Overclocking an IBM 600E????

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
a b K Overclocking
a b D Laptop
April 27, 2004 1:01:28 AM

Hi
Has anyone ever heard of clocking a 366MHz to a 600MHz in a 600E??
If so,, How???
Thanks
Jim
An Old Parrot Head,
In the Conch Republic,
Just South of Reality

More about : overclocking ibm 600e

Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
a b D Laptop
April 27, 2004 5:20:03 AM

jj_bpk@bellsouth.net wrote:
> Hi
> Has anyone ever heard of clocking a 366MHz to a 600MHz in a 600E??
> If so,, How???
> Thanks
> Jim
> An Old Parrot Head,
> In the Conch Republic,
> Just South of Reality

Seems to me, last time we heard from you, you machine ran at a leisurely
150 Mhz. Any chance your girl friend being back from Miami, your heart
rate went up?

--
John Doue
Anonymous

Well John things change,,,
Girl friend still is learning to talk,,
and I am about to eBay the Fujitsu and jump a 600e,,,
We may be isolated here in the Conch republic,, but not slow..
Thanks for your concern.. what do u know about clocking the 600E???
Jim
An Old Parrot Head,
In the Conch Republic,
Just South of Reality
a b K Overclocking
a b D Laptop
April 27, 2004 6:34:18 AM

jj_bpk@bellsouth.net wrote:
> Hi
> Has anyone ever heard of clocking a 366MHz to a 600MHz in a 600E??
> If so,, How???

Can't be done. Fastest processor upgrade in the 600E is the Intel PII 400MHz
MMC-2 module.

Hardly worth the effort on a laptop with a 366MHz processor.

Sell it on eBay and get yourself a 600X.

Regards,

James
Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
a b D Laptop
April 27, 2004 6:34:19 AM

Thanks James,,

I have this plan to pick up a used laptop,, something a couple years old,, that runs,, maybe a
400MHz processor,, cd drive,, Memory ?? hardfile ???... win 98 nice,, win xp a +++... battery
optional (I'd use AC)

I want to create a machine that the wife, girl friend, & I can take on vacation,, use maybe 5-7
times a year,, receive
email,, as backup storage to the digital camera,, and of course play solitaire,,, & one that sits in
the closet for months...

Dell and others will put you in the drivers seat for around 500-700 bucks,,, problem is I refuse to
spend that much on a machine that is planned to run about 20 hours a year....

I was given a Fujitsu 150MHz,, but it's to slow and max'es out at 96mb,, can't run XP,,

So I found this TP 600e,, 366MHz, 160mb sdram, 10BG HF, DVD, diskette drv, & XP Pro,, for under
$300, delivered.

The chap selling it says "366mhz P2, can be clocked to 600mHz ",,, so I'm curious...

As I don't plan to drag PhotoShop over,, this should fit the bill...

Thanks
Jim
An Old Parrot Head,
In the Conch Republic,
Just South of Reality
Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
a b D Laptop
April 27, 2004 10:54:54 AM

On Mon, 26 Apr 2004 22:58:05 -0400, <jj_bpk@bellsouth.net> wrote:
>So I found this TP 600e,, 366MHz, 160mb sdram, 10BG HF, DVD, diskette drv, & XP Pro,, for under
>$300, delivered.
>
>The chap selling it says "366mhz P2, can be clocked to 600mHz ",,, so I'm curious...
>
>As I don't plan to drag PhotoShop over,, this should fit the bill...

James is right - you can't "overclock" a 600E. The fastest Intel
chip that uses that bus speed is 400Mhz, not worth the effort. Your
eBay seller might have been thinking of the 600X which *can* be
upgraded to as much as 850Mhz; even then you're out more dough since
the chips cost money. Noting you've written indicates you need more
clock cycles, so stop worrying.
Now, can I ask you something: what's with all the commas?
Emanuel
Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
a b D Laptop
April 27, 2004 11:25:14 AM

Emanuel

Thanks,, I really am not looking to OC this puppy,, just curious about this guys comment...

Your right,, a 366MHz is all I need on the road,,, and sitting in the closet...

about the ,,,, I am an undiagnosed partial dyslectic and need to reread notes frequently,, I put
commas' in to slow my eyes down,, so I can separate groups of words and fix the mistakes as I write
& reread,, I didn't find out about it until I was in my 40'ts,, I make up for it naturally,, at the
same time I found out about the reading problem,, I was asked to join mensa,,, seems I have been
compensating for it for a long time,,, for professional published stuff I use an editor.. spell
cker's aren't context sensitive and I don't like any of the software that is..

OK,, There you guys know about my wife, girl friend's bullet hole, and my head,, sometime I'll tell
you about Paradise Concierge & the girls..

plastic in on the bar,, next one's on me...

a b K Overclocking
a b D Laptop
April 27, 2004 9:54:05 PM

Max cpu speed for the PII MMC2 that the 600E will take is 400MHz. It wont POST
with anything else. Been there, done that... wont work. Max out the RAM, go
with a 7200rpm hard drive.

TJ

> Hi
> Has anyone ever heard of clocking a 366MHz to a 600MHz in a 600E??
> If so,, How???
> Thanks
> Jim
> An Old Parrot Head,
> In the Conch Republic,
> Just South of Reality

The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.
Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
a b D Laptop
April 27, 2004 9:54:06 PM

Wild Bill

Good point about the hd,, it has a 10gb, As this will be a closet queen most of the year,, I will
live with what it has for know..
BUT what brand(s) and size(s) hd would you suggest??

Also,, What is the max mem?? It currently has 160mb (32mb+128mb),, I'm thinking 544mb ??
32mb(on-board) + 256mb(2 SDRAM(s)) ?? Per :
http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?...

Thanks
Jim
An Old Parrot Head,
In the Conch Republic,
Just South of Reality
Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
a b D Laptop
April 27, 2004 9:57:01 PM

jj_bpk@bellsouth.net wrote:

> Thanks James,,
>
> I have this plan to pick up a used laptop,, something a couple years old,, that runs,, maybe a
> 400MHz processor,, cd drive,, Memory ?? hardfile ???... win 98 nice,, win xp a +++... battery
> optional (I'd use AC)
>
> I want to create a machine that the wife, girl friend, & I can take on vacation,, use maybe 5-7
> times a year,, receive
> email,, as backup storage to the digital camera,, and of course play solitaire,,, & one that sits in
> the closet for months...
>
> Dell and others will put you in the drivers seat for around 500-700 bucks,,, problem is I refuse to
> spend that much on a machine that is planned to run about 20 hours a year....
>
> I was given a Fujitsu 150MHz,, but it's to slow and max'es out at 96mb,, can't run XP,,
>
> So I found this TP 600e,, 366MHz, 160mb sdram, 10BG HF, DVD, diskette drv, & XP Pro,, for under
> $300, delivered.
>
> The chap selling it says "366mhz P2, can be clocked to 600mHz ",,, so I'm curious...

He's telling stories. If he sticks to his story, go elsewhere, if he lies about
that, you cant believe anything about the auction item.

The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.
Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
a b D Laptop
April 28, 2004 1:08:45 AM

jj_bpk@bellsouth.net wrote:

> Wild Bill
>
> Good point about the hd,, it has a 10gb, As this will be a closet queen most of the year,, I will live with what it has for know..
> BUT what brand(s) and size(s) hd would you suggest??

Jim,

It depends on what you want to do.. for the dig. video/pics if the 10GB still
has room then a 20GB, still cheap, would be good for not too much money. The
5400 and 7200rpm drives start at approx $60 for 20GB and up. The 600's will
take up to 80GB so far.. Fujitsu, Hitachi are the two main drive mgfr's. If
you search for Travelstar, you'll find a lot listed. The larger drives are
usually faster... 40, 60 and 80GB size are most likely 7200rpm, prices starting
about $120+.

> Also,, What is the max mem?? It currently has 160mb (32mb+128mb),, I'm thinking 544mb ??
> 32mb(on-board) + 256mb(2 SDRAM(s)) ?? Per :
> http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?...

The total listed by IBM is old because the larger SODIMMs weren't out yet. The
600's max out at 288, 600E's, 256+256+32=544, and X's max at 576,
256+256+64=576.

I'm just running a 5400rpm 20GB HD and 576MB RAM in my 600X. Bought another
600X yesterday that I'll be looking for a larger, faster drive drive myself.

Good luck,

TJ

> Thanks
> Jim
> An Old Parrot Head,
> In the Conch Republic,
> Just South of Reality

The beatings will continue until morale improves.
Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
a b D Laptop
April 28, 2004 1:12:57 AM

Clarifications:

"Capt. Wild Bill Kelso, USAAC" wrote:

> Jim,

5400 drives start at approx $60 for 20GB and up.

The larger drives are usually faster... New 40, 60 and 80GB size are 7200rpm,
prices starting about $120.

TJ
The beatings will continue until morale improves.
Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
a b D Laptop
April 28, 2004 1:12:58 AM

Bill,
Your next round is on me..
This should keep me in trouble for a couple weeks...
I'll be back...
Next is the dreaded wifi topic,, a router for the house,, and wifi PC card for on the road...
Thanks
Jim
An Old Parrot Head,
In the Conch Republic,
Just South of Reality
Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
a b D Laptop
April 28, 2004 3:05:03 AM

jj_bpk@bellsouth.net wrote:
> Bill,
> Your next round is on me..
> This should keep me in trouble for a couple weeks...
> I'll be back...
> Next is the dreaded wifi topic,, a router for the house,, and wifi PC card for on the road...
> Thanks
> Jim
> An Old Parrot Head,
> In the Conch Republic,
> Just South of Reality

Jim,

Assuming you really have a bar and it can be found in the Conch
Republic, I guess you will soon no longer need this NG to guess educated
advices: your bar must be full of "experts" taking you on this "next
round on me" promise...Wish I was closer than 4 hours drive!

--
John Doue
Anonymous

jj_bpk@bellsouth.net wrote:

> Bill,
> Your next round is on me..
> This should keep me in trouble for a couple weeks...
> I'll be back...
> Next is the dreaded wifi topic,, a router for the house,, and wifi PC card for on the road...
> Thanks
> Jim
> An Old Parrot Head,
> In the Conch Republic,
> Just South of Reality

Hey Jim,

I'm a pilot for an airline out here in the desert SW and do trips to Tampa,
Orlando, and 'Lauderdale regularly... my fav drink is just plain 'ol MGD...
I'll look you up next trip down there...

btw, I was based in MIA for the last airline I flew for, American bEagle. We
did trips to Marathon and Key West. I remember a little hot sauce shop on the
main drag, north side of the street, across from... hmmm... a Ramada Inn, I
think? ...it used to be a little gas station... and had a room in the back with
sauces so hot, you needed a doctors release to try them :)

"Welcome aboard ... West flight 533, service to Margaritaville, with continuing
service to the Banana Republic... Those with window seats will be able to see
'Fins to the left, fins to the right...'

TJ
The beatings will continue until morale improves.
Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
a b D Laptop
April 28, 2004 4:29:13 AM

On Tue, 27 Apr 2004 07:25:14 -0400, <jj_bpk@bellsouth.net> wrote:
>about the ,,,, I am an undiagnosed partial dyslectic and need to reread notes frequently,, I put
>commas' in to slow my eyes down,,

I thought it was some sort of hardware issue, like you were using a
phone or Blackberry or something without easy access to a space key.
My brother writes me e-mails the same way when he's using his phone,
but I didn't think you could reach Usenet that way, so I asked. Thanks
for the explanation.
Emanuel
Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
a b D Laptop
May 2, 2004 5:53:55 PM

Jim,

jj_bpk@bellsouth.net wrote:
> Bill,
> Your next round is on me..

Aw geeze, just what we need, somebody offering the pilot a libation!

Back up front where you belong Teege, First Class is reserved for a better
class of people than Zoomies!

> Next is the dreaded wifi topic,, a router for the house,, and wifi PC
> card for on the road... Thanks

Almost any PC WiFi card will work in the 600E, some better than others. I
tend to prefer the 3COM PC WiFi card with the "X-Jack" antenna, I've got one
of these in my 600X:

http://www.3com.com/products/en_US/detail.jsp?tab=featu...
and it works just great. But I also have several of the 802.11b X-Jack cards
for other devices and they're also trouble free. I purchased the most recent
two on eBay for less than $20!

I prefer these cards for several reasons, but primary among them are the
fact that when the antenna is housed the laptop will still fit in it's case
as there's nothing (or _very_ little) protruding from the slot, and the
antenna is a positive indicator of the antenna's power state. Housed, it's
off and doesn't drain the battery, extended it's on.

Regards,

James
Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
a b D Laptop
May 2, 2004 9:27:57 PM

Yeah, just what we need another drunk pilot trying to fly outta Florida..

;)

!