Sign in with
Your question

Getting lower FPS in games with my new Hard Drive

Last response: in Storage
April 11, 2011 10:46:50 PM

Hi guys. Last week my 500 GB Seagate hard drive went out and I didn't back up any of my files unfortunately. However my real problem now is that ever since I bought a new Western Digital 1TB hard drive as a replacement http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=22-136-...
my frame rates in games have dropped. My specs are a Phenom II x4 945, 4gb ddr2 800 G skill PI ram, Windows 7 64-bit, Sapphire ati 4870, and the new WD drive which I got for its 64mb cache even though I can't utilize all its speed with only an SATA II motherboard. In Bad company 2 I used to get 40-70 Frames and now they can drop to as low as 26 in game. To verify that i didn't damage my video card I bought an ati 5770 (Don't worry I can return it) and I still get low FPS 25-40 even though they should be way higher. I also recently reformatted the new drive and have uninstalled/installed new ati drivers and disabled windows automatic device driver finding software. So If anybody has some input as to what I need to do next It would be greatly appreciated as I cannot even play games that have been relatively easy to max out in the past.
April 11, 2011 10:51:39 PM

It's probably the SATA II connection that's giving you trouble.

My rig originally ran on one of those drives, and it performed admirably. Now I have two of them in RAID 0 and I boot from a 64GB SSD, giving me optimal performance.
m
l
April 11, 2011 11:10:07 PM

But after doing some research on google I've read that SATA III is backwards compatible with SATA II drives. Also I'm using the drive right now so it must be something else.
m
l
Related resources
!