Sign in with
Your question
Solved

In bios advanced, hardware, can\'t select cpu fan check. says all items on this

Last response: in Motherboards
January 7, 2010 6:51:58 PM

I keep getting cpu fan failed error on startup. have to press f2 to boot. have a hp pavilion 515n.
January 7, 2010 9:04:20 PM

sorry about the post, my first one as you can tell. the fan is running, but i have to press the f2 key to keep the boot up going. once i get the computer up, the date and time are wrong. the error message at the start is " cpu fan failed, press f2 or computer will shut down".
i have tried to get into bios, hardware and reset the cpu fan check, but can't get to select that. it's a phoenix bios if that means anything?
other then that, i am completely lost. this happened when i upgraded the ram from 513 to 768.
if this makes no sense i won't bother any one else.
thanks,
a c 172 à CPUs
a c 156 V Motherboard
January 8, 2010 7:05:48 AM

Losing you date and time settings is a sign that you need a new CMOS battery.
Related resources
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
January 8, 2010 3:32:02 PM

As far as the message about the fan, I have the same problem when I first boot up after the PC has a chance to cool to room temp, the CPU fan isn't spinning at the minimum required RPM for my motherboard, so I get a warning. After the CPU warms up and the fan is spinning normally, I can re-boot without getting the message. I tried to set a lower threshold for the CPU fan, but my MB BIOS won't let it go below a minimum value.
January 8, 2010 5:35:27 PM

jsc said:

bought a new battery will try to remove motherboard to replace old one.
thanks,
tom
January 8, 2010 5:40:34 PM

clarkjd said:
As far as the message about the fan, I have the same problem when I first boot up after the PC has a chance to cool to room temp, the CPU fan isn't spinning at the minimum required RPM for my motherboard, so I get a warning. After the CPU warms up and the fan is spinning normally, I can re-boot without getting the message. I tried to set a lower threshold for the CPU fan, but my MB BIOS won't let it go below a minimum value.

in bios advanced hardware monitor i can no longer change any settings. last week i could enable or disable the cpu fancheck or the system fan check. now i just get a screen that tells the temp and speed. says items on this screen cannot be changed in user mode.
thanks for your help,
tom
January 9, 2010 1:36:38 PM

jsc said:

put new battery in this morning. system time and date still revert back to zero. still get the f2 error about the cpu fan failing. go into bios and reset to defaults. after reboot i set time and date and everything runs fine until i shut down. then i have to do this all over again.
tom

Best solution

a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
January 9, 2010 8:35:45 PM

Are you sure you put the new battery in the right way?
January 9, 2010 10:34:22 PM

clarkjd said:

i put it back in the way the original battery was in. took out the motherboard so i could get at it and then put every thing back the same way.
tom
January 9, 2010 10:36:14 PM

clarkjd said:

paid a guy 30 bucks the other day to do the same thing. i didn't trust the battery he put in, so i bought a new one at staples.
what a nightmare this is.
tom
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
January 10, 2010 10:22:39 PM

Well, if you put in a new battery, and the bios still will not remember its settings, you may just have a bad motherboard.
January 11, 2010 9:06:11 AM

clarkjd said:
Well, if you put in a new battery, and the bios still will not remember its settings, you may just have a bad motherboard.

my computer is from june 03, so it's probably not worth the investment of a new board, etc. the new hp pavilion p6250t is only $450.
i appreciate your help.
tom
September 16, 2011 9:06:25 PM

there is a jumper setting to blow out old settings you can get them from the hp site
i have just had a multitude of problems from a bad cell mainly the machine first would not come out of sleep then the fan problem it also now seams faster.
!