Switching laptop hard drives

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
a b D Laptop
April 26, 2004 6:25:51 PM

I have a new Dell Inspiron laptop and one that is about 2 years old
and want to switch the hard drives in them. I tried to put the old
hard drive in the new computer and it wouldn't boot up. What steps am
I missing? Do I need to change BIOS settings or anything like that?
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
April 27, 2004 2:06:32 AM

The computers are different; the operating system on each has the
drivers, etc. for the laptop on which the OS was installed. In general,
it won't work in a different model (and this is far more true of XP and
2K than it was true of 98). The drives themselves should be recognized
and work (assuming that you swapped the drives correctly), but you can't
expect to just swap them and have either one boot. Sometimes you get
lucky and it works, but by no means is it to be expected, again,
especially with XP and 2000.

Mark D wrote:

> I have a new Dell Inspiron laptop and one that is about 2 years old
> and want to switch the hard drives in them. I tried to put the old
> hard drive in the new computer and it wouldn't boot up. What steps am
> I missing? Do I need to change BIOS settings or anything like that?
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
April 27, 2004 2:24:24 AM

Mark D wrote:
> I have a new Dell Inspiron laptop and one that is about 2 years old
> and want to switch the hard drives in them. I tried to put the old
> hard drive in the new computer and it wouldn't boot up. What steps am
> I missing? Do I need to change BIOS settings or anything like that?
You say, it would not boot up? Can you be a little more specific ? The
HDD must first be physically recognized. Enter the BIOS screen and make
sure your HDD is adequately recognized. Then, let us know what error
messages, if any, you get.

--
John Doue
Anonymous

Actually, with XP it will work! You may need to do a little regedit
and add a few files. Do a Google search, there is an actual M$ website
with instructions.

!