Memory Issue while booting windows 2008 R2 x64

atomykaleeyan

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2010
HI,

I am facing a really weird issue for which I have no idea what to do at this point. Here's my current PC:

500W Modular PSU
Asus P5W DH Deluxe
Intel Q9550 Quad (approved for MB)
6 GB Ram OCZ pc6400 1.9V (approved for MB) 1*1 and 2*2
3 SATA drives
Windows 2008 R2 x64

I had a Core2 2.4GHZ and upgraded to Q9550. Before the upgrade, I installed BIOS 3001. After the install, I removed the battery from the Mobo to reset settings to default. I noticed the BIOS Post was saying I had 3.2 GB only but when I was loading into the BIOS I was seeing 6GB so I didn't bother too much as I was hard pressed to the system up for development usage. Before the upgrade the MoBO was seeing 6GB fine so I knew I could figure this out later.

So, I installed Windows 2008 R2 x64 with the Chipset setting limiting the Motherboard to 3.2 GB of RAM.

This morning I had a bit of time so I called ASUS support to help me determine how to increase memory to full 6GB. It turns out it's a crazy setting in ChipsSet feature to limit the memory for 32 bits OSes.

Anyway, after enabling the full 6GB, I can get the computer to POST fine, get the PC to load the Windows Boot screen but the OS never shows up. The screen goes black (right after seeing the Windows Progress bar) and seems to never load.

After I go back in the BIOS to set it back to 32 bit mode, everything loads up fine. At this point it seems to be software related but I wanted to check with you guys first.

Is there anyone out there who has some ideas?

Thanks!