Sign in with
Your question

Need advice configuring custom built destop

Tags:
  • Chipsets
  • Motherboards
Last response: in Motherboards
January 7, 2010 6:30:33 PM

So I recently built my first desktop. It is really fast and runs great most of the time. However every once in in while, usually after being on for a while or trying to run a more intensive program it will just freeze. There is no error message displayed and I am forced to do a hard shutdown. After doing some research I believe the issue is due to some BIOS settings, such as voltage, timing, frequency, etc... I am new to this environment and need some advice as to what values I should use.

My machine:

XFX MBN790IUL9 LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 790i Ultra SLI ATX Intel Motherboard
OCZ Obsidian 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600
Rosewill Green Series RG700-S12 700W
Intel Core2 Quad Q9400 2.66GHz
Western Digital Caviar Blue WD2500AAJS 250GB 7200 RPM
LG DVD Burner - Bulk Black SATA Model GH24NS50
GIGABYTE GV-N98TOC-1GI Rev 2.0 GeForce 9800 GT

The BIOS has a lot of option so changing any particular value shouldn't be an issue. Any advice would be appreciated

Thanks in advance

More about : advice configuring custom built destop

a b V Motherboard
January 8, 2010 10:43:37 AM

First off, welcome to Earth!
What operating system?
Was this a fresh install?
Is memory voltage set to 1.65v as OCZ requests?
m
l
January 8, 2010 1:23:43 PM

Yes this was a fresh install and the operating system is Windows 7 Home 32bit. After doing some more research I found out the voltage and timing for the memory and it is now set to 1.65v 9-9-9-24. However it still locked up on me after the change. Sorry if I don't give you all the information you need like said I am new to this. I know quite a bit about software and high level hardware side of computers but I don't understand the finer parts of hardware.
m
l
!