Sign in with
Your question

Bios Post Delay - AsRock X58 Extreme

Last response: in Motherboards
January 7, 2010 6:45:51 PM

For some reason it takes around 15-20 secs to show the bios post from when I hit the power switch on the case/mobo.

Is there some hidden process going on in the mobo that causes this delay? If yes, do you know how to disable it?

I have my system built with an OCZ Vertex Series SSD and this delay seriously hinders my boot time, which is otherwise at 15 secs.
a c 78 V Motherboard
January 7, 2010 11:03:21 PM

Some BIOSes will allow you to disable the Power-On Self Test. POST time varies by BIOS mfr. and your hardware configuration, but POST is testing components (mine starts with the RAM) when you power-on and the video test is maybe 25% through the POST process. Until the video passes the test there is nothing on the screen. I wouldn't recommend disabling the POST at start-up.
m
l
January 8, 2010 3:29:12 AM

But I have seen other mobos which take less than 5 secs before you see the windows 7 "flying windows" logo effect. Do you mean to say that they complete all those tests in such a small amount of time?
m
l
a c 78 V Motherboard
January 8, 2010 12:41:07 PM

Probably not - the user likely disabled the POST in the BIOS. Shoot, it can take 5-15 secs just to load and test the RAID arrays.
m
l
!