I7-920 Build - Final Check

ob1ivi0n

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2009
Hey guys
I'm looking to upgrade to a desktop since I no longer need the portability of a laptop. I've done a bit research into the components so I know what I'm looking for, but I would still appreciate any comments or suggestions you guys can give me.
One of the problems is that I live in New Zealand, so not only does the exchange rate work against me but prices are generally more expensive over here anyway (ha ha, you guys don't know how lucky you are =P ).

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: 2-4 weeks

BUDGET RANGE: About USD$1300 worth of components. (Spending USD$1900)

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Gaming, Uni Work

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: Keyboard, Mouse

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: www.pp.co.nz / www.ascent.co.nz / www.nzoczone.com (all NZ sites)

PARTS PREFERENCES: I'm pretty much set on an i7-920 system.

OVERCLOCKING: Yes, in the near future but not very high. Probably 3.2-3.4 with the i7-920.

SLI OR CROSSFIRE: Getting SLI to keep my options open for future upgrades would be nice, but in general I prefer a single card.

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1920x1080

CPU: Intel Core i7-920 Retail

Motherboard: Asus P6T SE

Memory: G.Skill NQ Series PC3-12800 3x2GB CAS9

Video Card: Gigabyte GTX 275 896MB

Optical drive: LG GH22NS30

Hard Disk Drive: Western Digital 1TB Caviar Black WD1001FALS

Power Supply: Corsair TX650W

Sound Card: Creative Sound Blaster Audigy Value 24-bit/96 kHz/100 dB SNR/7.1 channel surround

Monitor: BenQ G2220HD

Case: NZXT Zero2

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS:
I know I'm going to need something other than the intel stock fan for any decent overclocking, but I'll leave it a few months first before I start tweaking.
The memory is only CAS9 compared to the OCZ platinum/reaper with CAS7. From what I can see CAS doesn't make a big difference, but would the OCZ reaper be worth the extra $24?(NZD$212 up to NZD$236)

r_manic

Administrator
You can do without the sound card. It's quite unnecessary unless you're going to do pro-quality music/sound editing work—unless you want to pollute your workspace with 8 audio components (good luck getting any work done!).

Also, you running a 64-bit OS? 6GB of RAM is overkill for your typical Windows flavor. If you're sticking with a 32-bit version of Windows, 3GB will do quite nicely.

Now, feel free to send me the savings you'll get from my advice please. Thanks. :D

ob1ivi0n

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2009
Yeah, I plan to run 64-bit windows on this, so 6GB won't go to waste.

That's a good idea about the sound card; someone I know said it was essential, but then again he plays rhythm games all the time so he's probably a bit biased =D. I've been living off integrated for years now anyway so it's not taking a step down.
A sound card is the sort of component I can keep an eye on anyway and get one when I see it on a good special.

Cheers!

(I assure you that the cheque is in the mail. If you fail to receive it please feel free to blame your local post office =P )

wingertm

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2009
I'd consider a higher rated power supply, especially if you plan to upgrade to SLI someday. I would go with at least 850W. I am building an i7-920 system as well right now and personally went with the Corsair TX850W power supply. You also need to keep in mind the number of PCIe connector as well - if your video card requires 2 of these connectors, then you are going to need 4 of them for SLI.

ob1ivi0n

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2009
The Asus P6T SE doesn't have SLI support, but it's the cheapest motherboard by a fair amount at the moment.
I'm also looking at the Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R SLI, but if I had to make a decision this instant I would stick with the asus.

However if it comes down in price then I might take your advice and look at a better PSU. Even though I don't care for SLI much at the moment, I could change my mind in the future.

Hmm, the next step up in sound cards is almost double the price.
Half of me says I won't even notice the difference.
The other half tells me that if I'm going to spend all this on a computer, I might as well get it right.

I will keep thinking.

Thanks for the input guys, much appreciated. =)

radiowars

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2009

Well, either get a cheaper PSU or get a more expensive motherboard, and a more expensive PSU.
http://www.pp.co.nz/products.php?pp_id=AA10516
This will EASILY power that GTX 275, and gives you plenty of room to upgrade.
It's 50$ cheaper, so save yourself some money and just go with what you need. You won't notice the 150W you won't be using.