next upgrade if needed would be my video card, to an Ati 4890)


(Please no Intel fanboys telling me to sell my system, don't waste our time) :kaola: 

Thanks in advance :sol: 

More about : bottleneck

July 14, 2009 6:14:24 AM

i don't think ram would make much of a difference as long as you got some good timing on it... now another 4850 would sound nice
a b U Graphics card
July 14, 2009 7:59:38 AM

What makes you think you have a bottleneck?

How much ram? 1gb? 4gb?
Related resources
July 14, 2009 8:01:07 AM

OvrClkr said:
What makes you think you have a bottleneck?

How much ram? 1gb? 4gb?


4 gb


I read somewhere that when you overclock your cpu, it's better if you have higher end ram.

I'm also wondering if this is because i havent overclocked my fsb
a b U Graphics card
July 14, 2009 8:09:17 AM

Well yea but I still don't know why you think you have bottleneck... Even if you overclocked your cpu, your ram is at 800Mhz, meaning you should not have a bottleneck due to your ram.
July 14, 2009 8:38:49 AM

OvrClkr said:
Well yea but I still don't know why you think you have bottleneck... Even if you overclocked your cpu, your ram is at 800Mhz, meaning you should not have a bottleneck due to your ram.




for some reason i have been having framte rate issues while running some games on high quality, and seeing my build i don't understand why.

(especially mirrors edge, and need for speed undercover)
a b U Graphics card
July 14, 2009 9:22:06 AM

See the benchies for mirrors edge and undercover with that card.
Compare the performance.

The best thing i can suggest is to buy another 4850 for xfire.
July 14, 2009 2:07:08 PM

What is your PSU? Are you experiencing random frame drops or just weak performance?
a b U Graphics card
July 14, 2009 2:57:26 PM

thiisonecrazy said:
for some reason i have been having framte rate issues while running some games on high quality, and seeing my build i don't understand why.

(especially mirrors edge, and need for speed undercover)


Well that is to be expected, Mirrors Edge and NFSU are very high GPU and CPU demanding games. On my AMD Rig @ 3.5Ghz I lag too if everything is on High as far as the settings go. I have both games and they are just like GTA4, meaning you have to have a HIGH-END system if you want smooth frames with everything on high. Another thing you can do to help your lag is install another 4850 (xfire) just like shubham1401 recommended. That should help by a significant margin....
July 14, 2009 3:58:16 PM

hellraiser06 said:
What is your PSU? Are you experiencing random frame drops or just weak performance?




It's a 550 watt psu, but it's also pretty old.

It's at random times, it's not in general.
!