Sign in with
Your question
Solved

My hard drives keep switching off...

Last response: in Storage
April 10, 2011 3:40:09 PM

Hello All :hello: 

I have recently run into some issues with my hard drives. I have a Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 ST380815AS as my primary drive, a Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 ST3250820AS and 2x Samsung 1TB Spinpoint F3 drives. The problem lies in my secondary drives, the Samungs and the 250GB Seagate drive.

Whenever they are not in use for a few minutes the just turn off. And so every time I want to access something on the drive I have to wait like 5 seconds for the drive to spin up. Once the drive has spun up it is all okay until it goes out of use for a few minutes. It is very annoying and I hope there is a simple solution someone can give me.

I have noticed that if I leave CPUID HW Monitor running in the background the drives stay on and there is no delay when accessing data. However, HW Monitor's temp readings clash with EVGA Precision and so I cannot run it.

If there is a simple solution to solving this issue please help me out, I am very impatient when it comes to computers :) 

Thanks in advance for any help...

More about : hard drives switching

Best solution

April 10, 2011 3:49:28 PM

Have you check to see if windows power management is turning them off? I have mine set to turn off after 20 mins of no usage. I'd say yours is set on too.
April 10, 2011 3:56:43 PM

Wow, can't believe I missed that. Thanks dude, lets hope it works :) 
m
l
April 10, 2011 6:36:09 PM

Best answer selected by cromedome.
m
l
!