New TiVo 2 and weird problem with sound

Just got my new TiVo 2 a couple of days ago. I bought it online on
tivo.com.

Got it up and running at a friends place since it wouldn't work with my
Vonage VoIP line :-| Now it's working over my network using a DLINK USB
802.11. Nice!

Now the problem: Every now and then, the sound starts getting all
distorted, it sounds like streaming audio over too less bandwidth. It
does that for a while and then reverts back to normal. Rebooting
doesn't help. It is really annoying.

Does anyone have the same problem? Any solution? I am currently waiting
for my device to upgrade to the latest firmware (TiVoToGo) - hope that
helps.

Thanks,
Skeeve
14 answers Last reply
More about tivo weird problem sound

    On Sat, 12 Mar 2005 07:16:49 -0800, skeeve wrote:

    > Every now and then, the sound starts getting all distorted, it sounds
    > like streaming audio over too less bandwidth. It does that for a while
    > and then reverts back to normal. Rebooting doesn't help. It is really
    > annoying.

    Is this with Live TV, recorded programs only, or both?

    When the audio is 'acting up', how long does the problem last?

    If possible, try to check what you're inputting to the TiVo during that
    time, to eliminate the possibility that the TiVo is not at fault. That
    means, if you use a cable box with your TiVo, try plugging it into the TV
    directly during an "episode".

    --
    Lenroc

    Lenroc wrote:
    > On Sat, 12 Mar 2005 07:16:49 -0800, skeeve wrote:
    >

    >>Every now and then, the sound starts getting all distorted, it sounds
    >>like streaming audio over too less bandwidth. It does that for a while
    >>and then reverts back to normal. Rebooting doesn't help. It is really
    >>annoying.
    >

    > Is this with Live TV, recorded programs only, or both?
    >
    > When the audio is 'acting up', how long does the problem last?
    >
    > If possible, try to check what you're inputting to the TiVo during that
    > time, to eliminate the possibility that the TiVo is not at fault. That
    > means, if you use a cable box with your TiVo, try plugging it into the TV
    > directly during an "episode".

    It's with both LiveTV and recorded programs. However, last night, I was
    recording a show while watching it and the sound was fine - today, when
    I played the recorded show, the sound was broken. I am desperatly
    waiting for my device to upgrade to TiVoToGo capability so I can check
    the recording on my PC.

    On Sat, 12 Mar 2005 17:39:02 -0500, Sean wrote:

    > Tivo is one sorry ass product.

    Just in case you didn't know, Torsten and/or Skeeve, Sean is just a troll.
    It's safe to ignore it.

    --
    Lenroc

    On Sat, 12 Mar 2005 12:43:25 -0500, Torsten Brasch wrote:

    > It's with both LiveTV and recorded programs. However, last night, I was
    > recording a show while watching it and the sound was fine - today, when
    > I played the recorded show, the sound was broken.

    You mentioned in your OP that you just bought the unit from TiVo.com. Did
    you buy refurbished or new?

    Either way, really, your best bet is to call Customer Service. That's
    certainly not a problem with the source (if you can watch it live ok and
    have stuttering on playback).

    It could be as simple as a hard drive problem, or it could be something
    more subtle. It's definitely TiVo's responsibility to fix it, depending on
    your definition of "a couple of days ago". (Meaning, if 4 months is "a
    couple of days ago" to you, you may be SOL, as well as loony ;)

    --
    Lenroc

    Lenroc wrote:
    > On Sat, 12 Mar 2005 17:39:02 -0500, Sean wrote:
    >

    >>Tivo is one sorry ass product.
    >

    > Just in case you didn't know, Torsten and/or Skeeve, Sean is just a troll.
    > It's safe to ignore it.

    Tought so ;-) Anyway - if I can't get my sound to work, the product is
    basically useless.

    Lenroc wrote:
    > On Sat, 12 Mar 2005 12:43:25 -0500, Torsten Brasch wrote:
    >

    >>It's with both LiveTV and recorded programs. However, last night, I was
    >>recording a show while watching it and the sound was fine - today, when
    >>I played the recorded show, the sound was broken.
    >

    > You mentioned in your OP that you just bought the unit from TiVo.com. Did
    > you buy refurbished or new?
    >
    > Either way, really, your best bet is to call Customer Service. That's
    > certainly not a problem with the source (if you can watch it live ok and
    > have stuttering on playback).
    >
    > It could be as simple as a hard drive problem, or it could be something
    > more subtle. It's definitely TiVo's responsibility to fix it, depending on
    > your definition of "a couple of days ago". (Meaning, if 4 months is "a
    > couple of days ago" to you, you may be SOL, as well as loony ;)

    I received it 4 days ago :-)

    The sound problem sometimes shows up during playback only, sometimes
    during LiveTV and sometimes both (meaning I hear it live and then
    afterwards, when I play back the recording)

    Just tonight (while monitoring this newsgroup) I watched (or tried to) 4
    recorded shows, 3 of which had partially bad sound. Just imagine how
    friggin annoying it is to watch a show 2/3 and then have bad sound
    getting so bad that you just end up deleting the show and not watching
    it to the end.

    It's a refurbished one by the way - I thought it would be OK since they
    give you full warranty on the refurbished device.

    I called customer service once - not sure if I want to do that again.
    The guy was like "uh...uh...eh.....hmmm...uh....you gotta....eh...go
    to...ehhh....a friends place....um....to set it up.....aehh....".

    I though, just write it on your web site - this device does not work
    well with VoIP lines. If I would have decided to get one after all, I
    would have at least known about it and wouldn't get all frustrated.

    On Sat, 12 Mar 2005 23:11:46 -0500, Torsten Brasch wrote:

    > It's a refurbished one by the way - I thought it would be OK since they
    > give you full warranty on the refurbished device.

    Yes. The warranty tells you that if a problem slips through, they'll fix
    it. I'd request a replacement.

    > I called customer service once - not sure if I want to do that again.
    > The guy was like "uh...uh...eh.....hmmm...uh....you gotta....eh...go
    > to...ehhh....a friends place....um....to set it up.....aehh....".

    Well, the guy doesn't sound very eloquent, I'll give you that ;)

    It seems to me, though, like you got a bad unit. I'd say having it
    replaced is worth another call.

    > I though, just write it on your web site - this device does not work
    > well with VoIP lines. If I would have decided to get one after all, I
    > would have at least known about it and wouldn't get all frustrated.

    Don't they?

    Let's see...

    First reference I found:
    http://www.tivo.com/1.3.asp
    The page title is "What do you need?" One item listed is a "standard phone
    line". That may not be explicit enough, but it seems pretty clear to me.
    Do you consider what Vonage provides a 'standard phone line'?

    Well... looking at it, I suppose TiVo really ought to just say outright
    that Vonage isn't supported, but I can't say that it's really a problem
    that they don't already.

    --
    Lenroc

    On Sat, 12 Mar 2005 20:51:47 -0500, Torsten Brasch
    <nospam@nofrigginspam.frigginspam> wrote:

    >Lenroc wrote:
    >> On Sat, 12 Mar 2005 17:39:02 -0500, Sean wrote:
    >>

    >>>Tivo is one sorry ass product.
    >>

    >> Just in case you didn't know, Torsten and/or Skeeve, Sean is just a troll.
    >> It's safe to ignore it.
    >>
    >Tought so ;-) Anyway - if I can't get my sound to work, the product is
    >basically useless.

    Sounds like you're a troll too.

    Sean

    Lenroc wrote:
    > On Sat, 12 Mar 2005 23:11:46 -0500, Torsten Brasch wrote:
    >

    >>It's a refurbished one by the way - I thought it would be OK since they
    >>give you full warranty on the refurbished device.
    >

    > Yes. The warranty tells you that if a problem slips through, they'll fix
    > it. I'd request a replacement.
    >

    >>I called customer service once - not sure if I want to do that again.
    >>The guy was like "uh...uh...eh.....hmmm...uh....you gotta....eh...go
    >>to...ehhh....a friends place....um....to set it up.....aehh....".
    >

    > Well, the guy doesn't sound very eloquent, I'll give you that ;)
    >
    > It seems to me, though, like you got a bad unit. I'd say having it
    > replaced is worth another call.
    >

    >>I though, just write it on your web site - this device does not work
    >>well with VoIP lines. If I would have decided to get one after all, I
    >>would have at least known about it and wouldn't get all frustrated.
    >

    > Don't they?
    >
    > Let's see...
    >
    > First reference I found:
    > http://www.tivo.com/1.3.asp
    > The page title is "What do you need?" One item listed is a "standard phone
    > line". That may not be explicit enough, but it seems pretty clear to me.
    > Do you consider what Vonage provides a 'standard phone line'?
    >
    > Well... looking at it, I suppose TiVo really ought to just say outright
    > that Vonage isn't supported, but I can't say that it's really a problem
    > that they don't already.

    You might be right - im my excitement about getting a TiVo, I may have
    just thought that a "standard" phone is not a cell/satellit/whatever
    phone but one where you can plug in a "standard" phone and use it ;-)

    "Torsten Brasch" <nospam@nofrigginspam.frigginspam> wrote in message
    > Lenroc wrote:
    >> On Sat, 12 Mar 2005 12:43:25 -0500, Torsten Brasch wrote:
    >>

    >>>It's with both LiveTV and recorded programs. However, last night, I was
    >>>recording a show while watching it and the sound was fine - today, when I
    >>>played the recorded show, the sound was broken.
    >>

    >> You mentioned in your OP that you just bought the unit from TiVo.com. Did
    >> you buy refurbished or new?

    SNIP

    > Just tonight (while monitoring this newsgroup) I watched (or tried to) 4
    > recorded shows, 3 of which had partially bad sound. Just imagine how
    > friggin annoying it is to watch a show 2/3 and then have bad sound getting
    > so bad that you just end up deleting the show and not watching it to the
    > end.

    SNIP

    Try this site http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/

    There was a discussion a while back about garbled audio. I had noticed it
    too in the beginning, although it seems to have gone away as I haven't had
    the problem in a few months. There was a theory that it had to do with the
    audio feed from the cable company. Are you using cable or over the air
    broadcasts? For me it seemed to happen on HD channels every now and then. I
    know with my cable box (a Comcast Motorola device) there are some settings
    for audio regarding the amount of compression. The effect of this is that
    depending on how I set the compression (lite, moderate or heavy) it has an
    impact on the loudness of the audio. You might also double check your audio
    connections. Are you using RCA inputs or just the co-ax feed (assuming
    you're using cable)?

    Hope this gives you some ideas
    Cheers
    TC

    Tony Clark wrote:
    > "Torsten Brasch" <nospam@nofrigginspam.frigginspam> wrote in message

    >>>You mentioned in your OP that you just bought the unit from TiVo.com. Did
    >>>you buy refurbished or new?
    >>>

    > SNIP
    >

    >>Just tonight (while monitoring this newsgroup) I watched (or tried to) 4
    >>recorded shows, 3 of which had partially bad sound. Just imagine how
    >>friggin annoying it is to watch a show 2/3 and then have bad sound getting
    >>so bad that you just end up deleting the show and not watching it to the
    >>end.
    >>

    > SNIP
    >
    > Try this site http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/
    >
    > There was a discussion a while back about garbled audio. I had noticed it
    > too in the beginning, although it seems to have gone away as I haven't had
    > the problem in a few months. There was a theory that it had to do with the
    > audio feed from the cable company. Are you using cable or over the air
    > broadcasts? For me it seemed to happen on HD channels every now and then. I
    > know with my cable box (a Comcast Motorola device) there are some settings
    > for audio regarding the amount of compression. The effect of this is that
    > depending on how I set the compression (lite, moderate or heavy) it has an
    > impact on the loudness of the audio. You might also double check your audio
    > connections. Are you using RCA inputs or just the co-ax feed (assuming
    > you're using cable)?
    >
    > Hope this gives you some ideas
    > Cheers
    > TC

    Thanks for this information - I took a closer look at my cable box's
    settings (Motorola). I have found some settings regarding the sound, one
    of which was a setting to set the volume to "optimal stereo", it kind of
    hardcodes the volume which is fine because I have the whole thing hooked
    up to a receiver. Somewhere else I read that if the volume of the cable
    box is too high or too low, it might influence the sound quality on the
    TiVo. THe sound on my Motorola was also set to some "special" format. I
    can't look it up right now since my TiVo is recording.
    So I set those settings to "normal". Let's see if that helps. I'll keep
    you posted.

    >> Try this site http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/
    >>
    >> There was a discussion a while back about garbled audio. I had noticed
    >> it too in the beginning, although it seems to have gone away as I
    >> haven't had the problem in a few months. There was a theory that it
    >> had to do with the audio feed from the cable company. Are you using
    >> cable or over the air broadcasts? For me it seemed to happen on HD
    >> channels every now and then. I know with my cable box (a Comcast
    >> Motorola device) there are some settings for audio regarding the
    >> amount of compression. The effect of this is that depending on how I
    >> set the compression (lite, moderate or heavy) it has an impact on the
    >> loudness of the audio. You might also double check your audio
    >> connections. Are you using RCA inputs or just the co-ax feed (assuming
    >> you're using cable)?
    >>
    >> Hope this gives you some ideas
    >> Cheers
    >> TC
    >>

    > Thanks for this information - I took a closer look at my cable box's
    > settings (Motorola). I have found some settings regarding the sound, one
    > of which was a setting to set the volume to "optimal stereo", it kind of
    > hardcodes the volume which is fine because I have the whole thing hooked
    > up to a receiver. Somewhere else I read that if the volume of the cable
    > box is too high or too low, it might influence the sound quality on the
    > TiVo. THe sound on my Motorola was also set to some "special" format. I
    > can't look it up right now since my TiVo is recording.
    > So I set those settings to "normal". Let's see if that helps. I'll keep
    > you posted.

    It is still working without the weird sound - I'll monitor it another
    couple of days or so and then post my exact Motorola cable box settings
    here.

    Torsten Brasch wrote:

    >>> Try this site http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/
    >>>
    >>> There was a discussion a while back about garbled audio. I had
    >>> noticed it too in the beginning, although it seems to have gone away
    >>> as I haven't had the problem in a few months. There was a theory that
    >>> it had to do with the audio feed from the cable company. Are you
    >>> using cable or over the air broadcasts? For me it seemed to happen on
    >>> HD channels every now and then. I know with my cable box (a Comcast
    >>> Motorola device) there are some settings for audio regarding the
    >>> amount of compression. The effect of this is that depending on how I
    >>> set the compression (lite, moderate or heavy) it has an impact on the
    >>> loudness of the audio. You might also double check your audio
    >>> connections. Are you using RCA inputs or just the co-ax feed
    >>> (assuming you're using cable)?
    >>>
    >>> Hope this gives you some ideas
    >>> Cheers
    >>> TC
    >>>

    >> Thanks for this information - I took a closer look at my cable box's
    >> settings (Motorola). I have found some settings regarding the sound,
    >> one of which was a setting to set the volume to "optimal stereo", it
    >> kind of hardcodes the volume which is fine because I have the whole
    >> thing hooked up to a receiver. Somewhere else I read that if the
    >> volume of the cable box is too high or too low, it might influence the
    >> sound quality on the TiVo. THe sound on my Motorola was also set to
    >> some "special" format. I can't look it up right now since my TiVo is
    >> recording.
    >> So I set those settings to "normal". Let's see if that helps. I'll
    >> keep you posted.
    >

    > It is still working without the weird sound - I'll monitor it another
    > couple of days or so and then post my exact Motorola cable box settings
    > here.

    Pffft - Talked to soon - the weird noise came back - even worse, last
    night, I received version 7.x of the software - TiVoToGo works now but
    the broken sound got worse :-(

    > Pffft - Talked to soon - the weird noise came back - even worse, last
    > night, I received version 7.x of the software - TiVoToGo works now but
    > the broken sound got worse :-(

    If it persisted through an O/S change, it's a good bet it's a hardware
    problem. Get it replaced under warranty. It's unfortunate, but all
    solid state components have a certain DOA rate. Since yours is
    intermittant it probably made it through quality control. I'm sure you
    won't have any problem getting them to replace it.

    Randy S.

Tivo Home Theatre