New i5-750 computer crashes after nVidia driver install

DesertDawg

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2009
I've just built my first computer. I already had the graphics card from a previous system, nVidia Quadro FX 3400 PCIe 16x. On the new computer, the OS installs default VGA drivers. When I install nVidia drivers (old & new), the screen flashes, then goes black with a blinking cursor at the top left. I am not getting any tech help from manufacturers and am so frustrated. The system is as follows:

CPU: i5 750
MoBo: Gigabyte GA-P55-UD-3R
GPU: nVidia Quadro FX 3400 PCIe 16x
RAM: 4 GB (2 x 2MB) G. Skill Trident DDR3
HDD: WD Black Caviar 750 GB
PSU: Antec TP-750 750W
Case: CM Scout

Can anyone explain why the system crashes to a black screen when I install nVidia drivers?

Thank you in advance.

DesertDawg

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2009
All of the components are new (except for the nVidia Quadro FX 3400)...fresh out of the box. I am running Win XP Pro SP 3.0. I have tried two other Quadro FX cards...and the system still crashes on the driver installation.

I built this computer to do 3D SolidWorks at home, and a little gaming on the side. The Quadro FX 3400 my be a little old (was in the original retail box for the last 3 years), but can still handle SolidWorks very well.

Is there a conflict between nVidia and Gigabyte mobos?

blackhawk1928

Distinguished
Well if its not working then go back to another driver for now, boot into safemode w/ networking, download an older driver, install it and restart. I am not sure why the driver isn't working well but i am sure by now you just want your system working at least.

maleorderbride

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2009
I am having the same problem (black screen during driver install) followed by an infinite hang/inability to adjust the monitors correctly. (in XP)

If I install during safe mode then the driver is installed, but upon reboot into normal mode the monitor again goes black.

If I use Windows 7 or Vista the computer/drivers function normally. So, this really appears to be a software problem, but I was hoping to not have to wait for Nvidia to release a new driver that works. Anyone have any ideas?

These are fresh installs with the latest drivers from nvidia. Old versions of the driver have the same problem.

surda

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2009
ok go to safe mode, and unistall the driver from the add or remove in control panel.

then go to device manager, right click my computer -->manage-->Device manager, once u get there, right click and unistall if there is any more drivers for your old graphics card, then click view and show hidden devices and remove if there is any hidden ones for the graphics card.

after that is done, reboot and get in windows, download the latest drivers for your graphics card and install, it should go smooth, also keep in mind that if you have windows xp 32bit then download the 32bit, if 64bit then download the 64bit this is very important.

hope this helps.

DesertDawg

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2009
Well...I gave up on Win XP Pro SP3. I created a slip streamed installation disk with SP2 and used a nVidia driver (March 2009) that was working on other computers in the office. Suddenly.....everything seems to be working. All I can say is that XP Pro SP3 and current nVidia drivers seemed to be in conflict. I now have a working CAD system that can do a little gaming.

Thank you to everyone who chimed in to help (even jj463rd advice).

Any opinion of when to upgrade to Windows 7? I was thinking of waiting until there is a SP (and you know that there will be one soon).

Hillzzz

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2010
Hi All I have the same problem I have made a new PC from my old CAD machine I am now using an i5 750 processor on Asus P7P55 Motherboard. I get a hang / black screen halfway through the install on a Quadra FX 3400. Intrestingly the problem occurs using the older drivers as well as recent ones. I read this thread and considered the posibility of a service pack 3 conflict so I did a completly fresh XP pro install up to service pack 2 and reinstalled the drivers with the same black screen problem. I then uninstalled the drivers installed service pack three re-installed the drivers and the same black screen problem occured. My experience suggests a deeper problem than just XP service pack 3.

I would really like to get my machine working with this venerable old FX 3400 as it was perfectly good for the CAD programs I run and I would prefer not to have to buy another card right now.

any suggestions as to a solution would be much appreciated. Thanks everyone.

Petefa

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2010

Hi , Win 7, don't go there with Solidworks 2010, there is no driver for the 3400 and will never be.

Lots of problems with Nvidia cards and solidworks 2010. (as told by var and proven by myself).
Get Ati 3700 firepro, (cheap) or 5700 firepro in you need to earn money.

Win 7 64 not stable enough yet wait till sp1.
proof?
I have spent the last 3 weeks trying different rigs, even an i7 930, dell 6400 laptop, oem and full retail win7, everytime currupt Solidwork files except on dell laptop, graphic card has approved solidworks driver, so must be a graphic card problem.
Tried every driver available even beta and Vista 64 ones
Solidworks user since 2003.
Hope this saves you some heartache