Cant type letters in the log into windows box

riverwild42

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2011
I cant type any letters into the log into windows box! the keyboard works fine but no letters come up! I cant sign in to my pc! Any help?

thesnappyfingers

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2011
there should be an icon that looks like a clock, or something in the bottom right or left corner, click it. then check the option that states "on screen keyboard" or something along those lines, click apply.

Boom, good to go. at least you should be.

vigilantes advice is a good one.

I hope you can figure out how to work your working keyboard.

riverwild42

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2011

Checked keyboard and it works fine! I cant type in username or password field! I never use the password anyways just the username. Im lost as to what to do!

riverwild42

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2011

Tried that didnt help! I know the keyboard is ok I tested it on this pc! Dont make me throw it out the window guys! HELP! plz! thx!

riverwild42

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2011

Nothing in the corners! Any other ideas? Im lost!

Re-boot system and when you see Windows Welcome screen / Login screen, press ctrl+alt+del keys 2x and it’ll show Classic Login box.

Now type “Administrator” (without quotes) in Username and leave Password field blank.(or put the password you used at install of windows)

Now press Enter and you should be able to log in Windows. Now you can reset your account password from “Control Panel -> User Accounts”.

Same thing can be done using Safe Mode(press F8 on the boot). In Safe Mode Windows will show this in-built Administrator account in Login screen.

riverwild42

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2011

Tried that also! No screen shows up just goes to the login!

riverwild42

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2011

And when I reboot in safe mode I still cant type in the login screen! Your asking me to type "Administrator" in username when I cant type anything in it! Thats the problem!

riverwild42

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2011

No animals and keyboard works on this pc Im typing on. Yes I checked the cord and lights are on! Im at a loss, Only thing I can figure is grand kids got into it yesterday when they were here and did something But damned if I know how to fix it!

riverwild42

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2011

I have a older windows xp disk I will try and see if I can get in and do something ( anything) If not I may just have to reformat it otherwise the upstairs window is looking better and better each min. thx for all your help!

terry45

Honorable
Apr 7, 2012

Thanks you saved my metal frustration
camperterry

Tony Kenny

Honorable
Apr 16, 2013

I was having the EXACT same problem right after a Microsoft update. This tip fixed the problem for me

Start > Run>regsvr32 shgina.dll [enter] – Log off and see if you can now enter your password.

Tony Kenny

Honorable
Apr 16, 2013
I had the EXACT same problem right after a Microsoft update. This tips fixed the problem.

Start > Run>regsvr32 shgina.dll [enter] – Log off and see if you can now enter your password.

Guanhao

Honorable
Apr 15, 2013
i'm wondering... What if someone uninstalled all the drivers of Keyboard in management? but then again, if you log in with virtual keyboard it should have detect new drivers for it....
And then again... BIOS, if you turn keyboard there off, you shouln't see any lights either...
i think you should try what Mr Kenny wrote.

sueg

Honorable
Apr 23, 2013

Bobileebob

Reputable
Aug 6, 2015

It is the settings. I can log in as a guest but can not log into Administrator account.