Sign in with
Your question

New modem has dial tone but won't dial

Last response: in Components
October 14, 2009 12:44:04 AM

I'm running windows XP and installed a new modem, I get a clear dial tone but the modem won't dial. I have tried Hyperteeminal, and created a new connection, both get the dial tone but that is were it stays. It won't dial a number. Thanks for the help

More about : modem dial tone dial

October 14, 2009 2:20:34 AM

What type of modem? Was the previous modem working or did it have the same issue?
m
l
October 14, 2009 8:47:58 AM

In control panel / phone and modem options / modems / (select modem) properties / modem / look for an option called wait for dial tone - and disable it...
m
l
Related resources
October 14, 2009 1:15:09 PM

If you installed the modem, and let windows auto install the drivers. Uninstall the modem from Device manager, reboot. When Windows re-installs the modem choose the CD or download the drivers from the modem manufacturers website.
m
l
October 14, 2009 9:37:45 PM

Ah, yes - the good ol' days of dialup :D .

I suggest going to THIS site and listen to the DTMF tones for a while :whistle: 

Afterwards, do the suggested uninstall/reinstall from Windows and see if that works...
m
l
October 14, 2009 11:58:58 PM

GhislainG said:
What type of modem? Was the previous modem working or did it have the same issue?

It was the same type , PCI modem and the old one would not detect a dial tone. I get a clear dial tone on the new one but no dial out. I also have wait for dialtone unchecked. Thanks
m
l
October 15, 2009 12:00:24 AM

jamesgoddard said:
In control panel / phone and modem options / modems / (select modem) properties / modem / look for an option called wait for dial tone - and disable it...

I had that disabled from the start, also tried using it. Thanks
m
l
October 15, 2009 12:01:09 AM

tobensg said:
If you installed the modem, and let windows auto install the drivers. Uninstall the modem from Device manager, reboot. When Windows re-installs the modem choose the CD or download the drivers from the modem manufacturers website.

No auto install. I loaded the drivers from the CD.
m
l
October 15, 2009 12:49:55 AM

Just a note I tried this modem in another PC hooked to the same line in the same room and it dials out. I put it back in the problem pc and it won't dial out. This is a fresh install , fresh drivers.
m
l
October 15, 2009 2:38:31 AM

If it's a PCI modem, have you tried a different slot?
m
l
October 15, 2009 3:43:09 AM

Yes I have tried different slots. I did notice that when I changed ports it would dial out one time. I would have to change ports to get to dial again
m
l
October 15, 2009 3:17:22 PM

Is it a quality modem like a USR? It looks like the modem isn't fully compatible with the PC.
m
l
!