Sign in with
Your question

Phenom 2 955 + 4870x2 or Core i7 + GTX 275?

Last response: in Systems
July 15, 2009 5:00:37 AM

Hi

I am looking to build my first computer build later this summer, and I have a ~1450 CAD budget (~1250 USD)

I am looking at 2 different configs:

AMD Phenom 2 955
XFX Radeon HD 4870X2 2GB DDR5
OCZ Platinum 4GB DDR3 1600
DFI Lanparty DK 790FXB-M3H5
CORSAIR TX850W
COOLERMASTER HAF 932

or

INTEL Core i7 920
EVGA Geforce GTX 275
OCZ Gold 6GB DDR3 1600
ASUS P6T X58
CORSAIR TX850W
COOLERMASTER HAF 932

I have a hard drive and DVD Drive, i will be getting the Acetek LCLC cpu cooler in the future

I am leaning towards the AMD build cuz it has much better gaming performance due to the 4870X2, and that is what this comp will primarily be for

I thank you all in advance for your replies

Albert
July 15, 2009 5:08:19 AM

yup, the AMD with the hd4870X2 would be better in my book. Either system would prolly rock though. Intel fans will tell you the opposite, but really either system would tear through current games just fine.
July 15, 2009 5:17:04 AM

what are the two systems priced at?

if theyre the same then definitely the amd , because it will perform better in games

[ but an intel fan boy will be along soon to tel you different ]
Related resources
July 15, 2009 5:28:39 AM

Definitely the AMD build since it seems they cost the same, the 4870x2 is better than the GTX275, if you can manage to fit $34 more into your budget you also have the option of crossfiring 2 4890s which would provide significant graphics muscle.
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E1681...
July 15, 2009 5:33:36 AM

I just noticed
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/phenom-versus-i7,23...
but havent read it yet

Have just skimmed the article but it looks like

when resolutions are low the i7 runs higher frame rates but at 1680 x 1050 and 1920 x 1200 the phenom system has an edge . The extra power of the i7 cant compensate for the gfx intensity and the cheaper processor+ more expensive gfx cards win [ most of the time ]

definitely the AMD system for the OP
July 15, 2009 6:10:41 AM

How about we hear what games our OP wants to play, at what resolutions and settings, and then make our comments from there? Honestly you guys are shouting "AMD INTEL" without knowing exactly what the games will demand from the computer.

Edit: Although I am inclined to recommend the AMD build...
July 15, 2009 6:26:47 AM

I'd say the AMD system for gaming.
July 15, 2009 4:23:42 PM

Thank you all for all the feedback

@Outlander_04

both systems are about equal in price. actually the AMD system is about $30 cheaper :) 

@hunter315

yeah i could afford 2 4890s but i decided to go with the 4870x2 as i can save some money on the motherboard and still crossfirex 2 4870x2s with both at x16

@mlcloud

Yeah sorry about that. Im getting either a 22" monitor @ 1650*1080 or a 23.6" monitor @ 1920*1080. I want to be able to play crysis, far cry 2, hawx(GREAT game), UT3, ET: Quake Wars, COD:WAW, COD 4, among others

I will be using it mainly for gaming, but also for things like photoshop and video editing

The main difference between the 2 builds PRICES is the motherboard, as X58 mobos with tri-sli are very expensive. I really think il go with the AMD build, unless there is something game-changing that i am missing
July 15, 2009 5:24:00 PM

yeah i know. there are also some games that prefer amd over nvidia. either way the 4870x2 as far as i know is better in pretty much every game than the 275, and by quite a bit. Yeah im thinking i will get teh 4870x2 and later get 2 4890s and use all 3 cards in crossfirex for great performance. it wont be like 4 4890s but pretty close
July 15, 2009 5:30:28 PM

o and what do u guys think about the mobo? are DFI boards any good with these chips or should i pay more for say ASUS?

and is the LCLC cooler a good idea for the phenom 2? i know its great for core 2 quads and i7s
July 15, 2009 6:51:39 PM

AMD is good price range, and the Haf 932 matches the red for AMD
No dust filters on that case, and its not black on the inside ( personal preference )

yeah your amd build is the better one in the long term

I however am going to save up for Intel Gulftown Extreme
July 15, 2009 6:53:14 PM

LCLC cooler great for i7? I don't know where you heard that from but low cost water cooling is an oxymoron. They don't belong next to each other, and a good air-cooler would probably be quieter and more efficient than the LCLC, which only has its faux pas title "liquid cooling" advertising itself instead of actual performance.

As for DFI boards, Tom seems to like them. Check out the stuff they used for SBM.

How about you show us which boards you're looking at, specific models and whatnot?

Quote:
there are also some games that prefer amd over nvidia.

I'm sure you meant ATI.

Quote:
Yeah im thinking i will get teh 4870x2 and later get 2 4890s and use all 3 cards in crossfirex for great performance.

Eh, false. I'll tell you now that you will never purchase those 2x 4890s. Why?
1) The difference between 4870x2 and 2x 4890 + 2x 4870 isn't going to be that big.
2) Why would you purchase 2 more 4890s and run them underclocked to match the 4870s when you could just get two more 4870s?
3) DX11 cards will be out by the time you need the extra performance boost from quad xf. And more cards that will make the 4870s and 4890s look like stuff for a kid's sandbox will be out by then too.
July 15, 2009 6:56:36 PM

the 58 line comes out in September, so why spend $400 on a graphics card when you can get the same performance with less money, lower heat levels and less energy used if you just wait a couple of months?

if it's for your b'day or a celebration then just get a 4850 and ask for $200.
July 15, 2009 7:15:32 PM

Thank you for condensing what I was trying to describe so concisely and real-world relevantly, helloworld_98 xD.
July 15, 2009 7:17:52 PM

The Amd system is better for gaming and Im happy that everyone here sees that.

The 4870x2 is enough dont add any more cards the performance doesn't increase a lot (2 cards is good ... more not really)

If you really need more performance then buy two 4890 and a motherboard to support them.
July 15, 2009 7:23:04 PM

I'll give a try for the i7 side.

1) Cost differential:
Assume that both rigs get the same vga card/s. In this case, the 4870X2.
i7 cpu costs + $24
6gb of ram costs +$11
mobo costs +$2 if you get the gigabyte ex58-ud3r:
http://www.directcanada.com/products/?sku=11830BD1602&v...
total $37 difference.
2) What do you get:
read this recent tom's article comparing the two:
The phenom scored well, but was slightly behind the i7-920.
But, this was with a stronger vga card in the phenom rig.
the OC tests had the phenom much closer to it's max than the i7.
Read the lengthy comments. Definitely some controversy there, but the author's conclusion favors the i7 for other work.

You get 6gb of ram vs. 4gb
Here is why that might be good for gaming:
http://www.corsair.com/_appnotes/AN811_Gaming_Performan...

You get hyperthreading.

If you use photoshop CS4, you have a program that is built to take advantage of multiple cores, and large amounts of ram.

Nobody is saying that the phenom is a bad or lesser value. It just does not perform quite as well as the i7. For $37 savings, is the difference worth it?

July 15, 2009 7:44:15 PM

I use both the 955 and the i7 920, IMO if you have the cash to burn go with the i7 and 275, if money is tight go with the 955 and 4870x2. it is simple as that since you wont see a night and day difference comparing both setups, it all comes down to the cash you are willing to spend.....
July 15, 2009 7:46:30 PM

If there was a big difference (moneywise) comparing both setups then yes the 955 build would be a no-brainer... Just my opinion.....
July 15, 2009 7:48:09 PM

Quote:
LCLC cooler great for i7? I don't know where you heard that from but low cost water cooling is an oxymoron. They don't belong next to each other, and a good air-cooler would probably be quieter and more efficient than the LCLC, which only has its faux pas title "liquid cooling" advertising itself instead of actual performance.

all the reviews i read say the lclc is a great cooler. not as good as actual liquid cooling solutions but on par with most of the best air coolers. il take that into account tho thanks

Quote:
How about you show us which boards you're looking at, specific models and whatnot?

I posted it in my original post, im looking at the DFI DK 790FXD-M3H5

Quote:
I'm sure you meant ATI.

yeah i did. its all the same tho

Quote:
Eh, false. I'll tell you now that you will never purchase those 2x 4890s. Why?
1) The difference between 4870x2 and 2x 4890 + 2x 4870 isn't going to be that big.
2) Why would you purchase 2 more 4890s and run them underclocked to match the 4870s when you could just get two more 4870s?
3) DX11 cards will be out by the time you need the extra performance boost from quad xf. And more cards that will make the 4870s and 4890s look like stuff for a kid's sandbox will be out by then too.

good points. i totally forgot about dx11
i might get a second 4870x2 in the future , depending on how different the dx11 cards are, and other things

Thanks a lot for you reply it was very informative
July 15, 2009 7:55:41 PM

i7s also have hyper-threading

which I'm not sure if the Phenom 2 has
July 15, 2009 7:57:11 PM

alberthynek said:

i will be getting the Acetek LCLC cpu cooler in the future
/snip

Avoid the cheesy liquid cooling systems. Youll actually get better temps and less noise using a decent quality aftermarket cooler. If you want to go with water cooling thats a whole new adventure that you should be asking specific questions about.

At the resolutions your playing at, honestly it doesnt matter which system you build. The AMD/ATI rig will do better at 1920X1200 resolutions, but at 1680x1050 the Intel/Nvidia system will be just fine.
July 15, 2009 7:59:42 PM

Kaldor said:
Avoid the cheesy liquid cooling systems. Youll actually get better temps and less noise using a decent quality aftermarket cooler. If you want to go with water cooling thats a whole new adventure that you should be asking specific questions about.

At the resolutions your playing at, honestly it doesnt matter which system you build. The AMD/ATI rig will do better at 1920X1200 resolutions, but at 1680x1050 the Intel/Nvidia system will be just fine.

thermalright ultra 120 extreme is a good aftermarket cooler
just a bit heavy
July 15, 2009 8:01:22 PM

Kaldor said:

You sound like an ATI fan.... either system is good for 1920x1200

ati just wins for 2560x1600 because of the higher bandwidth
July 15, 2009 8:09:39 PM

geofelt said:

1) Cost differential:
i7 cpu costs + $24
6gb of ram costs +$11
total $37 difference.
2) What do you get:
Read the lengthy comments. Definitely some controversy there, but the author's conclusion favors the i7 for other work.

You get hyperthreading.

If you use photoshop CS4, you have a program that is built to take advantage of multiple cores, and large amounts of ram.

Nobody is saying that the phenom is a bad or lesser value. It just does not perform quite as well as the i7. For $37 savings, is the difference worth it?

unfortunately, its more like a $100 difference from where i am(im counting shipping and taxes), and im on a really tight budget. i can barely afford to spend the $1450 for the amd system, as im only 14 and jobs are hard to find, especially during summer

as for ram, i will get another 4gb later this year probably

yeah i use ps cs4 right now with a core 2 duo and 4gb ddr2 and it works fine for me, so its not an issue (luckily)

im not saying the i7 isnt better than the phenom 2, it is, but i dont really need even the phenom 2's performance so im happy either way

July 15, 2009 8:12:07 PM

geofelt said:

1) Cost differential:
i7 cpu costs + $24
6gb of ram costs +$11
total $37 difference.
2) What do you get:

You get hyperthreading.

Finally someone who has made this clear

Quote:

Homemade Racing car fast as a ferrari, or an actual ferrari
July 15, 2009 8:16:35 PM

Helloworld_98 said:
the 58 line comes out in September, so why spend $400 on a graphics card when you can get the same performance with less money, lower heat levels and less energy used if you just wait a couple of months?

if it's for your b'day or a celebration then just get a 4850 and ask for $200.

i know about dx11, but there is not actual proof that it will come out in september, only maybe in 2009. and when they do come out im sure they will be more expensive than the current gen and i really dont have any room in my budget :( 
July 15, 2009 8:17:45 PM

Well, if this is going to be a gaming PC and not much else, the AMD build is much better. If you plan on using more CPU intensive programs, the i7 build may be better. That's not to say the Phenom II is a slouch, it isn't. Just consider what you will be doing with the machine, and the price difference between the i7 machine and the Phenom machine. The i7 may be less of a bottle neck for your PC when you get newer graphics cards in the future. If you plan on upgrading everything at once, however, just realize what programs you will running and decide whether you need more CPU power or GPU power. Then go towards the AMD system if GPU power is what you need or the Intel system if CPU power is what you need.
July 15, 2009 8:17:48 PM

Except geofelt didnt address the price difference of the parts given. Its over a hundred dollars difference between the two systems. I dont know where geofelt got the prices for the parts but they were either the wrong prices or the wrong parts.

For upgrade potential the AMD system wins as the 1366 socket is going to be phased out before the AM3 socket, and hopefully AMD will do an AM3+ socket before moving on again, but the 920 is supposed to be phased out by intel and moved into the 1156 so while they are equal in immediate value, the upgrades he can get out of the AMD 2 or 3 years down the line are alot better than the I7
July 15, 2009 8:20:52 PM

TerminatorXT said:
thermalright ultra 120 extreme is a good aftermarket cooler
just a bit heavy

Yeah, but unless your going to do heavy overclocking and be willing to lap it, their are good cheap solutions. Xig 1283 with retention bracket for like $40 is still hard to beat.

TerminatorXT said:
You sound like an ATI fan.... either system is good for 1920x1200

ati just wins for 2560x1600 because of the higher bandwidth

Not really. I am currently running a 4870X2 and 2 4850s Xfired in my machines. Look at my profile. However the 4870X2 card WILL outperform the 275 at 1920x1200. At lower resolutions an X2 solution is a waste. May as well just run a single card and still get 60 FPS. Besides whats the difference between 50 and 100 FPS? Nothing your eye can see.

July 15, 2009 8:24:29 PM

Kaldor said:

thanks for the heads up on the lclc. il look into other coolers

well right now i only have a 19-inch monitor(NOOOO) but within the next few months (maybe for christmas or something) i will prob get a 23.6" @ 1920*1080 so yeah
July 15, 2009 8:25:17 PM

Kaldor said:
Yeah, but unless your going to do heavy overclocking and be willing to lap it, their are good cheap solutions. Xig 1283 with retention bracket for like $40 is still hard to beat.

Not really. I am currently running a 4870X2 and 2 4850s Xfired in my machines. Look at my profile. However the 4870X2 card WILL outperform the 275 at 1920x1200. At lower resolutions an X2 solution is a waste. May as well just run a single card and still get 60 FPS. Besides whats the difference between 50 and 100 FPS? Nothing your eye can see.

obviously the GTX 275 isn't in the same league as the 4870X2
July 15, 2009 8:32:57 PM

hunter315 said:
Except geofelt didnt address the price difference of the parts given. Its over a hundred dollars difference between the two systems. I dont know where geofelt got the prices for the parts but they were either the wrong prices or the wrong parts.

For upgrade potential the AMD system wins as the 1366 socket is going to be phased out before the AM3 socket, and hopefully AMD will do an AM3+ socket before moving on again, but the 920 is supposed to be phased out by intel and moved into the 1156 so while they are equal in immediate value, the upgrades he can get out of the AMD 2 or 3 years down the line are alot better than the I7

I just linked to the products at the web sites that the OP referenced. I do not know if the prices should be before/after rebate. I tend to count on getting rebates.
The differences did not include shipping or tax differences if any. The big savings came from the much cheaper gigabyte X58 motherboard.

For upgrade potential, the 1366 socket will support the upcoming 6 core 32nm gulftown i9 processor. No need for anything stronger than that for a long time.

The i5 and 1156 socket will be a good value for the new build when it arrives sometime before the end of the year.
July 15, 2009 8:47:47 PM

TerminatorXT said:
obviously the GTX 275 isn't in the same league as the 4870X2

This is true, but then when you decide on buying the second 275 and Sli'ing the 4870x2 will not stand a chance....
July 15, 2009 9:06:55 PM

hunter315 said:

i think he counted it without taxes/shipping and with the mail-in rebates already counted

yeah i thought about that. intel doesnt have a single chosen socket right now. lga775 is dead, 1366 is already dying. they need a better plan unfortunately
July 15, 2009 9:14:08 PM

OvrClkr said:
This is true, but then when you decide on buying the second 275 and Sli'ing the 4870x2 will not stand a chance....

true but for that i would have to get a better mobo than the gigabyte to do it well

and if i add another 4870x2 (for some unknown reason so far) not even tri-sli will stand a chance
July 15, 2009 9:30:53 PM

geofelt said:

1) Cost differential:
i7 cpu costs + $24
6gb of ram costs +$11
total $37 difference.
2) What do you get:

You get hyperthreading.

Toms built these two systems to the same price
http://www.tomshardware.com/review [...] ,2360.html

The at stock speeds and higher resolutions and quality settings the Phenom is consistently ahead of the i7 rig .
This is precisely what a number of us have been saying for some time . The strongest processors doesnt necessarily make the best gaming computer , and it especially doesnt make the best gaming computer when it diverts money that could otherwise be spent on a better gfx card .
Theres also a lot of reviews on the net showing that frame rates fluctuate a lot more on i7 rigs . Even if both processors are teamed with the same gfx card the minimum fps will be lower at times with an i7 build.

The OP's phenom build will be the better gamer , though it will run behind the i7 in some other tasks .
IMO thats not important because I would never sit and watch my computer encode anything . Id just go get a coffee or a beer or whatever .
But I dont do those things when I game , because every time I turn away someone shoots me LOL
July 15, 2009 9:34:29 PM

alberthynek said:
true but for that i would have to get a better mobo than the gigabyte to do it well

and if i add another 4870x2 (for some unknown reason so far) not even tri-sli will stand a chance

Maybe you forgot that the mobo you will be using for the 275 is the P6T (Asus).. So no need for another mobo... ;)  ;) 
July 15, 2009 9:56:36 PM

I would say something that a lot of peoples are going to flame me for, but...

Phenom II X3
Dual PCIe 8X motherboard
two 4870 cards

You are going to save more than 40% of the cost of your motherboard, cpu and memory over the 2 others for a marginal sacrifice.

With the 250$, get a Corsair 850HX instead and spend the rest on a good sound card.
July 15, 2009 10:06:25 PM

redgarl said:
I would say something that a lot of peoples are going to flame me for, but...

Phenom II X3
Dual PCIe 8X motherboard
two 4870 cards

You are going to save more than 40% of the cost of your motherboard, cpu and memory over the 2 others for a marginal sacrifice.

With the 250$, get a Corsair 850HX instead and spend the rest on a good sound card.

I am not gonna flame you cause it looks like you have a lot to learn, but since you are entitled to your own opinion I have to respect that.....
July 15, 2009 10:34:51 PM

OvrClkr said:
Maybe you forgot that the mobo you will be using for the 275 is the P6T (Asus).. So no need for another mobo... ;)  ;) 

crap sorry. i thought u were talking about using that gigabyte board that was mentioned earlier

the thing is to be able to get that second 275 i would have to pay another $280 for slightly better performance. its not worth paying for me
July 15, 2009 10:38:17 PM

redgarl said:
Phhh... fanboy...

Here for your concern on what happens with one card configuration...

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/phenom-x4-955,2278.html

http://media.bestofmicro.com/8/S/206380/original/image032.png

http://media.bestofmicro.com/8/U/206382/original/image034.png

And here the difference with a 2X4870 with many X3, X4 and Core i7... marginal...

http://enthusiast.hardocp.com/article.html?art=MTY0NCwxLCxoZW50aHVzaWFzdA==

yeah i agree to some degree with his idea. for most games it wouldnt make much of a difference, but for some other games and other applications it would. And i dont need a modular psu the HAF has enough space behind the side panel. So far i've been relatively happy with my onboard sound on my current computer, and if i end up needing/wanting a better sound card il get a Xonar DX
July 16, 2009 12:17:26 AM

alberthynek said:
yeah i agree to some degree with his idea. for most games it wouldnt make much of a difference, but for some other games and other applications it would. And i dont need a modular psu the HAF has enough space behind the side panel. So far i've been relatively happy with my onboard sound on my current computer, and if i end up needing/wanting a better sound card il get a Xonar DX

I didn't recommend the Corsair 850 HX because it's modular, but because it's the cheapest 850W 80plus GOLD meaning 90% efficiency at any power.

For exemple, the only one available was a Seasonic M II 12 850 costing around 100$ more.

For the sound experience and the marginal cost, I can hardly understand why peoples are neglecting sound cards. It's like going to the movie theater and listening to 2 cheap stereo speakers.

A good sound card is a must, the difference is big after a good tuning.
July 16, 2009 12:23:19 AM

No the difference is negligible especially if you arent willing to drop $100 on a sound card. The onboard HDA on the Asus M4A79T Deluxe motherboard i just got is better than the audigy sound card i used to use. 90% of people cant tell the difference between lower quality sound and high definition audio anyway so no its not a must for the majority of people. Unless you know you will be able to tell the difference or you need it for audio work it is best left out unless you decide that you want higher quality sound.
July 16, 2009 12:25:06 AM

redgarl said:
Phhh... fanboy...

Here for your concern on what happens with one card configuration...

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/phenom-x4-955,2278.html

http://media.bestofmicro.com/8/S/206380/original/image032.png

http://media.bestofmicro.com/8/U/206382/original/image034.png

And here the difference with a 2X4870 with many X3, X4 and Core i7... marginal...

http://enthusiast.hardocp.com/article.html?art=MTY0NCwxLCxoZW50aHVzaWFzdA==

First of all what does this chart have to do with your recommendation? And second the reason I posted that is due to the fact that your setup does not make any sense at all. Looks like you are confused son. You posted :

Phenom II X3
Dual PCIe 8X motherboard <-- lol ----
two 4870 cards

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is by FAR the most ridiculous setup ever created by man-kind.

Btw I am a Fanboy of both Intel and AMD.. Next time instead of posting some nonsense, do your research and write something that makes sense.
July 16, 2009 12:33:39 AM

redgarl said:
I didn't recommend the Corsair 850 HX because it's modular, but because it's the cheapest 850W 80plus GOLD meaning 90% efficiency at any power.

For exemple, the only one available was a Seasonic M II 12 850 costing around 100$ more.

For the sound experience and the marginal cost, I can hardly understand why peoples are neglecting sound cards. It's like going to the movie theater and listening to 2 cheap stereo speakers.

A good sound card is a must, the difference is big after a good tuning.

in that case im sorry bout the 850hx. i checked its only about $40 more, so if i have some extra cash i MIGHT get it, u never know

about the sound card, i agree that its a pretty big difference if u spend at elast $100 on a good one, but for me for now i dont need one
July 16, 2009 12:36:13 AM

For some reason there is always someone (know-it-all) that has to hijack a thread just to get attention.

And I thought i was being respectful by saying that he was entiltled to his own opinion.... Next time I will be a lil more harsh....
July 16, 2009 1:28:19 AM

anyway im not considering an x3 at all

or a 4870(or 2 of them)

that would leave absolutely no upgradeability and thats what im trying to avoid
July 16, 2009 1:33:06 AM

alberthynek said:
anyway im not considering an x3 at all

or a 4870(or 2 of them)

that would leave absolutely no upgradeability and thats what im trying to avoid

Of course not, you already now what to get and if you need any additional info or help just let me know.....

!