NVidia EVGA GeForce 9800 Graphics Card Being Bottlenecked By CPU?

Sunny_12

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2009
I recently got a brand new nVidia EVGA GeForce 9800 GT, and it seems as though my frame rates are too low while playing Company of Heroes: Tales of Valor with all settings maxed up. Is my computer bottlenecking my graphics card? If so, what cpu do you recommend? I don't think this is a power supply problem because I upgraded my power supply as well, with a Corsair HX 520W Modular Power Supply.
My system specifications are:
1. Type: x64-based PC
2. Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.00GHz, 3000 Mhz, 1 Core(s), 2 Logical Processor(s)

Solution
Yes, but do n't bother returning it (I assume you're in the US) and do n't get lesser card and E-bay the 9800, you'll loose money either way.
The only way to release the full potential of the 9800 is with a faster CPU and that will probably mean a new motherboard and RAM.
Even if you have an early LGA775 motherboard finding a suitable dual core P4 may prove difficult: Craiglist and E-bay are a good place to start looking, though.

Most likely, yes.

Yes, but do n't bother returning it (I assume you're in the US) and do n't get lesser card and E-bay the 9800, you'll loose money either way.
The only way to release the full potential of the 9800 is with a faster CPU and that will probably mean a new motherboard and RAM.
Even if you have an early LGA775 motherboard finding a suitable dual core P4 may prove difficult: Craiglist and E-bay are a good place to start looking, though.

Solution

hundredislandsboy

Distinguished

It's time to upgrade your CPU. What is your motherboard?

hundredislandsboy

Distinguished

Worth around $14 in the used videocard market.