A7N8X-E Deluxe and Athlon XP 3200+ (Barton)

masop

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2006
I need help with my old Socket A setup. I've had nothing but problems trying to get my A7N8X-E Deluxe and XP 3200+ (Barton) processor working together. At one point I was able to get it to run stable at 2500+ (333FSB) but now I'm lucky to get 1100 to 1900. I have (2) Crucial 1GB PC3200 CL3 sticks of memory in the system so it runs in dual channel mode. This was a problem with other memory in the past, as I've never been able to make it run at 3200+ before, so I'm fairly positive the memory isn't the cause (from a defective standpoint).

This is a replacement boxed model, exactly the same as my original boxed processor that had the same issue. I've tried everything to make that thing run at 3200+, but in all attempts, it gives me a blank screen requiring a cmos reset, lol. I've considered trashing the motherboard and processor but would rather not. The BIOS is revision 1013. I am not 100% positive which is the culprit or whether this is a hardware failure or compatibility issue. I just want to get the system these are in working so I can sell it and get it out of my life, lol. Please advise. Thanks.

-- MaSoP

NOTE: I've read articles here in the past regarding a similar issue but didn't find an answer. I figured I would refresh the subject.

dvmonkey

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2009
This may or may not help, but there are at least 2 revisions of the awesome A7N8X-E Deluxe. Rev. 1.0 doesn't support anything above 333mhz bus. you need Rev 2.0 or above to support the 400mhz bus, (3200+) When I went from a 2600+ to a 3200+, I had to change the memory as well. So check the Rev. number.

If you have Rev 1.0, the MB is probibly all confused and doesn't know what to do.
If you have Rev 2.0 or better, Might be a bad Memory controller.

As to why its not able to go up to atleast 2500+ (333mhz), that is strange. Check the voltages and temperaturs. Make sure everything is in its proper range.

Also this MB is very picky when it comes to memory voltage. Check the asus website for compatability(I've never had a problem with brand name memory modules)
Let us know if/how you get it worked out. :sweat:

masop

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2006

Thanks for the reply. My board is rev 1.01 unfortunately. I just checked to confirm. It seems to me I may have to buy one of the 333fsb based models if I can find one for cheap, so that I can use the board and the existing memory. I thought I had rev 2.0 but obviously not. Thanks for mentioning that. The voltages are default. The memory is pc3200, not pc2700, but should that make a difference in stability?

-- MaSoP

Loosen the memory timings as much as you can. It will help when running in dual channel. Try it with one stick, then the other to see if one of the sticks may be problematic. If you can use either stick in the system at 400MHz, but not both, then it's the memory controller on the board and you may just have to run the memory in single channel.

masop

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2006

Do you think if slowing down the memory will make a difference? The default cas is 3 but there are other clock cycles, etc to change. I did notice that although both sticks are the same spec wise, they are physically different when you look at them. This would mean they aren't a perfectly matching pair. I wonder if that is the cause. I checked the web site and asus claims all the xp models will work with all pcb versions and bios revisions. I do recall reading about the 1.0 vs 2.0 revision issues in the past. I'm surprised asus doesn't reference this in the cpu support list. This is confusing. I will try one stick at a time in the single channel slots and see if i can get it to set to 3200 and boot up without hanging or the screen going blank. Before that, I will try slowing down the memory from cas 3 to 4 or something like that and see how it responds. I'll post a reply once I do so. Thanks!

-- MaSoP

UPDATE:

I tried installing the 2 dimms, one at a time in single channel mode. I even tried a single 512mb pc3200 super talent memory module. The system still hangs and the screen blank when I try to set the cpu to 3200+ mode. Then I need to pull the cmos battery and put it back in and start over. It is only stable at 1100. I also tried changing the memory speed to slow it down from 3-3-3-8 to 3-4-4-8. As I stated before, the asus web site claims the board supports 400fsb regardless of pcb rev, and the manual states it as well. This really sucks. I have no option but to buy another athlon xp processor that uses 333fsb standard and hope for the best, or give up on it and toss it out. The cheapest I can find on ebay is about $15-$20 shipped for a used oem 2400-2600+ model. I've got no other xp processor to test to be sure, so this will be a gamble.

masop

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2006

This is another update. I set the fsb to 100mhz from 200mhz and it finally posts, boots and runs stable. The problem is the severe underclock from 2.2GHz to 1.1GHz, effectively 50% factory default clock speed. I ordered a replacement barton model processor that runs at 333mhz, not 400mhz, the 2600+ version. I'm hoping that processor runs at full speed with no hassle. If it doesn't then I'm looking at replacing the motherboard, as I already have tried 2 different brand/sizes of memory on my previous attempt which failed.

-- MaSoP

dvmonkey

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2009

After trying a few different memory modules at different speeds, I would venture out to say the motherboards memory controller has gone bad.

One thing that I would check before scrapping the Motherboard, is the memory voltage. You only have three options with this MB, DDR Reference Voltage – 2.6V, 2.7V, 2.8V. There is a slight possability that all the memory modules you tried are out of this range. but i doubt that. Running the memory at slower speeds takes less voltage, which may explain why it will run at 100mhz, and not 200mhz. I doubt this is the issue, but won't hurt to check out.

Lowering the CAS timings will also reduce the voltage needed to run at a faster speed. But i see you already tried that.

With the Barton 2600+ at 333mhz, the Pc3200 memory should work. The memory should not have a problem running at 166 (333).

Best of luck.

masop

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2006

Here is the memory I am using, 2 of them...

http://www.crucial.com/store/partspecs.aspx?IMODULE=CT12864Z40B

Those are supposed to be 2.6v modules according to crucial, so the bios is set to 2.6v by default using the auto settings. I'm going to see if that 2600+ works befe I decide what to do. Thanks for the reply.

-- MaSoP