Maximus IV Extreme, I7 2600k troubles

Roverno

Distinguished
May 23, 2011
Sorry about this, bit new to manual overclocking.

Got my cpu (2600k) up to 4.9Ghz but i have the cpu voltage set to 1.4850V. I haven't done a full stability test yet because im getting very high temp readouts from RealTemp. I am hitting 98C on prime within a couple of minutes and im guessing this is due to a high voltage. I have also set up ROG connect and that is giving me much lower cpu temp readouts and i wonder which one i should trust? On RC TweakIt i have been messing with the cpu ratio and CPU voltage for a few hours now.

I would also really appreciate some tips on OC from others with this rig.

Thanks

BIOS 1409
Using an alc vantage cooler and arctic cooler 5 silver thermal paste
g skill 1333mhz ram at 1600mhz
the above mobo and cpu
MSI R6950 twin Frozr 3

For a long-term Sandy Bridge overclock:
1. Keep the peak Prime95 core temps below 75ºC
2. Keep the CPU voltage below 1.4v

There are two reasons you're hitting 98ºC -- high voltage, and mediocre cooler. Despite the hype, that's what those entry-level closed-loop coolers are. Only the newer models like the Corsair H100 are better than mediocre.

You need to back your overclock (especially the voltage) down to get temps under control. Your CPU is throttling itself to a lower speed to keep the temps at 98ºC or below when you're running Prime95, and that's not good.

Trust programs like CPUID Hardware Monitor, Real Temp, and Core Temp before manufacturer-supplied ones. The independent programs are reading the digital sensors built into the CPU cores and are more accurate.

I would suggest trying 4.5GHz with 1.3-1.35v CPU voltage. If you get good temps at those settings and are stable in Prime95, then try higher.

Roverno

Distinguished
May 23, 2011
Thanks so much for the help, i was obviously expecting to much of my CPU and it is pretty misleading and confusing when every device gives a different temp. I OC'd a 2500k before to 4.5ghz and to only get this 2600k to 4.6ghz,( which now looks pretty stable, might try higher given your info) seems a bit of a shame. But hey ho.

Thanks again for the assistance.