Sign in with
Your question

Gigabyte GA-P55A-UD4P aftermarket cooler question

Last response: in Motherboards
January 8, 2010 1:53:09 AM

Hello, I just built a new system and everything works fine. My only problem is I bought an Arctic-Cooling Freezer 7 Pro Rev.2 after-market cooler and it does not fit. I do not wish to modify this cooler to make it fit.

I installed it the correct way and it would not fit due to the giant heat sync of the motherboard. I tried installing it with the fan facing the top of my case but it blocked a RAM slot that way.

My question is has anyone with this same motherboard found a good after-market CPU cooler that fits correctly on the motherboard with no modifications?

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I do not wish to attempt an over-clock until I can switch from the stock CPU fan to a better after-market one.
January 10, 2010 2:53:55 AM

I have the same motherboard and cooler. Point the cooler fan towards the rear of the case. I had to trim a little plastic off the fan cage to clear the mobo heatsink. Pop the fan cage off; cut off the lower corner of the cage next to the motherboard heatsink. When installed; the fins of the CPU cooler will touch the mobo heat sink but it's no big deal.
m
l
January 10, 2010 10:48:34 PM

I am using a Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus on my GA P55A UD4P. Clears the heat sink just fine. The latest revision of this cooler also allows easy sliding up of the fan (fan mount uses plastic moulding instead of wire clips) so you can slide it up in case your RAM has tall heat spreaders.
m
l
Related resources
January 31, 2010 2:16:39 PM

cyclocommuter said:
I am using a Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus on my GA P55A UD4P. Clears the heat sink just fine. The latest revision of this cooler also allows easy sliding up of the fan (fan mount uses plastic moulding instead of wire clips) so you can slide it up in case your RAM has tall heat spreaders.

Are you overclocking with that heatskink/cooling fan? if yes, how is that working out?
m
l
February 1, 2010 10:48:04 AM

No I am running at stock speeds... I am content with turbo. HWMonitor shows cores idling at around 27 to 31 C (24 C ambient). Max temps at load (rendering H.264 videos) is 49 to 51 C.
m
l
February 1, 2010 2:28:07 PM

cyclocommuter said:

Awesome, sounds good. I will probably try that then. Thanks a lot for the info.
m
l
February 1, 2010 4:02:38 PM

The Noctua NH-U12P SE2 also fits just fine, except the pusher fan covers the DRAM slot nearest the CPU such that you cannot use DRAM with fins in that one slot. At least not fins that are longer than 6mm.

Regular heat spreader plates fit fine, but there's a possibility of dead air below the fan.

If you only have two sticks of DRAM, they go in the second and fourth slot from the CPU so it isn't a problem.
m
l
March 4, 2010 8:35:53 PM

Will the Titan fenrir fit????
m
l
!