Sign in with
Your question

AMD Athlon II X3 440 Unlocked

Last response: in Overclocking
August 4, 2011 5:14:14 AM

Hey there,

basically i have recently bought myself an X3 440 and unlocked it to a Phenom II X4 B40

but what i was wondering was why do all my temperatures show 48+ temperature in all programs i've tried (these are core temps not the CPU category)

the programs i tried were:

EVEREST Ultimate
Speedfan
Core Temp 0.99

they all show my core temperatures at 50+ but i was thinking if it was 50+ wouldn't i be able to feel it on my case heating up?

i never had any heat problems before and my cpu would rarely hit 50 (when i had an X2) on speedfan it shows CPU:32-38 which is normal but it shows the cores as always in the late 40's to early 50s, i just want to know if this is the actual temperature or if it is just a mistake
August 4, 2011 7:04:32 AM

Unless it goes to 60+ don't mind it too much. It's core temp which is allways higher as the whole CPU's temp /I am with an Intel at the moment and it's the same - core temp with some 5+ degrees higher as the CPU temp/. And because there is no perfect thermal conductivity the sink temp is lower as the CPU temp, so you may not notice it as high.
August 4, 2011 12:03:17 PM

well when i locked the core back up my cpu temp reads 19-26 so i think there is a problem somewhere...
Related resources
August 4, 2011 1:01:14 PM

Maybe your locked core is not perfect. There is no guarantee you will be able to sucessfuly unlock it. After all you buy a 3 core CPU, no one promised you that the fourth one will work at all. So again - if it don't crash your system and do not go too hot - don't mind it so much. Or just disable it and run only 3 cores as your processor is meant to be - it's your choice.
a b à CPUs
August 20, 2011 2:15:51 PM

@ Mozelite,
have you noticed the code of your die? The 5+2 alphabetical code on the processor chip that tells us whether it is a propus or a deneb derivative? And what is its stepping, C2 or C3? I ask this because I could only unlock the L3 of my deneb based 440 of C3 stepping.
a b à CPUs
August 23, 2011 5:14:45 PM

Afaik unlocked cpu's get their core temp sensor disabled. In cpuz & in amd od it shows 0°c.
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
August 24, 2011 11:24:04 AM

As what others have said, i would say that the 4th core on your psu is defective, at least to some point. Another question is what operating system you are running, and what is your mobo. A good mobo/OS will not let you open/unlock cores that are defective enough to cause harm to your pc. If your mobo is a little older, say a 700s or 800s, you will need to watch your cpu temps very closely. while 60c is a good stopping point, a little hotter, say maybe even 65c will not kill it if it only runs that hot during peak performance. What type of cooling system do you have?
!