Computer boots w/ no post

GMill

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2006
Hey guys, just recently I was playing a game and then my computer froze, but the picture changed into nothing I have seen before. There were red like dots all around my screen. So I restarted my computer and it booted up fine but when it got to the welcome screen, it blurred again and had red dots. After a couple restarts it eventually told me I had a missing or corrupt system32/system file. So I inserted my WinXP disc and did a recovery and after the restart it worked fine. Now for the icky part.

When I got home last night, I moved my mouse to resume windows and after the resume, the red dots and blurs are back! Ugh. So now my computer boots up (nothing on the screen, just my computer turns on, fans and all) and after some seconds it comes back from a blank screen with the red dots. I figure this is the welcome screen where I log on, because the timing feels like it.

I have searched for solutions and this is what I have done so far, (after all these I tried booting):
-Cleaned all dust off of the heatsinks and CPU fans, as well as the whole case.
-Reseated my 2 RAM sticks in the other 2 slots, went from blue blue to black black. After this no luck, still a black screen.
-Reseated my GPU to the other PCI Express x16 slot, still no luck.

Could it be my CPU fan? I read another topic similar to mine and switching his fan out fixed it.

Any help or insight is much appreciated, thanks guys!

Leave your case side off and make sure it isn't getting too hot in there. Do you have another graphics card you can swap the one you've got with?

Either it's heat related, or you've got a bad GPU.

At the moment the only solution I can think about is :

First, read and troubleshoot with this link :

http://www.pcreview.co.uk/forums/thread-2095118.php

Once in window's try to do a System Restore and restore the PC to an earlier time. I would suggest you restore it to a date when it was working perfectly fine. It should fix the problem.. This is normally a Registry issue (common). So no worries....

If all else fails, backup all your data and re-format your hard-drive.

GMill

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2006
I fixed the registry problem, I just posted about it in case it had any relevance. When I get home from work Ill swap out the GPU.
From reading other threads, people have said it may be the CPU fan, or even bad placement of the CPU itself, could my issue be CPU related? Or for sure GPU related?

And I do get the PC beep on startup.