Sign in with
Your question
Solved

RAID 0 boot drive ok, single HDD SATA6 not seen?

Last response: in Storage
April 11, 2011 6:43:49 PM

Hello,

Sorry if this has been answered. I searched, and rtfm'd, and may have missed it.

New build, so I am willing to start over if necessary.

Windows 7, sp1, fully updated installed on 2 WD 640 SATA3 HDDs in RAID 0, Asus P8P67 Deluxe. I got a 1T WD SATA6 drive to use as a backup, and plugged it internally (I do have a swappable external USB enclosure that I can put it in, but the rig has lots of room).

The BIOS sees the drive on the port, and the Intel Rapid Storage Technology tool sees it as "available".

When I go into Windows Explorer, it is not listed at all. I see the C: drive, a D: "System Reserved" drive (which I figure is on C:) , and the burner.

What gives?

Is it because I have the SATA control set to RAID that it won't see any non-RAID HDDs in Windows?

I'm an amateur I know, but bear with me. I like reading, but I'm not always sure what it means.

Thanks for your help!

Best solution

a c 372 G Storage
April 11, 2011 7:06:49 PM

Did you go into disk management and initialize/format the drive? Once you do that it will show up in explorer.
April 11, 2011 10:49:39 PM

Hawkeye22 said:
Did you go into disk management and initialize/format the drive? Once you do that it will show up in explorer.

*facepalm*

Thank you! The D: was not on the RAID at all, but a "reserved" part of the un-initialized 1T drive (now drive F: ). I assumed that it must be a reserved section (which I can't say I saw on the previous machine, but have seen on laptops) on the main disc.

Have initialized, and do see! Double the capacity now, thanks again! :) 

EDIT: Went in and removed the second "reserved" (there is one on the C: boot drive that I left) that was on the unallocated storage disc. Now it's the full amount available for storage and backup - thanks again!
m
l
April 11, 2011 10:49:50 PM

Best answer selected by Lost in Specs.
m
l
!