New modem has dial tone but won't dial

I'm running windows XP and installed a new modem, I get a clear dial tone but the modem won't dial. I have tried Hyperteeminal, and created a new connection, both get the dial tone but that is were it stays. It won't dial a number. Thanks for the help
11 answers Last reply
More about modem dial tone dial
  1. What type of modem? Was the previous modem working or did it have the same issue?
  2. In control panel / phone and modem options / modems / (select modem) properties / modem / look for an option called wait for dial tone - and disable it...
  3. If you installed the modem, and let windows auto install the drivers. Uninstall the modem from Device manager, reboot. When Windows re-installs the modem choose the CD or download the drivers from the modem manufacturers website.
  4. Ah, yes - the good ol' days of dialup :D.

I suggest going to THIS site and listen to the DTMF tones for a while :whistle:

Afterwards, do the suggested uninstall/reinstall from Windows and see if that works...
  5. GhislainG said:
    What type of modem? Was the previous modem working or did it have the same issue?

It was the same type , PCI modem and the old one would not detect a dial tone. I get a clear dial tone on the new one but no dial out. I also have wait for dialtone unchecked. Thanks
  6. jamesgoddard said:
    In control panel / phone and modem options / modems / (select modem) properties / modem / look for an option called wait for dial tone - and disable it...

I had that disabled from the start, also tried using it. Thanks
  7. tobensg said:
    If you installed the modem, and let windows auto install the drivers. Uninstall the modem from Device manager, reboot. When Windows re-installs the modem choose the CD or download the drivers from the modem manufacturers website.

No auto install. I loaded the drivers from the CD.
  8. Just a note I tried this modem in another PC hooked to the same line in the same room and it dials out. I put it back in the problem pc and it won't dial out. This is a fresh install , fresh drivers.
  9. If it's a PCI modem, have you tried a different slot?
  10. Yes I have tried different slots. I did notice that when I changed ports it would dial out one time. I would have to change ports to get to dial again
  11. Is it a quality modem like a USR? It looks like the modem isn't fully compatible with the PC.
Ask a new question

Read More

Connection Modem Windows XP Components