285 GTX Build..need opinions

7 answers Last reply
More about build need opinions
  1. You cannot SLI with your motherboard... Just Crossfire. I recommend you switch out the GTX285 for a HIS ATI 4890 from Newegg ($199... I believe). It has similar performance and gives you the option to Crossfire as well.

It you want to SLI, you'll need to go with the a Nvidia AM3 980i MOBO or move to a Core i7 920 build.

edit: Also, I recommend going with the Western Digital 640 GB Black OEM hard drive for $5 more. It is a better & faster hard drive.
  2. tecmo34 said:
    You cannot SLI with your motherboard... Just Crossfire. I recommend you switch out the GTX285 for a HIS ATI 4890 from Newegg ($199... I believe). It has similar performance and gives you the option to Crossfire as well.

It you want to SLI, you'll need to go with the a Nvidia AM3 980i MOBO or move to a Core i7 920 build.

edit: Also, I recommend going with the Western Digital 640 GB Black OEM hard drive for $5 more. It is a better & faster hard drive.

Ahhh I see.
  3. Corsair 750TX
    Core i7 920
    Foxconn Bloodrage GTI
    Western Digital Caviar Black 640gb / OCZ Platinum 6gb DDR3 1600
    GTX 275

Current total: $1,057.44 | After rebates: $1004.44

The price/performance ratio for the GTX 285 isn't worth it. A GTX 275 will offer similar, if not the same frame rates as the 285. I realize I didn't add a case, but that's a personal choice. You cannot sli with amd.

I don't want anybody coming in here and talking smack about the Bloodrage. Its a budget board with four pci-e 2.0 lanes. Even if the op doesn't use them all, They are spaced apart better than other motherboards, allowing better gpu cooling. Not to mention it's actually a really good overclocker, people have been getting upto 4.0ghz with it.
  4. not moose said:
    Corsair 750TX
    Core i7 920
    Foxconn Bloodrage GTI
    Western Digital Caviar Black 640gb / OCZ Platinum 6gb DDR3 1600
    GTX 275

Current total: $1,057.44 | After rebates: $1004.44

The price/performance ratio for the GTX 285 isn't worth it. A GTX 275 will offer similar, if not the same frame rates as the 285. I realize I didn't add a case, but that's a personal choice. You cannot sli with amd.

I don't want anybody coming in here and talking smack about the Bloodrage. Its a budget board with four pci-e 2.0 lanes. Even if the op doesn't use them all, They are spaced apart better than other motherboards, allowing better gpu cooling. Not to mention it's actually a really good overclocker, people have been getting upto 4.0ghz with it.

Thanks for the input but I think I am gonna just go with 4890 Xfire since I don't really want i7.
  5. RAM:
    You have DDR2 listed here. Maybe the motherboard can do both but if you are building a high end system you will find situations where your RAM bandwidth is too low.

I highly recommend using DDR3 1600MHz.

Graphics:
    If you go with ATI then you'll be missing PhysX support if that's important too you. ATI claims physics support is coming. We'll see. I imagine SC2 and Diablo3's Havok engine will work with NVidia, ATI and CPUs.

NVidia just released it's 40nm low-end desktop graphics cards so will the high-end ones be available within the next two months?

If I was building a new PC I'd consider holding out and getting an SLI system with two high-end 40nm cards or preferably a single card with higher than GTX 275 performance.
  6. photonboy said:
    RAM:
    You have DDR2 listed here. Maybe the motherboard can do both but if you are building a high end system you will find situations where your RAM bandwidth is too low.

I highly recommend using DDR3 1600MHz.

Graphics:
    If you go with ATI then you'll be missing PhysX support if that's important too you. ATI claims physics support is coming. We'll see. I imagine SC2 and Diablo3's Havok engine will work with NVidia, ATI and CPUs.

NVidia just released it's 40nm low-end desktop graphics cards so will the high-end ones be available within the next two months?

If I was building a new PC I'd consider holding out and getting an SLI system with two high-end 40nm cards or preferably a single card with higher than GTX 275 performance.

ATI has Havok engine and NVidia has physX; ATI released its 40mn a couple of mounths ago. ( 4770). I am waiting till the end of the year when windows 7 and directx11 comes out untill I build my cpu and SDD's become cheaper
  7. The ASUS M4A79T Deluxe AM3 DDR3 motherboard supports DDR3 RAM only. The DDR2 RAM you listed is not compatible with that motherboard. This kit is a good price for DDR3 1600 CAS 7 RAM:

OCZ Platinum 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model OCZ3P16004GK - Retail
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227297 $75.99
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build Systems Product