M4A78 Plus and Dual Channel

Henderson

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2010
I've had the M4A78 Plus for slightly over 5 months now. I've tried all the BIOS and driver updates for the motherboard, and can never get my ram to operate in dual channel, it's always indicated as unganged.

Right now I'm using BIOS 1206 (I'm about to try upgrading to 1214 but I'm really not hopeful that will change anything). All drivers are most current releases.
CPU is AMD Phenom II X2 550 Black Edition Callisto 3.1 GHz Socket AM3 80W Dual-Core Processor Model HDZ550WFGIBOX - Retail.
Memory is Corsair CM2X2048-6400C5, which IS listed in the motherboard manual under the Qualified Vendors List. Both sticks are in the first 2 gold slots.

Is there anything about these parts that anyone can see as incompatible with this motherboard? Nothing is overclocked at all, basically just running in default.

Anyone have any suggestions? This is on top of the constant "network cable unplugged" issue that keeps popping up.

WinXP Pro SP2
9800GT Video card

Thanks for any help.

roonj

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2009
Ganged or Unganged is not related to dual channel, it is a method of how memory is addressed to multiple applications/multicore processor's.
To verify your running in dual channel use CPU-Z free software, it will identify either single channel or dual channel.
Unganged has the broadest benefit, ganged is more specific.

Henderson

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2010
I already tried CPU-Z but maybe I looked in the wrong spot. Under Chipset for the motherboard it says: Channels: Dual, (Unganged). I thought that referred to what the motherboard was capable of.

Under Memory, which is where I expected to read if the it's running dual channel or not, there's nothing about dual channel there.

I've used strictly Asus motherboards for the last 10 years or so, and they always clearly say "dual channel" on the boot up screen where it lists the memory. This one doesn't.

So from what CPU-Z says, does that mean I'm really running dual channel now as is?

TRENDING THREADS