Sign in with
Your question

Upgrading from a 6-year old P4 to play games..HALP!!

Last response: in CPUs
October 14, 2009 12:29:06 AM

Here are my current PC specs

Pentium 4 2.6 Ghz
1 GB RAM
GeForceFX graphics card (64mb)

I am finally upgrading to a new machine mainly because I want to get back into PC gaming. My only concern is that the game I want to play most is Doom 4 and may not come out for another two years and I would like my machine to max it out. I understand and expect that I will have to upgrade my videocard by then...but I hope to buy a starter machine now (i.e. a Dell) with a CPU that is future-proof for optimal Doom 4 requirements.

Things are not what they used to be....I hear CPU is not so important for games anymore. Would an Intel i7 be future-proof enough?

thanks
a b à CPUs
a b U Graphics card
October 14, 2009 12:32:49 AM

What is your budget?
m
l
October 14, 2009 12:38:11 AM

I'm currently monitoring slickdeals and other sites for Dell deals. When I see one I am planning to move fast...I'm not going to get the best video card right now nor am I even planning on getting much RAM as I can buy that cheaper on my own and in the future as needed.

My main concern is the CPU...something like an I7 2.8 Ghz is within my budget. I dont have a $$$ value but I hope to not pay for diminising returns (i.e. $100 for an extra 0.1Ghz clockspeed does not seem worth it). My main concern however is gaming (particularly doom 4) and I was under the impression that games are much more GPU-centric than CPU.
m
l
a b à CPUs
October 14, 2009 12:53:00 AM

The core i7 920 on an X58 board or the i5 750 on a P55 board are both good choices. i7 is high end, but the i5 (mainstream) covers off most peoples needs and is of greater value.

If you go i7, get a triple channel memory kit (3 x 1Gb or 3 x 2Gb), for i5 you want dual channel (2 x 2Gb).

You'll want Windows 7 64bit.

Ati 5850 and 5870 are the latest top cards, but 5770 is just out and cheaper, and the 4800 series is still around and prices lowering.

(PS the new Core i7 920, will be extremely fast of a processor compared to your P4, I went P4 3Ghz to Core2Duo 3.16, speed increase was over 4x in CPU benchmarks)

So yeah just some thoughts, if you find a setup you like post up, sure we can all inform you on whats important/not important for your use.
m
l
!