Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Corsair H100 & Fan Control

Last response: in Overclocking
August 3, 2011 11:32:08 PM

Hello boys and girls,

I haven't been here in a while and was hoping to get some assistance with this since I can't find anything regarding the specific unit (Corsair H100) as it's so new and only software answers I'm finding are for GPU's.

Ok.. here we go..

I just installed the Corsair H100 in push / pull with the stock fans Pushing and 2x Scythe 1600rpm Pulling.
At start up for a second or 2 the fans (which are all plugged in to the 4 sockets on the H100 pump housing) all shoot up to 100% speed before BIOS check and then go back down.
I'm getting acceptable temps at Idle (low 40's at 4.0ghz) but when I went to Prime95 for a while the fans just stayed at that speed (I have the housing block set to High profile - check out the H100 reviews on YouTube if you're not sure what that means) and don't increase to anything nearing 100%. I'm fine with the noise if it were to go up and I'm sure it would help my temps not hit 75C at load.

So, my question is, with these fans all being 3-pin (the block is connected via Molex and has a CPU-Fan header to plug in as well) how can I increase them to 75%+ speed at all time when they don't even register in AI Suite (Rampage 3 Formula board) or SpeedFan (which doesn't do a damn thing but read temperatures wrong lol)?
November 23, 2011 6:29:38 PM

bushysmalls said:
Hello boys and girls,

I haven't been here in a while and was hoping to get some assistance with this since I can't find anything regarding the specific unit (Corsair H100) as it's so new and only software answers I'm finding are for GPU's.

Ok.. here we go..

I just installed the Corsair H100 in push / pull with the stock fans Pushing and 2x Scythe 1600rpm Pulling.
At start up for a second or 2 the fans (which are all plugged in to the 4 sockets on the H100 pump housing) all shoot up to 100% speed before BIOS check and then go back down.
I'm getting acceptable temps at Idle (low 40's at 4.0ghz) but when I went to Prime95 for a while the fans just stayed at that speed (I have the housing block set to High profile - check out the H100 reviews on YouTube if you're not sure what that means) and don't increase to anything nearing 100%. I'm fine with the noise if it were to go up and I'm sure it would help my temps not hit 75C at load.

So, my question is, with these fans all being 3-pin (the block is connected via Molex and has a CPU-Fan header to plug in as well) how can I increase them to 75%+ speed at all time when they don't even register in AI Suite (Rampage 3 Formula board) or SpeedFan (which doesn't do a damn thing but read temperatures wrong lol)?

Sorry, I'm new at this forum and I only saw your post recently.
SpeedFan => configure => Advanced => select you cpu cooler => set 'auto PWM' to 'manual RPM' or 'manual PWM' whatever works the best for you. Now you should be able to change it from the home tab of SpeedFan.
This works with my cooler.
Did you set the cooler at performance? Fan speed should be automatically above that range. http://www.corsair.com/blog/understanding-the-hydro-series-h80-and-h100-cooling-performance-profiles/
BTW I'm planning to get a h100. Is the pump noise loud?
Score
a c 324 K Overclocking
November 23, 2011 7:38:20 PM

Connect the fan headers to a 3-4 pin to molex connector and they will run 100% all the time. I'd rather run an actual fan controller than rely on my MB fan headers, remember, the CPU_FAN header is designed to register and spin a fan on a CPU heatsink (usually stock) which is a small fan. Running several 120mm fans creates a lot of draw from a single MB header and can burn it out. Either run it at 100% on a molex/adapter or get a fan controller...those are my suggestions. Most people with watercooling do 1 of 2 things: they get fans and run them on a controller so they can adjust the speeds themselves, or, they get the correct speed and noise level fans they want and just run them 100%.
Score
Related resources
November 24, 2011 5:48:05 PM

rubix_1011 said:
Connect the fan headers to a 3-4 pin to molex connector and they will run 100% all the time. I'd rather run an actual fan controller than rely on my MB fan headers, remember, the CPU_FAN header is designed to register and spin a fan on a CPU heatsink (usually stock) which is a small fan. Running several 120mm fans creates a lot of draw from a single MB header and can burn it out. Either run it at 100% on a molex/adapter or get a fan controller...those are my suggestions. Most people with watercooling do 1 of 2 things: they get fans and run them on a controller so they can adjust the speeds themselves, or, they get the correct speed and noise level fans they want and just run them 100%.

But in the h100 is a fan controller in it. I've read somewhere else today (by accident) that it will control the fans. I read somewhere saying that it first runs at 100% at the startup and then lowers to the necessarily fan speed. You have different profiles on the h100.
Score
a c 324 K Overclocking
November 24, 2011 7:18:21 PM

I realize this, but most people really don't want to keep changing fan profiles all the time. It's a novelty thing at first, then it simply becomes annoying.
Score
a b K Overclocking
November 24, 2011 11:23:15 PM

rubix_1011 said:

You said "Running several 120mm fans creates a lot of draw from a single MB header and can burn it out." How do you run multiple fans from a single mobo header without a splitter? I have been using the mobo headers to power single 120 mm fans and have not experienced any problems. With many CPU fans using 120 mm or 140 mm models I would think that they are designed for the load. It may be that my mobo is designed to carry the load where others are not, but I have not encountered any tales of burning out the mobo headers.

I am not questioning your statement, so much as I am seeking clarification if you are referring to running several fans off a single header. Or, if you have info on using single fans off the mobo headers causes problems with burn outs of the headers, I would appreciate such info as a caution to my set-up.
Score
a c 324 K Overclocking
November 26, 2011 2:56:44 PM

Meaning with a splitter. Essentially, the H100 becomes a 'splitter' and draws power for multiple fans and the pump. You have to consider that upon startup, fans require more voltage to start up and then run. If you have more fans than the header is set to provide (I would assume 12v for a standard MB header) you could easily exceed this with 2-3 fans on a single splitter/header.
Score
a b K Overclocking
November 27, 2011 12:47:20 AM

rubix_1011 said:
Meaning with a splitter. Essentially, the H100 becomes a 'splitter' and draws power for multiple fans and the pump. You have to consider that upon startup, fans require more voltage to start up and then run. If you have more fans than the header is set to provide (I would assume 12v for a standard MB header) you could easily exceed this with 2-3 fans on a single splitter/header.

I see, thank you for the reply.
Score
!